Sponsored by:

buying a scooby

Search this Thread

Old 17 May 2009, 07:58 PM
wiltshirej
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default buying a scooby

i was hoping you guys can help me im buying a scooby wrx 2003 model and want to know is there anything i should look out for before buying it and its done 60,000 miles is this good cheers john
Old 17 May 2009, 08:21 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

At that age check the service history closely. The 60k service is a biggy involving the cambelt, so it's preferable that it's done prior to you acquiring it. The previous 50k should have been all fluids and filters too, so another biggy, make sure it wasn't missed or bodged. Have a squint at the brakes and see how worn the discs and pads are as they could set you a few quid if they're needy. Also look closely at the tires for uneven wear which may indicate either aggressive driving or the alignment being badly out, and obviously if they're nearly worn out it's another bill to bargain the price down with. On a test drive, accelerate strongly in 2nd and third with the wheel loose in your hand to see if it pulls to either side, and then feel for the same in harsh braking. Look for evidence of mods being removed, rounded nuts, fresh grease or freshly shined threads and ask why they're not there and what they were. Avoid mods such as stupid VTA 'blow-off' dump valves and silly induction kits which do nothing for the cars power or reliability. Check panel gaps and wheel spacings, and look for possible overspray in shuts, on tires, in arches, on wipers etc. Make sure they have both keys and that the address where you're viewing the car is the same as on the V5. Check the VIN under the bonnet, and under the flap by the drivers seat to the V5. Do you have a link to the car so I can have a looksee ? Remember, there are loads of these for sale so if anything worries you, just walk away and look for another. Similarly, haggle hard on price, not making out you're as giddy as a schoolboy about to get his first BJ
Old 17 May 2009, 08:44 PM
wrx fifer
Scooby Regular

i agree to all those things but when your there you sometimes get carried away i have on one i bought and iv had 4 now, the one i never looked at right had clearly a hard life before i got so i gave that one 2 the missus obviously but also its not a new car!! if you want a perfect in every way car with a guarantee buy a new one otherwise there may be some stuff cant be avoided its used(personally i would never buy new)
Old 17 May 2009, 09:45 PM
wiltshirej
Scooby Newbie

here is the site hope this helps mate.

Focus Car Sales Ltd | Bury St Edmunds | Car Stock
Old 17 May 2009, 09:51 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

LINK

Seems about right for the money. Have a good look around on here, SIDC and Pistonheads before jumping in though as you might find a lower miles or higher spec car for similar money.

Car is currently uninsured and hasn't been taxed since March. Been on their lot a while, so haggle hard on the price and be prepared to walk away and let them chase you

Last edited by corradoboy; 17 May 2009 at 09:56 PM.
Old 17 May 2009, 10:50 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Just to whet your appetite about how much more you could get for slightly more cash.....CLICKY (member on here) but unfortunately sold.
Old 18 May 2009, 06:49 PM
wiltshirej
Scooby Newbie

thankyou for your help mate but has of today i have payed for my car by finance and cant wait to get it to play with it.