Sponsored by:

Come blow on my Horn !!!

Search this Thread

Old 11 February 2001, 08:56 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

As many of you know I have a MY00 Scooby in loverly DBM with SILVER wheels!!

Now, as a consequence of a thread not too many days ago, I decided to pay a visit to Halfords to purchase a 'proper' Horn !!

You know, the horn sounds so bloody girlie, I reckon the same bloke that came up with the idea to paint silver wheels Gold - also thought hmmmmmmmm, thats a nice 'sweet' horn sound

Anyway, enough of the fun, when I lift my bonnet I find my horn sat just in front of the Battery, then, as if by magic, I spot another behind the front grill!!!!!! and they BOTH work when the horn is sounded????

So?, why two? why do TWO sound so pathetic? and has anyone wired in those smart looking air horns for sale in Halfords for £15 (they look smart in DBM too!!!!!)

Pete
Old 11 February 2001, 09:21 PM
Rebecca
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Pete,

DBMs don't nearly as smart as they do with GOLD wheels ....
Old 11 February 2001, 09:46 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

You blowing my horn Beccy???

pete
Old 11 February 2001, 10:46 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Come on anyone changed the horn???

Pete
Old 11 February 2001, 10:51 PM
miller
Scooby Regular

Bollox to horns, get a PA system wired in.
Old 11 February 2001, 11:14 PM
subverbal
Scooby Regular

Talking

Changing your standard alloys to 'proper' scooby GOLD will turn more heads than a mere horn upgrade !!

Surely someone out there must have tried the cutting edge horn mod ? Perhaps it's so risky that normal folk just bang in a replacement ECU, induction filter, boost gauge and full catless exhaust!

Neil

ps. don't forget to consult your insurer before embarking upon such a feat of engineering.
Old 11 February 2001, 11:35 PM
teknopete
Scooby Regular

Cool

Pete,

If u need a horn then u ain`t done enough 2 the scoob If u got time 2 blow u r horn then u r just toying...

Pete
Old 11 February 2001, 11:42 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Pete,

Don't know what horns you mean in Halfords, but if they are the Ring twin air horn kit (comes in a plastic moulded package, two blue air plastic air horns, cylindrical compressor and clear air lines) then I can recommend them.

The GT4 had a pair of equally poor disc horns which look the same as the Scooby ones. They were pathetic.

Street Cat (next doors cat that lives on my bonnet) wouldn't shift with my old horns. However, he is off like a shot with these ones. You must have seen a cat startled while on a slippy surface ? They don't get anywhere for about the first 10 strides ? Well, its like that

Recommended.

Fitting is a doddle, well was on GT4. Just removed old horns and used the same wires to power the compressor. Only advice would be to make sure the air horns are not pointed directly into direct airflow as they will soon fill with dead flies etc.

Cheers

Ian
Old 11 February 2001, 11:42 PM
SCOTTY
Scooby Regular

Wink

Plewis,

I remember airhorns from the 70's How old are you?

Scotty

PS: Mate of mine is selling some 17" GOLD wheels that would look the dogs on a DBM. Shall I tell him you are interested?
Old 12 February 2001, 12:12 PM
rsquire
Scooby Regular

Smile

Nah Get these.. I've fitted mine behind the grille.

Hella Supertones... 130db !!!

Richard
Old 12 February 2001, 01:29 PM
Andrew O'Hara
Scooby Regular

Cool

I've fitted Ring two tone horns to the P1, now instead of 'meep meep' it goes 'Baarrbbb Baarrbbb' .
Old 12 February 2001, 02:24 PM
P
Scooby Regular

Smile

Changed my horn yesterday

Like yourself I saw the thread a few days ago and checked out Halfords but no joy, so I bought an electic twin horn set from Les Smith's. It's Italian although I can't remember the name (Stobel I think?)

Had a few problems with the fitting, the replacement units are quite a bit bigger than the OE ones, so I had to bend and shape the bracket for the one down by the battery. For the one behind the grill I had to move the bracket so it hangs off one of the bolts for the bonnet release, but all the wires were long enough so no worries.

The resultant sound is much louder than the OE and the cost was £18! and a couple of hours messing around under the bonnet

Matt
Old 12 February 2001, 02:59 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

I bought the air horn kit from Halfords. It's quite high pitched, and I'm not sure which was louder!!!

Jury's still out on this one with me.
Old 12 February 2001, 05:08 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Some sensible answers - some not

I will deal with the nots first!

Neil (Subverbal) - Gold wheels do, indeed, turn heads - from the GAY community AND in the same way that a Nova with all parts of everything turns heads - the look at that D1ck head kind !!

Pete (Teknopete) - Its my first foray into up-grades so go easy on me - anyway someone said all the 'men' in Scotland wear nice little dresses, I cant believe thats true

Ian - Sensible reply, thank you, Yes the Ring Air horns are what I had my eye on - seem good value at £15 - Chairk is not too convinced though???

Scotty - Yes I am ancient!! the air horns I had on my Mach II in the 70's played 'Colonal Bogey' mind you!!!!

Richard - Where from/how much??

Andrew - Are they any good??

Pete

[This message has been edited by pslewis (edited 12 February 2001).]
Old 12 February 2001, 06:46 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Pete,

OK, the twin air horn kit ain't super duper loud, but a damn sight louder than the standard units.

If you are going to be at Dono on Sunday, you can hear them and decide for yourself ?

But 15 squids was top value, so I fitted them anyway.

