Sponsored by:

have i just bought a lemon?

Search this Thread

Old 30 June 2009, 09:57 PM
wrx1stone
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default have i just bought a lemon?

last saturday i got my 1st scooby,and love it,its a wrx 2005 in blue.its looks great drives great and the engine is sweet,i had it cheap because service history is missing,but i did get in touch with the previous owner,i was shocked,he said the bottem end had gone and he sold it to scooby techniks,so i rang scooby techniks today and a guy named andy said he remembers the car and said he had put an sti shortblock version 7 into the car,how can i tell if thats true? or not? there must be something on the engine that will confirm this but sadly i don't know what to look for,i have found EJ20 on the block near the alternator but still unsure,,
Old 30 June 2009, 10:03 PM
HAWKEYE BEAST
BANNED

ej20 just stands for 2.0 engine as ej25 stands for 2.5 engine ........ the only difference with a sti lump is that its semi closed deck and has semi forged pistons to handle more bhp and slightly thicker rods but apart from that you would have to take a cylider head off to check piston type to which i dont think you really wanna do to your new pride and joy LOL .regards lee
Old 30 June 2009, 10:05 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

To be fair, theres no real reason why the guy at scooby tecknic is going to lie to over what engine was put in it and if its was an STI engine you imagine that its probably going to cope with the TD04 as in not going to blow up any time soon but you never know.
Old 30 June 2009, 10:09 PM
wrx1stone
Scooby Regular

,what if i use the snap on camera probe,and stick down the spark plug hole and i should see the piston,but what does the sti piston look like? is it distinctive?
Old 30 June 2009, 10:13 PM
powerwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

tbh i wouldnt bother looking, if its running sweet then what difference does it make if its the sti block or not
Old 30 June 2009, 10:26 PM
wrx1stone
Scooby Regular

well to be honest,the guys at teknics are so busy they don't have time to find the paper work to send copies to me.the timing belt is new,fuel filter and spark plugs also,andy said they always fit new belts and pulleys fuel filter air filter and spark plugs and new engine oil with rebuilt engines,but i can't show this on paper to anyone.its gutting really when all this work was done to it.as i don't have service history i thought when the time comes to sell the car on,then i could show some kind of history for the car.and on the other hand it would give me confidence if i knew there was an sti block in my engine as i do drive a bit spirited,and i do intend keeping the car.what does shortblock mean?
Old 30 June 2009, 10:30 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Everything below the heads....

Engine number will be on there somewhere, maybe traceable.

HTH

dunx
Old 30 June 2009, 10:38 PM
jayallen
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wrx1stone
i had it cheap because service history is missing
......and now your worried because it has an STI bottom end and it has no history to show a perspective buyer if you decide to sell it again...yet you bought it with no history...
Old 30 June 2009, 10:39 PM
wrx1stone
Scooby Regular

its a great car its sound,but i would just like to know exactly whats under the hood.not stressing just need to be sure what i got.i found some numbers off the block first one was dead centre on top at the rear 988996989957 second one was on passenger side of the block on top about 2 inches from the rear engraved in big numbers 7628 and the third is on the side on top of the block at the rear edge 219033.

Last edited by wrx1stone; 30 June 2009 at 10:44 PM.
Old 30 June 2009, 10:46 PM
-ant-
Scooby Regular

there is a site you can decode what an engine is and so on from the numbers not sure what it is but sure someone on here will remember it do a search may pop up.
Old 30 June 2009, 11:06 PM
p1u
Scooby Newbie

had the engine change been done on the log book. that engine has prob done a million miles lol. how many miles did he say it had when he sold it to you the miles that was on the clock or the new engine miles.
p1u
Old 30 June 2009, 11:15 PM
wrx1stone
Scooby Regular

unfortunately andy did not have time to stay on the phone,to go into further detail,but this webside of decoding numbers sounds interesting,anyway tommorrow i will ring again and hopefully get a fax from scooby tekniks,with details.i will post how it goes,wish me luck.
Old 30 June 2009, 11:32 PM
-ant-
Scooby Regular

Which Car is a WRX STi

thats the one but only had up to version 6 engine codes so not much help.
Old 30 June 2009, 11:38 PM
wrx1stone
Scooby Regular

oh great cheers mate,i will give it a go,see what happens eh.you never know.
Old 30 June 2009, 11:48 PM
wrx1stone
Scooby Regular

that sites good for only stating what should be in the car from the factory ,,though i been surfing for pics of version 7 sti pistons ,and what wrx pistons look like,so now i will use my local garages camera to have a look anyways.its free so what the heck.i would like to see the sti block in there as it is forged,and not cast.fingers are crossed.
Old 01 July 2009, 08:00 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

last saturday i got my 1st scooby,and love it,its a wrx 2005 in blue.its looks great drives great and the engine is sweet,i had it cheap because service history is missing,but i did get in touch with the previous owner,i was shocked,he said the bottem end had gone and he sold it to scooby techniks,so i rang scooby techniks today and a guy named andy said he remembers the car and said he had put an sti shortblock version 7 into the car,how can i tell if thats true? or not? there must be something on the engine that will confirm this but sadly i don't know what to look for,i have found EJ20 on the block near the alternator but still unsure,,

I would trust Andy mate ! Hes a descent fella. No reason to put his name and his companies name to a car he doesn't know !
Old 01 July 2009, 10:50 AM
scoobzie
Scooby Regular

if you are worried about service history just give the next owner the phone number to teknik and say andy can verify this as he done the work and always get a look at the v5 for the last owner and contact them before money changes hands thats what i do

