Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

was it you - topic

Search this Thread

Old 04 March 2002, 09:22 PM
scottdg
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Could I suggest that the "was it you" forum is locked for the time being. I certainly don't want my car being spotted out side my house and its whereabouts posted on this site. Anyone could be reading these posts!!!
Old 04 March 2002, 09:45 PM
Terzo 333
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Surely if it was locked "for the time being" it would need locking for good

Not a solution IMHO
Old 04 March 2002, 09:49 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

People arent suppose to post locations or numberplates only stuff like I was going down the A54 near Derby @ 10.00am and saw a P1 was it you kind of thing.
Old 04 March 2002, 09:51 PM
JoanUK300
Scooby Regular

Just don`t do any postings over there.
I`m sure everyone will agree in light of recent `happenings`

Joan.xx
Old 04 March 2002, 10:51 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Exclamation

Scott

NO! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No!

This is an over-reaction based on the unfortunate incidents in North London last night. I'm really sorry that it's happened, I'm glad no-one was hurt and hope the f'ers end up in jail for a long time.

However, there is nothing to suggest the "Was It You?" forum played any part in a localised crime. Those f'ers from last night would've cruised the area looking for targets. They're scum & not particularly inteligent.

That Forum is extremely well run and moderated by Nimbus, who takes the job extremely seriously. You would be hard pushed to actually collate enough info from that forum to actually find a member's house.

We must all take precautions on here but the liklyhood of being a victim of that sort of crime from information gleaned from your postings is very remote.

Sorry Scott, but chill a bit m8 & just take sensible precautions.
Old 05 March 2002, 10:04 AM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Scott,

I understand everyone's concern in the rise in car crime, especially the seemingly increased numbers (not seen any stats) of cases were peoples homes have been broken into and their keys stolen.

The "Was it You" forum, as PTMW pointed out, was set up so that if you spot another scooby on your travels and, shock horror, you get a wave , you can post the place/date/time and hopefully get a response. There have been many instances where a casual meeting in this way has lead to a regional meet being organised, and I'm sure a few friendships.

If you read the "Rules of the house", you will see that the specific posting of parked locations is forbidden as is full registration details. I take this very seriously and instances of this (I think there have been two since the forum was set up) are edited.

You can be sure that I keep sharp eye on this forum due the possibility of someone not sticking to the rules and posting details they shouldn't. If you, or any user, sees something they think breaks the rules, or could in any way be suspect, then they should use the "Report thread to moderator" button.

I hope this puts you mind at rest on this issue.
Old 05 March 2002, 10:17 AM
JoanUK300
Scooby Regular

Sorry Puff, I disagree.
As we live live NEAR the car crime hot spot, I would be horriried if someone posted that they saw us in or near our vicinity. I`m sure Peter would too.
I know what you`re saying but this car crime `is a bit too close for comfort` if you get my drift?
So please if any of you do spot us we would be happy with just a wave for the time being, anyway.
Thanks.
Joan.
Old 05 March 2002, 10:28 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

I would think the people who are posting times and places for meets would be more likely to be potential targets.
Old 05 March 2002, 10:34 AM
STi go fast
Scooby Regular

maybe a post could be pinned to the top with ppl adding their details to it if they dont want to be "spotted"?
Old 05 March 2002, 10:34 AM
RichB
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

>That Forum is extremely well run and moderated by Nimbus, who takes the job extremely seriously. You would be hard pushed to actually collate enough info from that forum to actually find a member's house.

Its not that hard though, some users are posting with their full name and town they live in! It does not take a genius to find out where someone lives.
The was it you forum is fine...
Old 05 March 2002, 11:01 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Rich

Why bother trying to play car-thief detective, when you can just cruise to your local ASDA/Homebase/Sainsbury's/Tesco, wait for one to turn up & follow it discretely home?

Scoobs aren't exactly rarer than rocking-horse poo, are they?

I agree about posting your home town, or area, on your profile though. Counties or large connurbations at the worst. UK better, or muppet forum if really sick
Old 05 March 2002, 11:25 AM
Little Miss WRX

Exclamation

PTMW

As long as people posting in there are aware that no details are to be posted that could lead to someone being found then there is no reason to panic.

Should anybody do so, there is a report moderator link that you can use if ever (and I doubt it will) be needed.
Old 05 March 2002, 12:37 PM
dosenöffner
Scooby Regular

I would suggest that some of the pictures from meets are edited a little better also so number plates can not be seen.

Only costs a couple of quid to get and address from a number plate.
Old 05 March 2002, 01:13 PM
storm555
Scooby Regular

We should all be keeping our eyes out for the Red Subaru that the robbers used yesterday morning to escape in.......
Old 05 March 2002, 01:26 PM
DavidRB
Scooby Regular

They're scum & not particularly inteligent.
They acquire £20k cars with about ten minute's worth of effort. Sounds pretty intelligent to me.

Modern thieves can be intelligent, clued-up and surprisingly inventive, they are not all brain-dead thugs who sit around in council houses drinking beer all day. Assume that they do read Scoobynet and that they do read "Was it you" and act accordingly.

I agree that they are scum though.