Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Honda S2000

Search this Thread

Old 14 February 2001, 02:01 PM
Silver Surfer
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone driven or run an S2000. Thoughts/viewpoints appreciated more from an everyday perspective.
Old 14 February 2001, 02:07 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

I remember seeing Driven (i think) they tested it against A Boxter (not an S) and a BM Z3 2.8

On the track it wiped the floor with the BM and beat the boxter by a decent margin. better performance, handling and brakes.

Great lookin' cars, well built.
The Engine revs to 9K i believe, Powerband from 5.5 upto the redline

Paul

Old 14 February 2001, 02:15 PM
Stupot
Scooby Regular

Cool

I drove my mates the day after a party and he had indulged miles too much and couldnt safely take the wheel. My thoughts were, nice layout, lovely design, well put together. Nice interior. Road holding very good in the town, brakes felt strong. But when we got it out on the open road... oh dear oh dear. The back end twitched after every gear change at high revs, the whole car seems to get progressivly lighter the faster u go (lack of wing I guess) to the point i thought we were going to take off and You have to keep it up around 8000-9000 revs to get the full potential of the engine.
these are my thoughts, best go drive one yourself and compare. The scoob felt so much more nailed and secure like it sucks itself down onto the road.
Cheers
Stu
Old 14 February 2001, 02:18 PM
Silver Surfer
Scooby Regular

I can get one as a company car and it seems quite good value (tax etc) and I will still have some car allowance left. The company will pay for fuel. Thoughts are to replace my impreza and then get a track car (type RA?). This will also keep the other half happy.
Old 14 February 2001, 02:35 PM
jon hill
Scooby Regular

I've a friend with one - excellent every day car, practical (especially for a rag top), reliable, etc, etc. But its not a "drivers" car - step from my integra into the s2000 for a spin round a roundabout and it feels like its got a big hinge down the middle. But then again you don't get deafened by road noise or get back ache after 50 miles.

Depends what you're after i guess. If you're looking for a fast, comfy sportscar in the bmw Z3, merc clk mode then i reckon its the best of the bunch. But its not (imo) an alternative to the more hardcore, track happy, type-r's, scooby's or elise's.

An S2000 & a caterham 7 1.8 supersport; thats what you want.
Old 14 February 2001, 03:25 PM
IntegraR
Scooby Regular

Nice, enquire about the hard top as well though, very usefull accessory when the weather is being such a b*st*rd.
I dont think it fits too well into the CLK, Z3 catagory, it is a lot more driver orientated than that,
Like any V-Tec, you have to drive it, dont expect to be chauffered around by an abundance of torque, but when you want to go, 60 comes up in around 5.5 secs (one driver did 3 consecutive runs averaging 4.9 secs, but thats an exception).
I like, but then the name "Honda boy" is being levelled at me more and more often, cause I am a little biased in Honda's favour.
Still, Ive been called worse
Old 14 February 2001, 03:31 PM
Andy Banks
Scooby Regular

Been driving this little beauty around for the last week or so....

A few thoughts...

Not quite as much grip as the my STi6 but handling feel is much better, especially round the twisties. There is zero body roll and no weight shift, unlike the scoob. It feels like a 'real' sportcar, whereas sometimes the scoob just feels like a bloody fast car, which is not the same thing.

Speedwise, its hard to say, it's not got the torque but it's deceptively fast, especially in the power band. Surprisingly, low down pickup is very good. A bit weak mid range, but good topend (screamin vtec!!!!!).

My previous car before scoob ownership was a Integra TypeR. The typeR suffered from torque steer at peak power and didnt have as much guts as the S2000 - just try driving up a hill in a typeR with the air con on.

Bad points - the rear plastic window scratches easily. Crap radio. Errr...not a lot else :-)

[This message has been edited by Andy Banks (edited 14 February 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Andy Banks (edited 14 February 2001).]
Old 14 February 2001, 03:33 PM
Hunk
Scooby Regular

I'm a tall guy and i found it a bit small for my size, but so is the Porsche. I found the interior all but exciting, i expected much more than standard Honda buttons. I like the better looks of the Boxter.
Old 14 February 2001, 03:42 PM
IntegraR
Scooby Regular

Andy, have you seen the hard top? it is superb, heated rear window, full interior padding, clips on very securely, and looks good too.
Seems like the ultimate solution to the pesky plastic rear window problem everyone has with them.
Of course, it'll no doubt cost a bomb.

Silver Surfer, here's a link to a test between an Audi TT and the S2000, found on an Audi site no less, but it sums it up well.
Old 14 February 2001, 04:08 PM
Andy Banks
Scooby Regular

Yeah the hardtop would be good, not seen one on the roads yet.

Yellow ones are definitely not for the self-conscious!

Damn what are they looking at?

Old 14 February 2001, 05:11 PM
Silver Surfer
Scooby Regular

Well I like this idea more & more. Any more views?
Old 14 February 2001, 05:53 PM
Type R
Scooby Regular

Cool

Everyone who knows mw know i love my Civic Type R . I have only ever been a passenger in one but would have bought one instead of the CTR but the 10K difference in price was a tad too much.

VTECs are not great low down, if you dont like nailing the pants off a car, this would be a wrong choice. My friend who owns one loves the handling, and yes it is sometimes easy to get a bit over enthusiastic with oversteer, but that is what this car is about - FUN, and lots of it. The driving position is spot on, you are sat low down with a great position for the gear lever, amazin std brakes, lovely engine noise, reliability etc, etc.

Buy one, get the imported Type S (i think it a Type S) from Japan, it has this F1 style steering where full lock either side is just a third of a turn, and adjusts depending what speed you are doing.

