ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

To claim or not to claim?

Search this Thread

Old 17 July 2009, 08:55 PM
burbling1
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default To claim or not to claim?

My wife was out in the car tonight with the 3 kids in the car and someone crashed into the back of her.

Luckily everybody is ok just a little bit shaken. Looking at the car all it needs is a new rear bumper and a little scuff rubbing out of the boot. I have spoke to the other driver who asures me he has insurance but would rather pay for the repair in cash as apposed to claiming.

Has anyone been in this situation before and been stung by it or should I help him out and take the cash.

What are the chances of the car been written off needing a bumper and a boot painting.
Old 17 July 2009, 08:59 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Claim through the insurance, there are so many chancers out there who will say one thing and do the other as when the bill hits them they go "oh I never did that much damage" etc, do it the easy way, your not at fault anyway

Tony
Old 17 July 2009, 09:16 PM
bighead
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

+1
Old 17 July 2009, 09:19 PM
nick172sport
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by burbling1
My wife was out in the car tonight with the 3 kids in the car and someone crashed into the back of her.

Luckily everybody is ok just a little bit shaken. Looking at the car all it needs is a new rear bumper and a little scuff rubbing out of the boot. I have spoke to the other driver who asures me he has insurance but would rather pay for the repair in cash as apposed to claiming.

Has anyone been in this situation before and been stung by it or should I help him out and take the cash.

What are the chances of the car been written off needing a bumper and a boot painting.
you need tu have a good look in the boot area and underneath the car there might be more damage my wife gt hit and she thought just bumper had tu be jigged claim on his insurance theres proberly more damage than you think
Old 17 July 2009, 09:22 PM
SC00813
Scooby Newbie

Hi, we had similar situation. I took car into reputable garage and asked their opinion on severity, they reckoned ours was minor so we accepted the cash and got car fixed (saved on no claims and hassle). Worked for us but I agree with Tony there are some sharks out there who will dispute it when it comes to handing over cash. Good luck
Old 17 July 2009, 09:49 PM
bmposer
Scooby Regular

Did i hear you say someone's neck's hurting,

Sorry to hear this hope it all gets sorted quickly.
Old 17 July 2009, 09:58 PM
burbling1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bmposer
Did i hear you say someone's neck's hurting,

Sorry to hear this hope it all gets sorted quickly.

Yeh and the kids cant sleep keep having nightmares.
Old 17 July 2009, 10:02 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bighead
+1
+2

Bumper may look ok, but what about the reinforcement bars etc which it holds onto. Plastic bends back, whereas metal doesn't.

At least get it checked by a reputable garage. I presume you have the other persons details, should you choose not to claim (if the damage is actually minimal after said inspection)?

Hope you get it sorted anywho dude.
Old 17 July 2009, 10:21 PM
burbling1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
+2

Bumper may look ok, but what about the reinforcement bars etc which it holds onto. Plastic bends back, whereas metal doesn't.

At least get it checked by a reputable garage. I presume you have the other persons details, should you choose not to claim (if the damage is actually minimal after said inspection)?

Hope you get it sorted anywho dude.
I plan to go to a couple of bodyshops tomorrow for a look and a quote. Your right about the plastic bending back my concern is at the off side there is a hole in the bumper which has been caused by part of the chassis, looks like a piece of 30mm box section.

Have all the details of the other person.
Old 17 July 2009, 10:23 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

I plan to go to a couple of bodyshops tomorrow for a look and a quote. Your right about the plastic bending back my concern is at the off side there is a hole in the bumper which has been caused by part of the chassis, looks like a piece of 30mm box section.

Have all the details of the other person.
Keep us posted then. Also make sure the kids are ok. Shock can kick in a while afterwards on something like this, and I speak from experience.
Old 17 July 2009, 10:25 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Use the quote to scare them into coughing up the readies, and don't forget the kids nightmares, the screaming, etc.

And her indoors neck pains of course !

Good luck with the mess !

dunx

P.S. Andy, metal does bend back..... it's called a hammer ! LOL
Old 17 July 2009, 10:25 PM
burbling1
Scooby Regular

Will do fella and cheers.
Old 17 July 2009, 10:27 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dunx
Use the quote to scare them into coughing up the readies, and don't forget the kids nightmares, the screaming, etc.