Last edited by scoobzie; 01 July 2009 at 10:52 AM.
Old 01 July 2009, 10:57 AM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by HAWKEYE BEAST
ej20 just stands for 2.0 engine as ej25 stands for 2.5 engine ........ the only difference with a sti lump is that its semi closed deck and has semi forged pistons to handle more bhp and slightly thicker rods but apart from that you would have to take a cylider head off to check piston type to which i dont think you really wanna do to your new pride and joy LOL .regards lee

Newage WRX also have semi closed deck!
Old 01 July 2009, 05:54 PM
dantastic
Scooby Regular

If its a UK car then it would most likely have been serviced at a subaru main agents for at least the first 3 years to keep its warranty intact, so contact your local dealership they should be able to trace its service history & get you a print out or duplicate of it.
Old 01 July 2009, 06:54 PM
wrx1stone
Scooby Regular

Smile

got some good news today,i have spoken to the first owner and then spoke to the garage he had the car serviced at,so it does have some history,1000 mile,10000 mile and 20000 mile service,and although service book is lost the garage will fax me the invoices! result..and on top of this i spoke to andy today at scooby teknikx and he kindly said he will fax me the paperwork,another result.
Old 02 July 2009, 08:17 PM
wrx1stone
Scooby Regular

just an update,today i recieved service history up to 20k by fax from wolverhampton,which is great,i bought the car with 33k,so i am just waiting for the final piece of the jigsaw puzzle,fingers crossed scooby teknikx will fax the remaining part,and the lemon i thought i might have had, is not after all.
Old 03 July 2009, 10:30 AM
EJ22 LAD
Scooby Regular

andy from scooby teknix is a nice guy and wouldnt stitch you m8, ive bought stuff from him b4 and been ok so probs engine is as he says!
cheers
Old 03 July 2009, 07:14 PM
wrx1stone
Scooby Regular

oh i don't doubt andy at all,what he says he done to the engine is true,only thing is when i sell the car on,i got no paper work to show the buyer that the work was done,the timing belt ,plugs etc are due soon according to the sevice schedule,fortunatley all that stuff has been renewed during engine rebuild,how can i build the buyers confidence that theres nothing to worry about with nothing to show for it?
Old 04 July 2009, 01:43 PM
147scoob
Scooby Regular

My only thought would be is how did the last div blow the engine with such relatively low mileage??? You'd think something like that would be a warranty issue unless someone had been tinkering where they shouldn't have.........
Old 04 July 2009, 01:58 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

i got no paper work to show the buyer that the work was done,the timing belt ,plugs etc are due soon according to the sevice schedule,fortunatley all that stuff has been renewed during engine rebuild,how can i build the buyers confidence that theres nothing to worry about with nothing to show for it?
Why did you buy it for in the first place with no papers or history, it's only by luck that you've managed to get anything.
Old 04 July 2009, 08:03 PM
wrx1stone
Scooby Regular

well the engine blew after the warranty expired,and i did ask a few subaru technicians why would it blow,they all said probably because the oil was too low,as these engine do drink oil,and if not checked regulary this failure would more than likely occur.anyway i bought this car because it was cheap,it looks in great condition,low milage,and most important to me,the mechanical side of the car is in tip top condition.i am a mechanic and i believe the car is sound.so i figured if the car had not been serviced the car would have some dire problems.so i bought it,taking the chance of tracing the service history,lucky though, on the log book the 2 previous owners details were there, got their tel numbers off the net and the rest is history.i am well happy with the car,i did start this thread worrying a bit,but now things have changed.so at this moment in time i got full service history.
Old 05 July 2009, 01:14 AM
147scoob
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

well the engine blew after the warranty expired,and i did ask a few subaru technicians why would it blow,they all said probably because the oil was too low,as these engine do drink oil,and if not checked regulary this failure would more than likely occur.anyway i bought this car because it was cheap,it looks in great condition,low milage,and most important to me,the mechanical side of the car is in tip top condition.i am a mechanic and i believe the car is sound.so i figured if the car had not been serviced the car would have some dire problems.so i bought it,taking the chance of tracing the service history,lucky though, on the log book the 2 previous owners details were there, got their tel numbers off the net and the rest is history.i am well happy with the car,i did start this thread worrying a bit,but now things have changed.so at this moment in time i got full service history.
Good to know your happy with it now mate, you thought about applying for a job with csi miami after all your detective work lol.
O and as for the numpty with no oil in the engine, its like a bar b q without the charcoal, it just won't work!!!!
Tit
Old 05 July 2009, 10:05 AM
merlin24
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it has a Semi Closed Deck block fitted, you should be able to see the casting number " S20C " in several places on the block including around where the engine mounts are bolted to the block.

Mick
Old 05 July 2009, 11:22 AM
wrx1stone
Scooby Regular

i have never work on a boxer engine before,i don't no a lot about them,can you explain what is a semi closed deck? btw thanks for the code,will have look to see it in the week when i get the chance.
Old 05 July 2009, 12:38 PM
TimH
Orange Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i have never work on a boxer engine before,i don't no a lot about them,can you explain what is a semi closed deck? btw thanks for the code,will have look to see it in the week when i get the chance.
Do a search on here or Google it - plenty of threads with pictures on the differences between closed, semi-closed and open deck

Quick Reply: have i just bought a lemon?