Viewed the 22B

Search this Thread

Old 27 June 2009, 05:25 PM
22BIreland
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Viewed the 22B

Hey Lads,

Well like the title says travelled to Dublin to view the 22B.Awesome Car is all i can say.No 59/400The pictures that i had seen didnt do it justice.Body was fine just 1 tiny dent on the passengers door which they will fix,along with full service,polishing,valet etc.Interior is fine but just needs a bit of tlc to bring it up to new.As you can see from the pic it is missing the Subaru badge on the front grill but that will be fixed.It also has a roof vent which i thought i wouldnt like either but when i saw it myself i actually liked it.It is only stuck on so it can always be removed if needs be.
I think the wheels are a Speedline replica and do look well,origional wheels will also be supplied.
The exhaust wouldnt be to my liking.Think its ceramic?Doesnt have the Scooby burble.
Also its a 6 speed conversion,gear changing is perfect,but would anyone have any idea why it would be changed?,would it be the norm to do this?

So with the bodywork ok,i took it for a test drive.On Thursday night i took another owners 22B for a spin and was blowing away by it.Very torquey,especially in fifth gear when you just floor it.
In comparison today when i drove the other one it just feel as responsive,not much but you could still sense a small difference.
The car has been parked up for maybe the last 18months with maybe only 150kms put up on it in that time so the owner assured that this would be the reason for the small difference.Should be fine once it has a good drive.
Just one other thing,when we first drove the car,the 'Check Engine' light came on for about 2-3 seconds and then went off and didnt come on any more.Would anybody know the reason for that?
Anyway would really appreciate any help you could give me with the questions as i am seriously thinking of buying it..
Hope the picture uploads..
Cheers,
Thanks,Dave...
[/IMG]
Old 27 June 2009, 05:32 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

If you have doubts, just walk away fella. Why do people mod the 22B

TX.
Old 27 June 2009, 05:39 PM
m@t STImulation
Scooby Regular

i agree with the above
Old 27 June 2009, 05:40 PM
maps
Scooby Regular

what the hell is that on the roof lol

mark
Old 27 June 2009, 05:43 PM
+Doc+
Scooby Senior

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

From what you have said and from looking at it I would walk away.
If they can do that to a 22b I shudder to think how they treated it.
Old 27 June 2009, 06:01 PM
V5RLTD
Scooby Regular

I wouldnt be parting with my hard earned for that particular one mate, much better out there, just need to be patient.
Old 27 June 2009, 06:23 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

You will need to check, but the 22B gearbox is probably the same as that in a Type-R of a similar age, so needs lots of revs on the motorway, whereas a six speed has a longer top gear ratio. They are also pretty tough.

HTH

dunx
Old 27 June 2009, 06:32 PM
22BIreland
Scooby Newbie

Cheers for the feedback lads,although i was hoping it would be more positive!!
I know the mods that are on it aren't to everyone's liking but besides the roof vent i dont think the rest of them are too bad.
I can see what you are saying that if someone would choose to mod it that way,what way have they treated it in Japan.Suppose thats the chance you are taking with the imports.
What to do?What to do?!
Old 27 June 2009, 07:33 PM
JRFRACE
Scooby Regular

I'd pass on this one, personally i doubt i'd travel so far to look at a modded 22B, but from what you say, the CEL could be something innocent or could prove to be very expensive, the gbox...

Keep looking, don't get caught by the its tough especially when you see them but i'd strongly suggest you pass on it
Old 27 June 2009, 07:57 PM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

Gearbox change suggests to me that the original was broken so the car may of had a hard life, it's the small things to me such as badges and such as if I had the chance to own one it wouldn't be missing anything. It's also been sat for 18months so you may find after a few weeks of running it bits and bobs ie pipe, hoses may start to split as things loosen up any knocks and bangs may come to light.

Iwould ecco the above and not be blinded buy the lights of a new car and walk away and look for another example, think there were a couple on pistonheads so keep looking mate
Old 27 June 2009, 08:00 PM
LUCKO
Scooby Regular

Ghastly Example
Old 27 June 2009, 08:16 PM
belliott69
Scooby Regular

not a nice 22b at all. sorry to say mate but its hardly worth any more than a type r, just don't know what goes on with people when they have a car like that.
Old 27 June 2009, 10:37 PM
daddyscoob
Scooby Regular

don't listen to what people here are saying. Don't walk away from this car.......... run like f**k !!!!!!!!
Old 27 June 2009, 10:53 PM
RED2
Scooby Regular

^ how could they have stuck a fake roof vent on it walk away fella and keep looking for a good example
Old 27 June 2009, 10:58 PM
DJ_Jon
911 C4 pilot

Don't buy this car, there are much better examples out there.
Old 27 June 2009, 11:26 PM
BIG FUD
Scooby Regular

Looks terrible wheels, roof ven,t mesh in grill, no badge, thats just from what i can see ...
Old 28 June 2009, 10:02 AM
Crosstalk
Scooby Regular

Aren't those two bonnet vents bigger than usual too, like they've been replaced for WRC sized items? Looks like previous owner has done all they could to make it look like a WRC, with the vents, mirrors, wheels etc.

I like the way it looks, but like others would be worried how it's been treated and doing too much to a rare car like this has to detract from its value.
Old 28 June 2009, 10:22 AM
22BIreland
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Crosstalk
Aren't those two bonnet vents bigger than usual too, like they've been replaced for WRC sized items? Looks like previous owner has done all they could to make it look like a WRC, with the vents, mirrors, wheels etc.

