Sponsored by:

Looking at getting this

Search this Thread

Old 24 June 2009, 09:22 PM
teamheath2
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at getting this

As above, looking at getting the car pictured, anything to look out for on the new newer models, anything it should of had and when, and were there any recalls ?

Cheers

.:: Churchs Performance Cars ::.
Old 24 June 2009, 09:31 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Say's now sold
Rear shocks are the only real issue they all suffer from (STI's that is)

Tony
Old 24 June 2009, 09:35 PM
teamheath2
Scooby Regular

Sorry forgot to say, its not sold and it is actually 9K, just rear shocks to worry about you reckon then? Any way of checking them when I view it?

Obviously listen for a knocking on the road but on a visual inspection?
Old 24 June 2009, 10:05 PM
jayb1970
Scooby Regular

Nothing visual mate but rest assured if they are gone you will hear them! GENTLY drop off a curb or something similar to test em. Good luck
Old 24 June 2009, 10:18 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

How many miles has it done? Will they repair the scuff on the fog light cover at that price?
Old 24 June 2009, 10:26 PM
Steve_PPP
Scooby Regular

been watching that site as Churches isn't far from me (my scoob came from there) - price was at 9995 but saw they dropped it the other day to 8995.

they have some nice cars there, but service isn't the greatest. if you don't mind doing some legwork, then they're not too bad, but didn't bend over to be helpful if you know what i mean. to give you an example, there was no tax on the scoob i bought - i asked them to tax it for me (at my cost) but they couldn't be bothered - hence i had to drive it untaxed until my insurance cover note came through in the post

if its not actually sold yet, make sure you push their margins

i went from starting with a £1200 part-ex value, paying asking price for a £9k scoob and them offering to service the car themselves before sale (it had done 48,000 miles and hadn't been serviced since 35k....). I walked away

Got a phone call day after asking what they could do to close the deal - pushed them to £1800 part-ex value, and insisted the car was serviced by a Subaru dealer (knowing full well that its the cambelt service). Hence they had to stump up the bill for just over £600 for everything the car needed and Subaru gave it a clean bill of health

Last edited by Steve_PPP; 24 June 2009 at 10:28 PM.
Old 25 June 2009, 07:19 PM
teamheath2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Steve_PPP
been watching that site as Churches isn't far from me (my scoob came from there) - price was at 9995 but saw they dropped it the other day to 8995.

they have some nice cars there, but service isn't the greatest. if you don't mind doing some legwork, then they're not too bad, but didn't bend over to be helpful if you know what i mean. to give you an example, there was no tax on the scoob i bought - i asked them to tax it for me (at my cost) but they couldn't be bothered - hence i had to drive it untaxed until my insurance cover note came through in the post

if its not actually sold yet, make sure you push their margins

i went from starting with a £1200 part-ex value, paying asking price for a £9k scoob and them offering to service the car themselves before sale (it had done 48,000 miles and hadn't been serviced since 35k....). I walked away

Got a phone call day after asking what they could do to close the deal - pushed them to £1800 part-ex value, and insisted the car was serviced by a Subaru dealer (knowing full well that its the cambelt service). Hence they had to stump up the bill for just over £600 for everything the car needed and Subaru gave it a clean bill of health
Been on the phone to them today and they offered 2.5K for mine, I was hoping for at least 3K and not much budge on the price as it has just dropped 1K! I'm not too keen on the mileage (75K) and it only has service history up to 45K as the owner took it to Italy and had it serviced there and didn't get any stamps.

I told them I wanted it serviced through a main dealer with a cam belt as he couldn't be sure if it had been done. He wasn't impressed that the dealers quoted £900, he mentioned that his mechs could do it for £400. Also has around 1 or 2 months tax, and if i'm not mistaken, that will cost me around £400 for the year?

