ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noisy exhausts?

Search this Thread

Old 23 June 2009, 09:59 PM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner.co.uk Plymouth Dyno Dynamics RR Engine machining and building EcuTek SimTek mapping
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noisy exhausts?

Watch out for "Sound measuring kits" now being used by Police.
Devon and Cornwall have a campaign going about noisy exhausts, apparently backed up with decibel meters. They say that levels should be between 82 and 89 decibels, and gave one guy a fixed penalty of £30 for a reading of 93 decibels, which they said was "three times the limit"

I have no idea where they get their figures from, as there are no specific decibel levels for the MOT test, the only problem being if the tester doesn't like the sound of it. Apparently VOSA, second only to the Gestapo when it comes to motoring self expression, have set these "limits"

I'd say if anyone has a problem, refuse to pay the fixed penalty, then invite them to prove the figures. There are more problems than their tiny brains can cope with!
Just a few..
Where should they test? close to a wall or away from it? Indoors or out? How do they measure background noise? Should it be tested in the open? How far away from buildings? How far from the tailpipe? What angle? What rpm? Should it be drive by or stationary? What load? Uphill or downhill? Who checks the DB meters? How do they check them? Is there a print out? What's a "modified exhaust?" (discuss) What about Aston Martins? Ferraris? TVR's? Bl00dy noisy Buses? Harley Davidsons? Chicken Chasers? There was a sponsored charity bike meet recently where 400 bikes turned up. Should they arrest them all?

They say it's ok between 82 and 89 decibels, what if it's 81, is that too quiet?

Tell you what, if a Scooby is coming you'd get outa the way, if it's a Smartar$e electric car, it'll kill you, as you wouldn't have heard it coming.
Old 23 June 2009, 10:05 PM
V5RLTD
Scooby Regular

Nothing better to do!!!! I just sold the bung for my nur spec, They'll eat me for breakfast!
Old 23 June 2009, 10:07 PM
JP4
Scooby Regular

Location: 700+ WR1 aka The Vuvu Zela...10.6 @ 136 weighing 1370kg....say no more....

They stopped me a few weeks ago on the A3 saying the zorst was too loud and that it would frighten the elderly and others on the road!
Old 23 June 2009, 10:11 PM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner.co.uk Plymouth Dyno Dynamics RR Engine machining and building EcuTek SimTek mapping

Sorry, I forgot a few other variables

Doppler Effect
Inverse Square Law
Temperature variations (Air density and wave transmission issues)
Altitude (pressure density and adiabatic lapse rate)

That lot should keep the lawyers busy!

Last edited by Alan Jeffery; 23 June 2009 at 10:13 PM. Reason: I forgot about altitude!
Old 23 June 2009, 10:12 PM
JRFRACE
Scooby Regular

those do seem incredibly low figures
Old 23 June 2009, 10:13 PM
beef-on-the-bone
Scooby Regular

just had mine converted to true 3" and got no boxes anyway, d'oh!!!!
Old 23 June 2009, 10:15 PM
bigarf
Scooby Regular

with me taking part in the scooby sprint and my exhaust reading 112 db i made a bung for it which has taken it down to 95db.i actually like driving my car now its quieter and i dont think it sounds too noisy at all,there is no way i will get it down to 82 db.
JP4
Scooby Regular

Location: 700+ WR1 aka The Vuvu Zela...10.6 @ 136 weighing 1370kg....say no more....

The question is can the Police insist on taking your car away and have it retested for MOT - and say if you were running full decat then would it not fail the MOT? Could they then do you on that count?
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

My cat farts louder than 82!
Old 23 June 2009, 10:18 PM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Talking of Cats..
"The Cat Police" coming soon to a town near you.
Drive by emission testing, the Greens will have a field day.
Old 23 June 2009, 10:21 PM
F1 CJE UK
Scooby Regular

ha ha what next
Old 23 June 2009, 10:27 PM
hux309
Also known as daz

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah i heard this on the radio today, you'd think they'd have better things to do.

Does anyone know the db level of a decatted tsl group n system?
Old 23 June 2009, 10:34 PM
DJ_Jon
911 C4 pilot

What a joke, I thought I saw them near Wrigleys roundabout with a laser gun and what looked like a sound meter last week..
Old 23 June 2009, 10:37 PM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DJ_Jon
What a joke, I thought I saw them near Wrigleys roundabout with a laser gun and what looked like a sound meter last week..
OK, laser gun in one hand, decibel meter in the other, CCTV on head, watch what they ask you to blow into!
Old 23 June 2009, 10:49 PM
DJ_Jon
911 C4 pilot

Yikes.. what a thought! pass me the mind bleach please
Old 23 June 2009, 10:53 PM
beef-on-the-bone
Scooby Regular

looks like i'm f**ked tomorrow!!!
sneaking into town early but probably be busted onthe way home!!! the ung idea sounds good though, shall look into that.........
Old 23 June 2009, 10:54 PM
fmp
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

its all going too far once again!!

mine is 101db at static noise test, 2/3rds revs (standard track day test), so i would be fooked!! lol
Old 23 June 2009, 11:08 PM
skid11
Scooby Regular

So if anyone follows your advice and challenges the ticket i take it you will be able to help them with your "expert" evidence .
You must have similar qualifications to an MOT tester then?
Old 23 June 2009, 11:22 PM
top_fuel
Scooby Regular

I heard on the radio that BOVs are to be set a DB level too!....

