Legislation on car meets?

Search this Thread

Old 21 May 2009, 09:02 AM
Cret
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Legislation on car meets?

Morning guys

Just wondering if anyone knows the lowdown on the laws concerning meets? I've been told that any meeting of 12 or more cars has to be legally organised in a certain way etc but am having a spot of trouble finding the official details on this kind of thing and exactly what's involved.

If anyone knows this info for definite (rather than 'has heard') then I'd be really grateful to know, especially if you've a link to a site with the relevant act/order or what have you.

Cheers folks
Jim
Old 21 May 2009, 09:40 AM
scoobyc
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if 24 cars turn up at the same place, then that must be two car meets of 12 people on the same day at the same time at the same palce? and so legal
Old 21 May 2009, 09:43 AM
Cret
Scooby Regular

Interesting one mate, but somehow I can't see that the rozzers would be inclined to agree!
Old 21 May 2009, 10:08 AM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you charge for admission then certain rules apply (havent the faintest clue what they are - insurance, risk assessment, providing somewhere to pee etc?)
If a dozen or so blokes just "happen" to turn up at the same place, then it's all very unofficial!

JohnD

Last edited by JohnD; 21 May 2009 at 10:10 AM.
Old 21 May 2009, 10:15 AM
WRXMATT
Scooby Regular

Providing everyone is parked legally, no obstructions etc, no antisocial behaviour as in loud music late at night etc and no driving offences then no laws are broken.
Old 21 May 2009, 01:39 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Wikipedia says "Although cruising is not a crime in itself ..." but then spoils the effect by saying "As a result of increased police powers legal cruises have been established such as Weston Wheels, ... these do not satisfy the desires of most cruisers so illegal cruising continues."

Hmmmm.
Old 21 May 2009, 01:59 PM
Cret
Scooby Regular

Hmmm,cheers for the replies so far.

Doesn't it come under the banner of public gatherings of people being subject to specific laws regardless of noise/nuisance etc?

I'm told this is the case but as yet can't find the details.
Old 21 May 2009, 02:22 PM
scoobyc
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just do it and worry later.

As long as your not being a tit youll be fine...

Its not against the law to meet some like minded people. I will continue as i have always done. my local jap meet doesnt see much police attention nowadays cos all the tossers have been punished. Whats so bad about 100 or so IT geeks with fast cars talking to each other eh
Old 21 May 2009, 02:36 PM
Cret
Scooby Regular

That's fine mate and I agree that should be the case for anyone who behaves themselves in theory and that it's not illegal to organise meets etc. But, as I say I believe there are laws that apply to organised gatherings above a certain number of people/vehicles.

Basically, I'm asking these questions not from my own point of view of attending a meet, but because I run a forum where meets are arranged, so I am assuming I could be liable potentially if something happens at a meet that has been organised on the site, even if I have not arranged it myself.

Probably should have mentioned that already I guess but I didn't do as it's the same laws that would apply to the meet regardless of who you are. The difference is it could be me in the doo doo if other people have a blunder or upset people, so I want to ensure I know these laws & can therefore make sure that any meets arranged on my site are done in accordance with such rules/red tape.

I doubt it will be an issue as I have a good bunch of people on there, but I can't guarantee that, so as there's no way I can afford to end up in court, it has to be a case of 'better safe than sorry' to protect both the future of my site and my own financial security etc.

Hope that makes sense
Old 21 May 2009, 02:41 PM
ian.b
BANNED

there just jelouse coz we got more m8ts hehe
Old 21 May 2009, 03:17 PM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

If the meet is in a Tesco's car park without their permission (for example..) then the police can do something about as it is trespass I guess. If you have permission from the landowner, such as the pub landlord/manager for the local meets I (and I guess many of us go to) then there shouldn't be any bother at all.