What year did the engines change from 2.0 to 2.5, I was sure it was before 2005 ?
Old 25 June 2009, 07:26 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The engine changed to the 2.5 with the introduction of the Hawkeye. The Jap's still all use the 2.0 litre unit though.lol

Shaun
Old 25 June 2009, 08:39 PM
Steve_PPP
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by teamheath2
Been on the phone to them today and they offered 2.5K for mine, I was hoping for at least 3K and not much budge on the price as it has just dropped 1K! I'm not too keen on the mileage (75K) and it only has service history up to 45K as the owner took it to Italy and had it serviced there and didn't get any stamps.

I told them I wanted it serviced through a main dealer with a cam belt as he couldn't be sure if it had been done. He wasn't impressed that the dealers quoted £900, he mentioned that his mechs could do it for £400. Also has around 1 or 2 months tax, and if i'm not mistaken, that will cost me around £400 for the year?

What year did the engines change from 2.0 to 2.5, I was sure it was before 2005 ?
YHPM

Last edited by Steve_PPP; 25 June 2009 at 08:41 PM.
Old 26 June 2009, 08:14 PM
teamheath2
Scooby Regular

Turned out he wasn't willing to pay out for a £900 service, so it is a no go.

Absolutely no way I was having it without a clean bill of health from the dealers
Old 26 June 2009, 10:27 PM
Steve_PPP
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by teamheath2
Turned out he wasn't willing to pay out for a £900 service, so it is a no go.

Absolutely no way I was having it without a clean bill of health from the dealers
You made the right choice if theres no service stamps for the last 30k! You might find you get a call in a few days when he's sick of looking at it in the warehouse.... depends if anyone else has been sniffing round or not.

like i said before, mine was a no-go at first but he didn't have any other interest in the car and came crawling back
Old 26 June 2009, 10:50 PM
teamheath2
Scooby Regular

Found another one now anyway, seems much better and the guys are nicer to talk to,

2003 SUBARU IMPREZA WRX STI in BLUE on eBay (end time 28-Jun-09 16:27:19 BST)
Old 27 June 2009, 01:05 PM
teamheath2
Scooby Regular

Can't believe this, turns out this one has no service history as it was taken back by a finance company as they were missing payments!!

The company seem genuine enough about it though, only problem is, I can't trace it anywhere to find its service history as I want to know if it has had the cambelt done.

This is just my luck
Old 27 June 2009, 01:20 PM
Ste RB5138
Scooby Regular

Take your time, there are loads newage STI's on Pistonheads etc.

Best to be patient for the right car to show up
Old 27 June 2009, 01:26 PM
Sosbanite
Scooby Regular

Jog on, service history is critical to avoiding a lemon and big bills.
As above, be patient and take your time, there are quite a few in your price range turning over on Pistonheads the past few weeks. A good un will come your way eventually!
Old 27 June 2009, 01:51 PM
Luckyscoob
Scooby Regular

As already said earlier, take your time to find the right one. Its a buyers market out there and you dont NEED to buy one with a scrappy history.
Old 27 June 2009, 02:00 PM
C_RHYS
Scooby Regular

Good job walking away from the first one, I payed that money for a car with 24k on it and mods not 75k standard.
Took me 5 months to find mine and traveled 300miles each wayto get it but glad I didn't rush things.
Old 27 June 2009, 03:33 PM
ian.b
BANNED

Just be carefull with the flat 4 engines because the crank bearing are prone to go ! unless it has a strong bottom end there will be very big bills !!
Old 27 June 2009, 05:15 PM
teamheath2
Scooby Regular

Cheers fellas, wise words.

My mate keeps telling me the same thing, patience is a virtue eh !
Old 27 June 2009, 06:04 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by ian.b
Just be carefull with the flat 4 engines because the crank bearing are prone to go ! unless it has a strong bottom end there will be very big bills !!
Where did you get idea that from?
Old 29 June 2009, 03:21 PM
teamheath2
Scooby Regular

Looking at a new one now, its 2004 04 WRX STI with 30K on the clock, only thing is though, I thought it should be a Type UK but there is no badge and this page just says WRX STI.