I like the way it looks, but like others would be worried how it's been treated and doing too much to a rare car like this has to detract from its value.
Cheers Crosstalk,
Ya,looks like that alright,if you remove the vent and mirrors it would make a big difference.Have been looking at other 22B's in Japan and some of them seem to have the bigger bonnet vents aswell for some reason.
Can see why people would be worried about the way its modded.

Ya im all for the standard 22B aswell.cant beat it
Old 28 June 2009, 10:26 AM
m@t STImulation
Scooby Regular

yup defo standard and no ENGINE LIGHT lot of money for a car that is not right
Old 28 June 2009, 10:37 AM
dunx
Scooby Senior

How much is going for ?

dunx
Old 28 June 2009, 10:44 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

looks all right bar the roof scoop IMO
Old 28 June 2009, 11:09 AM
22BIreland
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by m@t STImulation
yup defo standard and no ENGINE LIGHT lot of money for a car that is not right
Ya the engine light is a bit of a worry.Like i said though it only flashed on for maybe 2-3secs at the start.Drove the car for another 20mins and didnt appear after that.
Just doing the research there,so the best thing to do is a manual test with the 2 Black Connectors?
Looking at a lot of previous posts 80% of the time it seems to be the MAF or Knock sensor.
Engine sounded perfect while driving and on idle after the test drive,no rattles or knocking.The only time it was idleing low was when the car was first started.
Just curious,but what kind of money would you be talking if the worst did happen and the engine had to be rebuilt??Shock me!!
Old 28 June 2009, 11:32 AM
V5RLTD
Scooby Regular

Depends to what spec, but at least £2500+ for a good job by someone reputable.
Old 28 June 2009, 12:01 PM
22BIreland
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by V5RVLTD
Depends to what spec, but at least £2500+ for a good job by someone reputable.
Cheers Lads,
Thanks for all the help and responses..
Old 28 June 2009, 12:46 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

not sure if its relevant coz my car was a plain old UK MY00 Turbo, but my CEL light used to occasionally flash for one to two secs

99% of the time with the first 5 mins of driving, car ran sweetly in all other respects and did 25k with no probs (from 96K to 125K) before I sold it
Old 28 June 2009, 01:15 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Wink

If it's cheap I'd buy it for a track car

but like most, it's has been spoilt by the mods. How much is left of the 22B, the body, there is not much left to call it a 22B IMHO

Sheds loads cheaper buy a MY00 V6 Type R modded with a 22B wide body kit

Originally Posted by 22BIreland
The exhaust wouldnt be to my liking.Think its ceramic?Doesnt have the Scooby burble.

Just one other thing,when we first drove the car,the 'Check Engine' light came on for about 2-3 seconds and then went off and didnt come on any more
Possible check light is tied into exhaust mods and possible CAT removal. A little "black box" with a resistor or resister fitted across terminal om ECU which mimics/fools ECU that O2 sensor is working OK. (the exhaust sensor fitted just after CATs has removed or by-passed)

Get a PSI unit or any dianostic OB11 lead and software to plug in port to see what fault is.

Please buy with your brains and not your heart

IIRC IMHO

Tony

Last edited by T5NYW; 28 June 2009 at 01:29 PM.
Old 28 June 2009, 01:17 PM
domino555
Scooby Regular

Those bonnet vents are nasty...

But you can always change those things back.
Old 28 June 2009, 02:01 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Much as I love modded Scoobs the 22B is the one I would want as standard. Aside from all the issues surrounding the mods I am certain that in years to come a standard well maintained immaculate 22B will be worth its weight in gold whereas a modded example will not.

For that reason I would say No and look out for a standard example in good fettle.
Old 28 June 2009, 03:29 PM
22BIreland
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by T5NYW
If it's cheap I'd buy it for a track car

but like most, it's has been spoilt by the mods. How much is left of the 22B, the body, there is not much left to call it a 22B IMHO

Sheds loads cheaper buy a MY00 V6 Type R modded with a 22B wide body kit

Possible check light is tied into exhaust mods and possible CAT removal. A little "black box" with a resistor or resister fitted across terminal om ECU which mimics/fools ECU that O2 sensor is working OK. (the exhaust sensor fitted just after CATs has removed or by-passed)

Get a PSI unit or any dianostic OB11 lead and software to plug in port to see what fault is.

Please buy with your brains and not your heart

IIRC IMHO

Tony
Cheers Tony,
Was telling myself the same thing when i was going to look at it,then i saw it and the heart took over!!
Dont know if i mentioned it but the car is been sold with all the standard parts(alloys,mirrors,etc),so if i did purchase it they would all be going back on.
Have my heart set on a 22B so i dont think i would get a TypeR(as nice as they are).

Suppose its just the privelege of owning such a rare and one of only 426 ever made that swings it.
No matter what you do to it,it will still be a 22B and will still be a unique car..

Dave..
Old 28 June 2009, 05:28 PM
MikeCardiff
Scooby Regular

Personally if I was looking for a 22b, with the prices they are up at, I would want everything original on it, with no mods, stuck on plastic, swapped over bits, and no warning lights coming on !

The value of the car is only in it being original - its probably the most collectable Impreza, and the only reason the price is justified is that an original low mileage one will start to appreciate in value in time - its more the sort of car you would buy as an investment than one to use as an everyday driver.

I wouldn't touch the one you have seen unless it was very cheap, in which case the non-originality wouldn't matter as much as its never going to be a mega sought after mint original, so you can just use it and not worry about the cost.

I also wouldn't hand over ANY money before knowing exactly why the CEL is coming on - could be next to nothing, or could be some big bills on the horizon.

Quick Reply: Viewed the 22B