I did see somewhere advertised a 12V train air horn, something like 145dB

Cheers

Ian
Old 12 February 2001, 07:16 PM
Andrew O'Hara
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Pete,

The ring two tone horns sound similar to the horn on a MK4 Golf GTI Turbo (I know this cos the wife's got one and the horns sound the same). They are also easy to fit in the original places, in front of the battery and behind the grill, took about 1/2 hour including bending the brackets.

The horns sell for £9.99 each in Halfords, that's where I got mine.

Good luck

[This message has been edited by Andrew O'Hara (edited 12 February 2001).]
Old 12 February 2001, 07:21 PM
rsquire
Scooby Regular

Pete,

I got my via the web
Old 12 February 2001, 07:29 PM
RichS
Scooby Regular

Cool

Why not mount your air horns on your bonnet facing backwards towards the air scoop.

Voila! Press the horn = extra boost!
Old 12 February 2001, 07:30 PM
Leigh
Scooby Regular

Talking

Pete!
Why do you need louder horns? Is it to pip at those pesky young whipper-snappers who overtake you when you are pootling along with your trailer-tent on the back?

Surely putting those silly non-subaru horns on your car will crucify the residual value?

Leigh
Old 12 February 2001, 07:32 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Thanks everyone - now for the tricky question - the horns I have seen come complete with a relay - has the scooby already got a relay - in other words do you need to use it?? I reckon the air horns take more current than the standard wiring can carry??

What is it with Subaru and metal??? there panels are made out of bakofoil and they like to instal the minimum amount of copper in their wires!!!

Pete

[This message has been edited by pslewis (edited 12 February 2001).]
Old 12 February 2001, 07:36 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Leigh - they are there to scare the handbags off you Gold Wheel lovers - I can then pick them up and fleece ya (just like the tuning companies do!!!!!)

Anyway your 'grey' cars couldnt cope with the surge in power from air horns - you DO know that the 'greys' are only built to last 3 years don't you??

Pete
Old 12 February 2001, 07:54 PM
Leigh
Scooby Regular

Talking

Pete you cheeky monkey!
Who said I liked gold wheels? My WRX is silver with nice aftermarket jap 6 spokes in SILVER!! They look great BTW, especially with the 'pimp' style blacked out rear windows!
As for them lasting 3 years, mine is a 95 and it is MINT, its even still shiny underneath! (none of that peeling crappy tar-like $hite that they squirt on the 'lesser' export cars!)

Old 12 February 2001, 07:59 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Leigh - you dont drive on Gold wheels???? well i take it all back - do you want to be my bestest friend???

1995 WRX immaculate - worth about £3000 now then??? and a UK car running standard spec 1995 about £9999??? see what I mean about 'greys'??

If yours isnt rusty then I wont bother with my annual underbody inspection - seriously

Pete
Old 12 February 2001, 08:48 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Pete,

I fitted that air horn kit on my GT4 using the original horn wires. On the GT4 the horns are on their own circuit and the fuse is 30 amps and the wires are quite thick anyway. But there again, everything on the GT4 is over engineered.

On the Scooby, I wouldn't risk it and use the relay. Use the current horn wires as the trigger for the relay but main power for the relay direct from battery. Only my opinion after seeing some of the Scooby loom.

Cheers

Ian
Old 12 February 2001, 09:20 PM
Leigh
Scooby Regular

Pete,
£3k LOL!!
It doesn't matter what they're worth if you're not planning on selling, does it?
I don't know what all the fuss about losing money on scoobs is about, I mean, if it bothers people that much, they should buy a cheap runabout and bank their money!
Purely for your amusement, when I bought my car in the summer of '99 I paid £15100 for it, so I guess I am the depreciation king!!!

On a rare serious moment, I shouldn't bother with the underbody inspection, I mean, how long are you planning on keeping it? They surely can't rust that fast! When my car was last serviced (at Roger Clark Motorsport - no main dealer YTS boys get near my car ) Olly Clark did comment on how MINT my car was underneath! It has only been on $hitty UK roads since July 99, though

Sorry if I appeared to be pleasant to you just then, I can assure you it wasn't intended!!

Leigh
Old 12 February 2001, 10:07 PM
PeteT
Scooby Regular

Angry

The Hella supertones that rsquire can get in the US for about 40 quid are available over here from
Old 12 February 2001, 11:17 PM
subverbal
Scooby Regular

Talking

Pete,

I can honestly say that my gold alloys have never drawn the attention of the gay community. Unfortunately for me however my grade one haircut does seem to be the vogue amongst the aforementioned group of people. Therefore I'm forced to kiss goodbye to my usual trim 10 stone body in favour of a more 'hetero-style' 14 stone lump to avoid attacting the wrong type of attention.

As far as horns go - get down to your local Merc breakers and arrange a demo !

Neil.
Old 13 February 2001, 10:29 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Regarding the relay, use it. The cable on the existing horn will not carry 20 amps, so needs the relay.

Note that the relay supplied with mine was broken and stuck open...

Nick.
Old 13 February 2001, 01:57 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Thanks all once again.

Leigh I thought you were going soft on me !!! You know I like my men hard

Relay it is then - new thick wire from - battery - however I have a bad noise coming from the engine bay now - so the horn is the least of my worries - go to my thread please and see if you can throw any light on it????????? thanks all again (even the Gold boys/girls!!)

Pete

[This message has been edited by pslewis (edited 13 February 2001).]
Old 13 February 2001, 05:54 PM
adyhicut
Scooby Senior

Wink

There was a post some time back that showed a link to about 4 different sti horns. You were also able to hear the horns sound.

Don't know when it was though, so i am not much help really am i!

Ady