In search of enlightenment :-)

Search this Thread

Old 24 June 2009, 10:06 AM
Hock
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In search of enlightenment :-)

hey guys, looking for some info and this seems a decent place to start

Bit of background.....I'm building a house and a wedding is on the horizon so need some £££'s.
So we're contemplating downing our cars and getting something around the 4k mark. I dont have a scoobies about scoobies so any info would be appreciated

We need an Auto as the mrs can only drive auto and a wagon so we can take the 2 boxers on walks etc. So this kinda limits us, looking at the market 3-4k can get a 51-52 plate bug eye, but it is the 2.0gx variant (non turbo). Anyone have experience on these regards power and mpg etc and are there any major issues i would need to look out for with this model?

Cheers
Hock
Old 24 June 2009, 10:48 AM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Mr. Blows is selling an immaculate classic WRX auto wagon.....

See the ads on here !

dunx
Old 25 June 2009, 02:25 PM
Hock
Scooby Newbie

Was thinking of the bug eyed model rather than classic, something like this:

Auto Trader UK - SUBARU IMPREZA 2000 cc GX

anyone have experience of the Auto?
Old 25 June 2009, 02:42 PM
The rookie
Scooby Regular

The auto in the 2.0's is basically the same as on the turbo's and is almost totally bomb proof in that application, its a bit of old technology (4 speed) but works very well for all that, its not full time 4WD, but FWD with a power takeoff to the rear controlled by a clutch pack (just like Golf 4-motion/Audi TT etc etc), also for a 2.0 the Subaru is not the most frugal of engines, 28-30mpg is about the best you will get.

Simon
Old 25 June 2009, 03:04 PM
Hock
Scooby Newbie

I was expecting around 30mpg and for a petrol auto of that size it seems pretty average, bmw's alfa's etc are similar.

I know the turbo's are quicker (obviously) but are the 2.0 pretty rapid still or rather mundane? I have an alfa at the moment and would like something thats still a bit of fun to drive

I presume the 4 wheel drive is switchable?
Old 25 June 2009, 03:40 PM
Hock
Scooby Newbie

is the auto box just a straight auto or does it have overide like audi tiptronic?

Appologies ofr all the questions lol but the nearest one for sale to me is 90 miles away so cant nip down for a look
Old 25 June 2009, 03:52 PM
legacytt
Scooby Regular

afaik its just your standard auto box with overdrive and for bhp up to 2002 it was 125bhp, 156bhp after that hope that helps.
Old 25 June 2009, 04:06 PM
Hock
Scooby Newbie

Thanks

Was it just the classic that came in auto, no newer turbo versions?
Old 27 June 2009, 12:19 AM
Hock
Scooby Newbie

i presume so as i cant find any reference to an auto/turbo after the classics
Old 27 June 2009, 01:05 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

TBH, the n/a Scoobs aren't worth bothering with IMHO. The whole point of a Scoob is that shove in the back and the 4WD capabilities. I know you probably 'really want' a Scooby, but you could have a much better and probably much quicker car elsewhere. N/A variants are ugly, pretty slow and thus beyond the point.

The fact that you're house building and planning a wedding means you might be best looking at some turbo diesel cars. The on-boost shove from the diesel torque in modern oil burners can be a bit (proper) Scoob-like, and you'll probably be getting much better economy.

We run a Skoda Octavia 2.0 TDi PD140 as our family lugger and it is brilliant. With 140bhp and 230 lb/ft of torque it pulls well through the short ratio 6sp 'box. It's massive inside with a huge boot considering it's a Golf chassis, but with a simple rear ARB and some low profile rubber, handles really well. Also consider VAG reliability (hmmm ), good residuals, easily 45mpg with 55+ if you try, £120 tax and cheap insurance.

Finish the house, get the wedding out of the way and live the Scooby dream properly when your finances can better cope. These cars will steal every penny you have, and more that you haven't. It might seem a bit bubble-bursting, but it is more sensible, trust me.
Old 27 June 2009, 01:13 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Hock
i presume so as i cant find any reference to an auto/turbo after the classics
A mate of mine had a Bugeye (02 I think) WRX Wagon with an auto box, but he had it imported from Japan to be specially converted for his disability. I don't know if they sold them in the UK

Edit : THIS was his saloon and THIS his old wagon.

Last edited by corradoboy; 27 June 2009 at 01:19 AM.
Old 27 June 2009, 10:07 PM
Hock
Scooby Newbie

I have a 200 break alfa diesel at the minute so can appreciate the pull of the modern diesels, I drove the bmw audi volvo etc equivelant before deciding on the alfa for pure fun to drivability and styling
Dont really want to down it for something thats going to be a lot less fun really although I do have a bike as well so that should satisfy my speed needs imprezas just an option at the moment. are there any reliability issues with them then? I've had jap bikes for years and never had probs with them. I've got friends with audis and v-dubs whos have problems as well and they tend to be expensive to repair, but then you'll get it with any car i suppose
Old 27 June 2009, 10:17 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

In my experience, VAG reliability is a myth. You can't beat Jap stuff for never breaking, being easy to fix if it does and being cheap too. Both our Skoda's have a list of faults, but in 3 years of Scooby ownership I suffered 2 exhaust sensor faults and a knackered wheel bearing (my fault).