And her indoors neck pains of course !

Good luck with the mess !

dunx

P.S. Andy, metal does bend back..... it's called a hammer ! LOL
We're not talking about an old skool Hilmann Imp you daft sod
Old 18 July 2009, 10:57 AM
burbling1
Scooby Regular

Quick update went to a major accident repair centre today needs a new bumper and boot panel, guy says it will cost about £1200 but is sending me a final quote in the post.
Old 18 July 2009, 11:42 AM
Big Pete
Scooby Regular

We're going thro this at the moment (see thread Someone's Hit It Was Sccoby Doo).

The lass who hit the car has asked for the repair cost not to go through her insurance. The lads at the garage who are doing the repair/spraying have got her contact details and will sort out getting paid from her themselves

I believe in helping people when I can. So keeping the claim off the lasses insurance seemed the way to go.
Old 18 July 2009, 11:56 AM
burbling1
Scooby Regular

Spoke to the 3rd party and he stated I was "having his eyes out" with the quote. So bollocks to it Ive rang the insurance company and they can sort it out. I was going to do him a favour but wasnt going to skimp on the repair, at the end of the day it was his fault and my kids have to travel in the car so I aint takin no crap off him.
Old 18 July 2009, 12:22 PM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

Spoke to the 3rd party and he stated I was "having his eyes out" with the quote. So bollocks to it Ive rang the insurance company and they can sort it out. I was going to do him a favour but wasnt going to skimp on the repair, at the end of the day it was his fault and my kids have to travel in the car so I aint takin no crap off him.

Good call, He had his chance, which to be fair is more than I would have given him.
Let the insurance take care of it now and hopefully he wont drive like a tube in future.
Old 18 July 2009, 05:59 PM
my06 ppp silver
Scooby Regular

cheeky ******!!! from experience bud the damage sometimes dont look that bad but it is what you CANT see that costs the money. also bud get the mrs and kids checked out at the docs/hospital, just as a matter of course. WHIPLASH can come on fully 24 hrs after an accident even if you felt ok at the time, also it has a no. of symptoms, not JUST a sore neck and shoulders, headaches, sore limbs and the like are all ASSOCIATED with the effects of whiplash. i would never recommend that you intentionally try and fool a medical professional, however a lot of people suffer with headaches and shaking etc. after an accident and attempt to SELF MEDICATE rather than take the proper route of professional opinion. ps. whiplash is paid out fairly quickly and on average is £1200 per person STANDARD, more in certain cases. enjoy your HOLIDAY you deserve it
Old 18 July 2009, 07:16 PM
scoobzie
Scooby Regular

http://www.askmid.com/ownvehicle/ put the registration number of the other car in the box and it will tell you if the car is insured hope this helps

Last edited by scoobzie; 18 July 2009 at 07:19 PM.
Old 18 July 2009, 08:20 PM
hannogo
Scooby Regular

If you've got people with necks hurting after a few days,you need to take legal advice.No way should you accept the guy paying for repairs,you get hit up the rear,there is only one party at fault.Go for the insurance claim,even if the guy is not insured,the Motor Insurance Bureau will help you out.Thats why we all pay a premium.
Good luck.
Old 19 July 2009, 04:11 AM
lloydee
Scooby Regular

Definetly claim! Too much hassle the other route, especially with the amount of damage caused.

You should give Helphire Helphire Group plc - Helphire Group plc a try.
They help deal with any non-fault accidents.
Basically they will help repair your car, give you a hire car for the duration and help with any "ahem" personal injuries and ALL costs will be reclaimed off the third-party so you don't have to do anything, also don't have to get your own insurance company involved.
Old 19 July 2009, 10:01 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lloydee
Definetly claim! Too much hassle the other route, especially with the amount of damage caused.

You should give Helphire Helphire Group plc - Helphire Group plc a try.
They help deal with any non-fault accidents.
Basically they will help repair your car, give you a hire car for the duration and help with any "ahem" personal injuries and ALL costs will be reclaimed off the third-party so you don't have to do anything, also don't have to get your own insurance company involved.
Defo recommend Helphire. When some **** plowed into my old Scoob, I wanted my car fixing by my preferred garage, not the insurers. This mean't the insurers themselves wouldn't give me a courtesy car, but I got in touch with Helphire and they were bloody excellent to be fair. Got me across to a company called Angel Assistance who sorted me a spanking new £27k all mod con Passat while the Scoob was away, and helphire sorted all the grief about the accident itself. Damage was about £220 I think to the Scoob.