Matt
Old 14 February 2001, 06:57 PM
47 NAT
Scooby Regular

Just a word of advice, they are nice cars too drive but check that its had all the safety re-calls done. These were mostly done at the docks by Japanese technicians who were flown over especially to sort out various problems with them (8 problems in total if i remember correctly). The cars were also late in delivery because of this reason, but a new model will be released either later this year or early next. Up until last month I was GSM for Honda, so hence the knowledge on these!! As I've already stated the are nice to drive, very quick and handle good too.

Good luck in your decision.....

Nath
Old 14 February 2001, 07:31 PM
Maddy
Scooby Regular

I took a S2000 out for a test drive and was thinking of upgrading from my Integra Type -R but was disapointed to be honest, The ride and fun factor just did'nt seem to be there. However the Interia was very nice and the car looks smart, especially liked the Red start button but after a hour or so I relised this was just another hair dressors car.
If you drive a MGF then maybe the S2000 is a good upgrade option.

anyway I decided the s2000 was'nt the right beastie for me so I bought a scooby turbo instead.
Old 14 February 2001, 10:45 PM
Alas
Scooby Regular

Wink

Friend of mine is a Honda dealer. Was asking him about it one day. Say's its as good as the integra but with 1 drawback.
Pray you don't ever get a puncture cos if you have to put the spacesaver on there is no room in the back for the tyre you've taken off so either throw it away or put it on the lovely leather passenger seat(if you don't have a passenger that is.
Alas..
Old 14 February 2001, 11:38 PM
adam99rs
Scooby Regular

I'm in the US and have a modded S2k...great car. I couldn't see using it everyday, due to the weather here in NY but for a fair weather car, it is top notch. Others I considered were the M roadster and Boxster S...both nice, both quick, but the Honda was a bit more unique feeling. It behaved more like a motorcycle, and less like a car (I ended up cancelling the order on my Ducati 996 when I got the Honda). If you care to see it, goto my website:
Old 15 February 2001, 06:12 AM
Mark Pattison
Scooby Regular

Oy Andy! thats my car Standard hifi is being ripped out as we speak.

Maddy when you say "but after a hour or so I relised this was just another hair dressors car." you obviously either didn't drive it on the right kind of roads or can't drive (I wont speculate )

Seriously I'm more than impressed with it, after owning a STi4 for over 2 years and doing all sorts of mods I really don't miss it much. I do get to use Andy's sti6typer which is parked next to me, and likewise he gets to floor the ***** off mine.

Driving the two cars up 'route twisk' (bloody great big hill) and back down again its obvious that the scoob has monster power but lacks the instant control the S2000 has. Its only till you try other cars that you realise you can't have everything. Oh and I was flooring the nuts of a mates ferrari 355 f1 over the weekend - that noise is criminal! Even the ferrari rolled more than the honda and thats was in sport mode

[This message has been edited by Mark Pattison (edited 15 February 2001).]
Old 15 February 2001, 07:33 AM
Mark Pattison
Scooby Regular

IntegraR, nice name

The hard top is on my wish list, but at over 2000 squids I think I can live without it. Was pleasantly surprised by the soft top, not too noisy especially once in 6th gear. The S2000 comes into its own though with the roof down and you start piling on the revs.

Also it takes skill to drive, and I'm still learning...don't be put off though because its even more Jackal and Hyde than your IntegraR - low revs really feel nice and torquey and pulls up hills better than you would expect. If its too slow, change down a gear or
Old 15 February 2001, 08:03 AM
Silver Surfer
Scooby Regular

Guys & Gals, nice debate/input thank you. I can opt back into the car scheme on June 1 but order the car ready for delivery then. As it is a company car the hartop is out as I have to pay for options which I imagine will be metallic paint and the CD player as I believe A/C and leather is standard. colour will be grey metallic with black leather.

Some last question - do they leak? do they creak interior wise? The car will be doing 20k miles a year but I assume they are honda reliable
Old 15 February 2001, 08:19 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Talking

Jules

If you buy the S2000, where are you going to stick your stereo gear? I'm pretty sure the boot wouldn't be big enough and the electrical cabling in your current car would shame the national grid

Chris
Old 15 February 2001, 09:24 AM
Mark Pattison
Scooby Regular

Mines not leaked yet, even blasted it with a high pressure hose to make sure I think you need to spray the soft top now and again to keep the waterproofing.

No rattles yet, the rear plastic window does flap now and again (dead easy to sort I should think). Make sure you go for a nice long test drive with the hood on and off. Theres a HUGE blind spot with the hood down which you have to be careful of.

Not a car for everyone, suspension is pretty hard.

For the hifi, I'm replacing the headunit and speakers (no rears) for now.
Old 15 February 2001, 09:30 AM
Silver Surfer
Scooby Regular

Chris

The stereo will be for sale M8. Interested? Just think your car could shame the national grid too! Hope you are OK? Sounds like I better check out this Blindspot as car will be used for commuting. HArd suspension I am used too.
Old 15 February 2001, 09:38 AM
James Douglas
Scooby Regular

Great looking car - blah blah blah, but i couldnt turn right and brake at the same time! Way way way too small for me - could hardly get my fat *** in the seat!!! Steering wheel rubs my knee even at its highest setting. Nice if your not 6ft2 and 17 stone!

But then i dont fit in any 2 seater sports cars!

James
Old 15 February 2001, 10:32 AM
Silver Surfer
Scooby Regular

I will fit in one I hope, to those who know me, I am a bit vertically challenged to a degree and may a bit cuddly but I rhought that all impreza owners were a bit cuddly!