2004/04 Subaru Impreza Saloon 2.0 WRX STi 4d (03) Valuation - Parker's

Was thinking it might be an import, but not sure of any checks to do to find out.

It has FSSH from day one so I'm really not sure?

Thanks for your help by the way
Old 29 June 2009, 04:03 PM
Sosbanite
Scooby Regular

An official UK model will say "Type UK" as part of the Impreza logo on the boot.
A quick way to ID a JDM is it will have a rear wiper but it could have come in via Malta or Greece so to be sure you will to have a look at the V5.
Do you have a link to post up?
Old 29 June 2009, 04:52 PM
teamheath2
Scooby Regular

Auto Trader UK - SUBARU Impreza 2.0 WRX STi

This is the badger, went to see it this morning. Pretty sure it has no rear wiper. But it also does not say Type UK on the back

I'm confused
Old 29 June 2009, 06:28 PM
charlieogden
Scooby Regular

Mine does no say TYPE UK (just TSL333 )on it and reading through the log book it has a Malta address in it, im guessing its for tax/vat reasons came to the UK for it first service and its been here ever since.
Old 29 June 2009, 10:31 PM
teamheath2
Scooby Regular

All the free car check things say its a WRX now !!! Its not though, searching for a new car is doing my nut in !!!!
Old 30 June 2009, 01:01 AM
Sosbanite
Scooby Regular

The dealer description says "rear wiper" so it will be a JDM and a better car than a type uk - twin scroll turbo etc......
Don't be worried about the car checks saying that it's a WRX at this stage, imports not getting registered correctly at the DVLA is quite common apparently.
If you fancy a JDM go and have another look and check for the rear wiper or see if the dealer is imagining things!!

Last edited by Sosbanite; 30 June 2009 at 01:10 AM. Reason: shpellin
Old 30 June 2009, 01:07 AM
Sosbanite
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by charlieogden
Mine does no say TYPE UK (just TSL333 )on it and reading through the log book it has a Malta address in it, im guessing its for tax/vat reasons came to the UK for it first service and its been here ever since.
Yours will be a grey import into the UK from Malta which will have had the TSL333 tuning package fitted sometime after arriving in the UK hence it's not an official import into the UK via IM and a Subaru dealer.
It could be a personal import or more likely originally sold by a supermarket such as Motorpoint or Trade Sales.
Old 30 June 2009, 08:43 PM
teamheath2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sosbanite
The dealer description says "rear wiper" so it will be a JDM and a better car than a type uk - twin scroll turbo etc......
Don't be worried about the car checks saying that it's a WRX at this stage, imports not getting registered correctly at the DVLA is quite common apparently.
If you fancy a JDM go and have another look and check for the rear wiper or see if the dealer is imagining things!!
Did some more chasing today, (there is no rear wiper by the way) I called the last garage it was serviced at to find some info, and the guy reckoned it was a European import. He asked if the Chassis no started with VF1 (I think anyway) I said yes and he said that is what it would be.

I'm getting it anyway, took it out and loved it, not a bad deal IMO

Thinking I should change the veh description with the DVLA when I get it though to STI, any thoughts on this?
Old 30 June 2009, 09:34 PM
Sosbanite
Scooby Regular

Congratulations.
It does not matter that it's a euro import as it's well out of warranty now!
With regard to the service history
1. Has it had it's 30k service? If yes, fine, although you may wish to change the engine oil if you are mega fussy!! If no, 30k is all the fluids and quite expensive. Get it done yourself so you know what's being done but negotiate a discount!
2. As it's now 5 years old it should also have had or is due it's cambelt service - factor this into your budget / price paid.
Both services would set you back about £700!
As for the DVLA, by all means give them a ring but don't forget to tell your insurance co - check for any mods done on this point as well.

And don't forget to post some pics up when you take delivery - we never tire of scooby **** around here
Old 30 June 2009, 09:47 PM
trickers
Scooby Newbie

my v5 says type uk but i have a rear wiper and a fog light in the bumper. its insured as per the log book. 52 plate sti