ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Can i take it off???

Search this Thread

Old 17 May 2009, 10:42 PM
fat_boy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can i take it off???

hi all just a quickie i have a 97 sti jdm and was wondering can you take the side vents tray thingy off from underneath the bonnet to let in more air ie is it safe with water etc as i have an hks mushroom filter on it??? cheers Ben
Old 17 May 2009, 10:47 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Better off removing the head lamp rubbers on the bonnet, and yes the induction will get wet which is BAD.
Old 17 May 2009, 10:49 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was reading something by Harvey today were he said that by removing these covers he had seen under bonnet temperatures increase by up to 12 degrees. Especially bad if you have an induction kit
Old 18 May 2009, 12:49 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They are cosmetic, removing them will put water straight onto your electrics (passenger side one) hence why they are plated underneath

Tony
Old 18 May 2009, 08:33 AM
speedy steve
Scooby Regular

as above, totally pointless & will no doubt cause more harm than good although having said that I took the drivers side one off cause it gives my leaking cooling system somewhere to vent the steam !!

Makes folk think you've been thrashing the car to bits when you stop at lights or car park & the steam starts billowing out .......
Old 18 May 2009, 09:52 AM
scoobmj
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
They are cosmetic, removing them will put water straight onto your electrics (passenger side one) hence why they are plated underneath

Tony
are they cosmetic, i always thought they allows the heat to vent from the engine bay.

surly if they were just cosmetic they would be blanked of completely underneath instead of having a gap?
Old 18 May 2009, 10:18 AM
[-(o)-]
Scooby Regular

They're a hangover from the homologation of the old Grp A cars. You'll notice the newages don't have them.

Any gaps/holes are purely for drainage - still sends water directly onto the electrics or exhaust (steams like a b*tch if its wrapped!) though.

IIRC Harvey did some extensive testing to do with under bonnet air flow. Its not immediately logical, but you want to direct the heat out of the underside of the car.