They must know Re-Circulating ones are best.... suppose its not too bad then.
Old 24 June 2009, 03:46 AM
djmisio85
Scooby Regular

The British government is a JOKE

Pretty much all that needs to be said
Old 24 June 2009, 06:37 AM
cster
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another kick in the teeth for attention seeking Chavs.
Old 24 June 2009, 07:55 AM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by skid11
So if anyone follows your advice and challenges the ticket i take it you will be able to help them with your "expert" evidence .
You must have similar qualifications to an MOT tester then?
There are plenty enough instances of clever people getting away with speeding tickets, how do you think I've been able to run a performance tuning centre for 30 years without getting a single conviction?
There are enough holes in sound measurement principles to drive a bus through.

Tell you what, when they stop you, just roll over and pay the man, it's what they are banking on.
Old 24 June 2009, 09:11 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

I see what you mean Alan, if there is no specific guidelines for how the test is carried out (as you say, atmospherics, buildings etc all play their part in either amplifying or distorting sound), how can it be a true test?
If they want to test mine, I will be on the other side of a wall facing open ground with the wind blowing from behind me

Tony

Last edited by TonyBurns; 24 June 2009 at 09:13 AM.
Old 24 June 2009, 12:54 PM
scoobyc
Scooby Regular

The sound of most diesel vans hooning up my street at 6am are more noisey than my exhaust... Take it this test doesnt include induction noise...
Old 24 June 2009, 12:56 PM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Like the hunting law, it's a theoretical minefield, and I can't see how it could ever stick if put to a legal test. If we accept that the man in blue can make it up as he goes along, fine, but noise is subjective to a degree you won't find often in a courtroom.
The worst of it is, as usual, they are targeting the wrong people. Most real trouble is caused by the mass of unemployed and unemployable directionless and feckless yobs out there, not those who work hard to buy themselves a Subaru. The vast majority of my customers don't drink and drive, don't use drugs, and don't carry blades. Why persecute them via any means possible?
Old 24 June 2009, 01:18 PM
DJ_Jon
911 C4 pilot

Originally Posted by Alan Jeffery
The vast majority of my customers don't drink and drive, don't use drugs, and don't carry blades. Why persecute them via any means possible?

Because we are easy targets & have money in our pockets
Old 24 June 2009, 09:21 PM
JP4
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JP4
The question is can the Police insist on taking your car away and have it retested for MOT - and say if you were running full decat then would it not fail the MOT? Could they then do you on that count?
Alan Jeffrey - can the above happen seeing you're quite knowledgable on this area?
Old 24 June 2009, 10:29 PM
skid11
Scooby Regular

I agree with with the principal of what Alan is saying...im just not sure it will stop you getting a ticket for a noisy exhaust..or getting off with it
Decat's and MOT's...as far as i know its up to the individual tester as to the noise and the year of the car as to the level of testing..i think its a different topic really though
Old 24 June 2009, 10:47 PM
Ciaran
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by skid11
I agree with with the principal of what Alan is saying...im just not sure it will stop you getting a ticket for a noisy exhaust..or getting off with it
Decat's and MOT's...as far as i know its up to the individual tester as to the noise and the year of the car as to the level of testing..i think its a different topic really though
I was given an advisory on my MOT for my exhaust being excessively loud but the tester told me had he not been an bike owner who's bike was also loud he would have failed.

In my previous car I was given an ASBO for unnecessary noise at 14.30 hours.
I didn't do a wheelie as the claimed (although i would love to see a VR6 wheelie). I did do 20 in first and he said i accelerated to fast.
Yet again how fast is to fast?
I was fined for causing unnecessary alarm in a residential street with not one person on it no parked cars apart from the Boys in blue hiding in somebody drive.
he asked me why it was so noisy and i said "because it is a 2.8 V6" and he laughed and said
"yes ok whatever why would they put a 2.8 V6 engine in a golf"
I felt like saying "because they can" but just kind of grunted as i was rather mad and had decided that mouthing off would do me no favours.

Basically as per usual motorist are an easy money.

Last edited by Ciaran; 24 June 2009 at 10:50 PM.
Old 24 June 2009, 11:15 PM
skid11
Scooby Regular

Got an advisory on my bike as well .Left the Yoshi on rather than taking it off for the day of the MOT.So what does the advisory mean?
I know the tester and have in the past changed the can for the day of the MOT but it really makes no sense.
It seems very subjective but what seems ok to you might not wash with a middle aged magistrate or your local traffic cop.
It remains your choice though

Quick Reply: Noisy exhausts?