More armed raids

Search this Thread

Old 05 March 2002, 12:40 PM
Doc
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Telegraph page 4 today

"armed car thieves broke into 4 homes yesterday threatening the owners to get them to hand over their keys. They stole 2 subarus and a BMW, worth 90k but were foiled at the fourth address"

Makes me seriously consider getting rid of the scoob but why should these *******s dictate what I drive. I just worry about my wife when I'm not there. Time to get a shotgun licence I think.
Old 05 March 2002, 12:59 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

And then get imprisoned for 3 years for firing a shot 50 ft above the criminals head to scare them when they were firing back at you with an ak-47. You gotta love the current state of the justice system.

I watched that "britains worst drivers program" yesterday and saw a car thief steal a car and evade police for over 2 hours and putting countless pedestrians and motorits lives in the balance. They then crashed into someones house and nearly drove straight through the lounge window. They then got a £120 fine and a 3 month ban???

Something really needs to be done and I think that the political party that addresses this and sets out a revamp of the whole police resources from cashing in on every motorist via speed cameras to chasing the real criminals and give them suitable punishment, will do well at the next election. I know the police will argue that speeding causes more deaths per year than theft so is of more importance but thats because at this moment in time there are more speeders than thieves - at this rate that will change failry quickly.
Old 05 March 2002, 01:32 PM
Dizzy
Scooby Regular

Angry

Agree with P1 entirely... I couldn't belive what happened to the offenders after watching the worst drivers program... Mind you what would happen if they all got locked up? massive prisons massive taxbills. You've just got to ask a) why do they do it? and b) how to stop them.

I recon (to quote a sherif) its a "Total lack of respect for the Law". I think these "kids" (you'll never stop profesional theives) should have been punished @ school. They know they can get away with whatever they want.

I also had to agree with that guy who said "I'm not the worst driver, just the most banned".. how do these ppl get insurance?! I assume they dont... It just encourages them to drive without.

These ppl just make me sick. However I know some ppl think that I "Drive to fast" aswell .

<rant over>
Old 05 March 2002, 04:04 PM
juan
Scooby Regular

we should seriously drop the quality of prison care. dump the tellys and pool tables etc. halve the guards and keep the scum locked up 23 hours out of 24. Why should they get decent treatment?
Old 05 March 2002, 06:47 PM
RichieD
Scooby Regular

Jeez.. this is really getting out of hand... and as so many other Scoobienetters have commented.. the current Government and Police seem powerless to stamp the crime out...
I'm still a firm supporter of the American system of "three strikes and your out"... ie. LIFE imprisonment after three serious crimes (ie. burglary, robbery, car theft, drink driving etc).
Surely even to the habitual criminal, the threat of LIFE in prison (and I *mean* LIFE) after two strikes is going to make them think twice?!

I'd be interested in YOUR views....

RichieD
Old 05 March 2002, 07:54 PM
Yorkie
Scooby Regular

I agree with Richie and Juan, its far too cushy in prison these days especially with all this human rights bulls***t. Harsh prison conditions, and longer sentences are the only answer.

Yorkie
Old 05 March 2002, 07:57 PM
mattski2
Scooby Regular

sounds spot on, at least it would be some form of deterrent, maybe they should spend some speed-trap revenue on new prisons...
Old 05 March 2002, 08:09 PM
Katana
Scooby Regular

They should re-introduce torture in prison like in the good old days. Some countries still practice this system. And they should have a maximum quota for revanue made from speeding fines like they do with fishes.

I'm sick of being scared sh*tless from both the car-jackers and the cops.
Old 05 March 2002, 08:11 PM
Yorkie
Scooby Regular

Yes that would be a good idea, but the government really ought to stop trying to criminalise every single motorist with this ridiculous zero tolerance on speeding nonsence. The chief constables want to get their priorities right and get the real causes of crime locked up. But like someone said on here the other day, that will not bring in revenue for this lacklustre government like speeding fines will [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Yorkie
Old 05 March 2002, 08:16 PM
care3
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
cut there hands off
Old 05 March 2002, 08:27 PM
andy oakes
Scooby Regular

Talking

j
Old 05 March 2002, 08:31 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
the simple fact is that the courts are not giving custodial sentances so we have to put up with them on our streets, bored out of their boxes and skint. What else are they going to do but commit more crime?

I was once out of work for 18months and totally skint, i never once had the urge to steel from anyone. Poverty is no excuse.

These kids, and in the whole the crime that you and i suffer is from kids and sub 30 year olds, have no respect and dont care if they are caught. It makes no diference to their lives.

The only prisons that should have decent, like home conditions, are remand prisons where people are still legally inocent. If they are convicted they should know they are in prison and when they get out they know they dont ever want to go back there, even if it means being skint and bored.

Dont agree with 3 strikes and your out as thats uneconomical, i do believe in making a prison stay very uncomfortable, i also believe in giving education and oportunities to discuss their life choices. Prison has two jobs, protect the public from people who threaten the general society and reform the behaviour of the criminal. Right now it does neither efectively.
Old 05 March 2002, 09:05 PM
FreeT
Scooby Regular

Angry

1 strike = 5-10 years (more if violent) fines should go to victims
2 strikes = 20 years (hand cut off if violent) forget about fines they'd probably have to commit more crimes to pay the fines.
3 strikes = life (both feet cut off if violent) am i too harsh?

Why should they get away with terrorising inocent people, they have for years now - NO MORE!!!!

Bring back capital punishment - they have no respect or care in the world for others rights of freedom.
Old 05 March 2002, 09:28 PM
NBW
Scooby Regular

Angry

Forget prison, shoot the *******
Old 05 March 2002, 09:37 PM
justing
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Like everyone here it worries me to have the car i have ie the worshipful scoob ,I have 2 kids which are only babies and the bread knife but i work hard for this car thats why im keeping it .

I say bring back capital punishment there are 2 many bloody dogooders for human rights this and that, they know what there doing while commiting the crime so they should serve the punishment .

How about tattoing there foreheads or chopping of a finger for each crime.

Rant over thank you!
Old 05 March 2002, 10:15 PM
FreeT
Scooby Regular

lets face it its not just car crime they get away with is it?
Old 05 March 2002, 10:46 PM
Harry Potter
Scooby Regular

As a psychiatrist who visits prison it makes me laugh the general population think prison is easy.

It is a poor deterent, as they never think they will get caught. The problem is low rates of detection.

Somone tried to steal my car, couldn't and the car was utterly trashed. Still not back after a year.

All the evidence is circumstantial, even after making the statement that he and his "brothers" would steal my car to me and a trainee policeman........all circumstantial. Damned the CPS [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Courts are set targets to process villains quickly, so offering villains a reduced charge and sentence leads to a quick "yes please" 120 hours painting walls and so on.

Old 05 March 2002, 10:55 PM
mbc
Scooby Regular

i get people thieving off me every day in my line of business,if i had my way i would chop their bollox off

also i think the old bill need a serious kick up the backside(especially in bedfordshire),this might help slightly in reducing these sort of crimes.
Old 05 March 2002, 11:29 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
anders, i agree it's not easy in prison but it's not detering repeat offending so it is too easy!

And i also agree that the main issue is the fact that detection rates taken to a conviction are a joke.

Most scene of crime oficers arent even police these days, they are contracted private businesses that charge the police for attending. The guy who attended my break in was a private contractor. He only came because i insisted and kicked up a fuss about it. The reluctance to attend will be based on the costs involved with paying for a contractor, no doubt another "cost saving exercise" for the police force.

I had ZERO comeback, never heard anything from anyone, oh except a victim support leaflet in the post.