ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

P1 VERSUS STI 7 PERFORMANCE

Search this Thread

Old 03 March 2002, 07:22 PM
simakinen
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi chaps
How do people who have owned or driven a P1, then have driven the new sti7 rate their respective performances? Is the new sti7 anywhere near the performance of the P1? I have just spent a week driving a borrowed P1 and am very impressed with the performance, so i was kind of hoping that the new sti would offer near identical performance.Ive heard that fitting a complete Scoobysport exhaust or similar would add quite a bit of extra oomph. Regards, SIMON
Old 03 March 2002, 07:25 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Someone did a test drive of both and posted a review a few days back.

In short. P1 was marginally faster in a straight line, STi7 better in the bends.

Can't remember any more, sorry. Try both and see what you prefer.
Old 03 March 2002, 07:29 PM
mr_6
Scooby Regular

Simon.

I Thought you owned a P1 and you sent it back?

R U going soft

MR 6
Old 03 March 2002, 07:44 PM
simakinen
Scooby Regular

MR 6
YOUR RIGHT I DID OWN A P1 AND SELL IT EARLY TO BUY ANOTHER EVO. I borrowed a friends p1 this week and seem to have got on with this car better than my own. I quite like the look of the new sti and the build quality seems to be a lot better, but the performance is the main issue for me. The price seems ok as well, but is it as good as an evo? That said i think your quite right saying that ive gone soft, i would say that ive cracked up completely and am going round in never ending circles, but what else is there to buy but one of these tarmac shredders, an M3? nnaaaa. Go on then let me know who you are. Regards, SIMON.
Old 03 March 2002, 08:11 PM
z80
Scooby Regular

Hi,

I've just celebrated 1 years worth of P1 ownership & the car's still stunning by my standards. I test drove a UK STi (already posted my views but you did ask) and I find the P1 better in sheer UK road performance.

In the daft 0-60 quoted times P1 = 4.6 & Autocar achieved 4.9 secs for the STi UK. So there's not much in it as far as straight lines are concerned. I can't remember what the 0-100 times were.

I prefer the manic P1 performance but I'll review the situation when Prodrive offer their PPP to the STi.

For what's it was worth, best regards,

Simon
Old 03 March 2002, 08:38 PM
Andy W
Scooby Regular

I believe that I read the P1 is 1 sec quicker to 100mph.

Andy
Old 03 March 2002, 08:48 PM
jason b
Scooby Regular

Red face

Simon you must be mad!!!!!!!!!
Every panel on the new STI will soon to changed as subaru have given prodrive the contract due to poor sales, i have had x2 P1's very good cars indeed but my BIG RED 7 (evo) is on a different planet in every department to both P1 & STI, come si you know the score!!!!!
J
MLR (hunter)))
Old 03 March 2002, 09:28 PM
KenG
Scooby Regular

Jason, your information on all the panels being changed comes from where? My information differs.

I doubt your poor STI sales statement as demand seems to be exceeding supply in just about every country where they are available. Sales of the basic WRX could be a different issue.

Having driven a P1 (generous friend serving a driving ban) and owning an STI7, I think the P1 more hard-nosed and slightly manic. I like both but prefer to have 4 doors and the slightly softer feel of the STI (maybe its an age thing). They are both great cars.

Ken
Old 03 March 2002, 10:59 PM
mr_6
Scooby Regular

Simon, I hope this helps.

The answers are here

Call me when your big ends let go
Old 04 March 2002, 10:43 AM
simakinen
Scooby Regular

Cheers MR 6
Thats fantastic that is. Made me chortle. Ive booked myself in for some serious sessions. Regards, SIMON.
Old 04 March 2002, 10:54 AM
Josh L
Scooby Regular

Ken,

The suggestions, from many different sources) are that Prodrive have been employed to re-skin the WRX for MY03. If true, this would obviously have to include the STi.

Regardless of sales, people are obviously not completely at ease with the new model, otherwise there wouldn't so few unmodified cars (lights, front lip, rear wing).

I drove both, back to back, last June last year, and was very impressed with the STi. However, I didn't like the more refined ride of the STi nor the less progressive loss of grip I experienced throwing it round Kemble airfield. Having said that, the one I drove was an import.

Presently, I'm more than happy to stick with my P1.

Josh