Dunno how as I didn't claim personaly injury, but an offer of £1,000 dropped through my letter box soon after the accident, so for the sake of hassle and something I didn't expect, I accepted gracfully. Paid for some extra paintwork on the Scoob I wanted doing anyways and a couple mods/refurbed wheels etc.

And that was without going and crying about sore shoulders etc God knows what would have happened if I'd played on a fake injury like a lot do...
Old 19 July 2009, 10:26 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Someone ran into the back of my beaten up old 205 when stationary. Actually a damn great 4 x 4 tow truck which had also been stationary but hit in the rear by an uninsured woman who wasn't paying attention.

To have repaired the 205 with new parts would have cost much more than the car was worth but I knew my mate who runs a garage had a couple of old 205s, same colour, which he used for spares. So I agreed that we could do the job for £200 which he did just swapping a few things over.

The guy with the 4 x 4 appreciated the gesture and came round with the cash.

I had previously spoken to my insurance company but it was such as hassle with 3 cars involved.

Anyway all sorted.

I think it's a shame that so many just see OP's accident as an opportunity to lie and suggest spurious claims about non-existent whiplash injuries. But I suppose that's society today

dl
Old 19 July 2009, 10:57 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock

I think it's a shame that so many just see OP's accident as an opportunity to lie and suggest spurious claims about non-existent whiplash injuries. But I suppose that's society today

dl
Agree totally.
Old 19 July 2009, 11:34 AM
GTW
Scooby Regular

Its a non fault claim so shouldnt really effect your insurance to be honest get it done matey
Old 19 July 2009, 12:47 PM
my06 ppp silver
Scooby Regular

just to clarify, a personal injury claim should be handled by an insurance company on the professional opinion of a doctor. personal opinions and doing the person at fault a "favour" is not for the innocent person to decide, although morally, granted, they may feel obliged to handle the situation as they would like someone to do to them if the boot was on the other foot. as stated though, unfortunately this is not the society we live in and from experience, (my mother), if you dont make a claim and decide to get the work done independently, any future problems you may happen to have will be be disregarded and therefore at cost to you. not to mention if you were unfortunate enough (mother again) to rear end someone else a couple of months down the line that they would be as understanding!!! my advice is let the employed professionals make the decisions ultimately on your behalf, thats why we pay insurance after all!!
Old 19 July 2009, 12:51 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by my06 ppp silver
just to clarify, a personal injury claim should be handled by an insurance company on the professional opinion of a doctor. personal opinions and doing the person at fault a "favour" is not for the innocent person to decide, although morally, granted, they may feel obliged to handle the situation as they would like someone to do to them if the boot was on the other foot. as stated though, unfortunately this is not the society we live in and from experience, (my mother), if you dont make a claim and decide to get the work done independently, any future problems you may happen to have will be be disregarded and therefore at cost to you. not to mention if you were unfortunate enough (mother again) to rear end someone else a couple of months down the line that they would be as understanding!!! my advice is let the employed professionals make the decisions ultimately on your behalf, thats why we pay insurance after all!!
Aye, and any insurance company actually worth being with won't touch your NCB for a non-fault claim.
Old 19 July 2009, 12:52 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Best one (or is it worst one) that I had is that i was recovering from whiplash (doing physio and nearly all finished, had 1 session left) and was in a hire car and someone went into the back of me on the motorway in stationary traffic (they were not looking at the traffic, just their radio), back to square one and yes it did flare my whiplash up again

Tony
Old 19 July 2009, 03:47 PM
burbling1
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all your replies its up to the insurance companies now.
As for the whiplash claims this sounds very appealing but would feel a right ******* claiming for something that doesnt exist.
Old 19 July 2009, 03:57 PM
Ved
Scooby Regular

And since you've just said it doesnt exist it shows you're clearly not a ********. Good luck with it all mate.

Quick Reply: To claim or not to claim?