Sponsored by:

F***ing Gauges!!!! :(

Search this Thread

Old 17 May 2009, 05:17 PM
AlanPPP
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry F***ing Gauges!!!! :(

Just spent the whole morning wiring up 3 gauges and a pillar pod to my classic...

They are Dynamyx racing gauges from Xyberauto's (i bought them new off a guy off here)

Even though they are getting the full 12V they are very dark in the daytime but i think at night they will be ok...also the 'Universal' pod is a horrendous fit!!! Didn't even mate it up before i'd put all the gauges in fed the wires through the car etc..had to extend every wire from the gauges as they were daft short.

Now i don't know what to do! Is there another reason why they are too dark? I've got to fork out for a proper impreza triple pod and maybe even new gauges....Knew i should have gone the extra mile and got the Prosport steppers with a proper pod but i only paid £60 for what i have now

Rant Over.LOL
Old 17 May 2009, 05:52 PM
mje_wrx
Scooby Regular

have u wired the illumination wire in right, either to the dimmer switch or run it to the switch live, so always lit.

take one gauge out and only power the illumination, just to make sure its all right.
Old 17 May 2009, 08:05 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Location: Newcastle. 330bhp-289lb/ft @ 1bar boost - 12.4s @ 105mph
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Universal pods are crap.

Got a direct fit one in mine from;

Nomad Racing online store for Ford | RS | Subaru and much more..
Old 17 May 2009, 09:54 PM
AlanPPP
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mje_wrx
have u wired the illumination wire in right, either to the dimmer switch or run it to the switch live, so always lit.

take one gauge out and only power the illumination, just to make sure its all right.
I didn't think of taking 2 out and seeing what one was like mate, thanks for the idea...will try that tommorow

I wired it into the cigarette lighter feed..daft question but would it matter if i didn't connect the cig lighter back up??

Just been out to look at them (at night) and they look awesome
Old 17 May 2009, 09:57 PM
AlanPPP
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mickywrx
Universal pods are crap.

Thanks for that also Micky...the one thing that put me off that though was the bad review to the right of the screen when you click on the product

How is yours??
Old 17 May 2009, 10:02 PM
Proby521
Scooby Regular

Don't matter if you don't wire the cigarette lighter back up if your not needing it. Not looked at best place to wire them up, but I personally would prob be looking at the back of the hazard light switch loom, or go in behind the stereo. Just double check the wiring on the gauges, they usually have an extra wire for illumination, some also change brightness (which you would usually tap into the headlight switch to activate the illumination brighter when your lights are on).
Old 17 May 2009, 10:11 PM
AlanPPP
Scooby Regular

I havn't got a dimmer mate....Euro import classic.With them being bright at night i'm sure there getting there full voltage.Just been speaking to a guy with the same problem and i might fit brighter LED's from Maplin's?? Can gauges be taken apart easy?
Old 17 May 2009, 10:22 PM
AlanPPP
Scooby Regular

Also guys whilst i'm here......

What does the 'Bright switch' do?? Mine dosn't 'Rock' properley so i'm wondering if this has anything to do with it?
Old 17 May 2009, 10:45 PM
carlito
Scooby Regular

Got a pod for sale if your interested:

https://www.scoobynet.com/private-sa...entre-pod.html

I recently wired in my gauges and took the lighting power/ permenant and switched live from the back of the rear demister switch.

Invest in some Defi's mate when you can afford it, you will never look back and they are by far the most straight forward gauges to fit and add to

Good luck anyway!

PS: pretty sure the bright switch adjusts the brightness of the digital clock display on the dash but i'm not 100%! Will check it in my car tomorrow!

Last edited by carlito; 17 May 2009 at 10:48 PM.
Old 18 May 2009, 08:41 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Smile

Originally Posted by AlanPPP
Thanks for that also Micky...the one thing that put me off that though was the bad review to the right of the screen when you click on the product

How is yours??
Sorry for the late reply, been busy.

Agree with the review to an extent, I didn't fit mine initially though was done at Revolution.

The original A pillar cover is cut away to an extent and my gauge pod is help at the top by the alarm sensor screw. Which wasn't ideal as it was unsecure but in place elsewhere.

The fix, drill a hole in the gauge pod further down and use a wall plug in the A pillar frame. See pic below,

It could probably do with another screw lower down, between the bottom 2 gauges, but it doesn't move about noticably.

Also it doesn't quite sit flush with the top of the screen, that's I think because some of the original trim is still there, it's not noticable when you're driving though.

I hope that's of use to you.

Micky
Old 18 May 2009, 09:08 PM
westybikes
Scooby Regular

alan i emailed the bloke i bought them from and this is the reply i had

"Hi there mate, when i had my last set i wired them to two power sources, the one going to the battery and the ignition. Other than that mate i dont know as i didn't even open these ones"

i am still wainting on a reply from Xyberauto's as soon as it comes ill forward it on.
cheers carl
Old 18 May 2009, 09:10 PM
ScoobyNudge
Scooby Regular

Sorry for the late reply, been busy.

Agree with the review to an extent, I didn't fit mine initially though was done at Revolution.

The original A pillar cover is cut away to an extent and my gauge pod is help at the top by the alarm sensor screw. Which wasn't ideal as it was unsecure but in place elsewhere.

The fix, drill a hole in the gauge pod further down and use a wall plug in the A pillar frame. See pic below,

It could probably do with another screw lower down, between the bottom 2 gauges, but it doesn't move about noticably.

Also it doesn't quite sit flush with the top of the screen, that's I think because some of the original trim is still there, it's not noticable when you're driving though.

I hope that's of use to you.

Micky
micky have u you got a pic with your gauges working they are swoosh gauges right?

look exactly like mine I have just bought a centre gauge pod from flat4 online none of it is fitted yet your set up looks good mate!

can some one put up a how to on wiring in gauges? or direct us to one?

cheers mark
Old 18 May 2009, 11:26 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Originally Posted by NudgeJ
micky have u you got a pic with your gauges working they are swoosh gauges right?

look exactly like mine I have just bought a centre gauge pod from flat4 online none of it is fitted yet your set up looks good mate!

can some one put up a how to on wiring in gauges? or direct us to one?

cheers mark
Not sure if I have one of them working, if not I'll take one of them working ish.

Yeah they are Swoosh gauges, they are gettin pulled out soon, though.
Old 18 May 2009, 11:29 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Old pic;

Not the best either.
Old 19 May 2009, 10:54 AM
AlanPPP
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that Mickey! Big help mate Can't decide wether to get that one or a dash mount...with the gauges being this dark i think i'll stick to an A pillar pod.

Carl that's great mate...currently looking into putting in a higher power Red L.E.D into the gauges to help bu they don't seem to want to come aprt easy for me to do this Not too sure what connecting them up to two power supplys will do but worth a try.Another guy on here is having the same problem with his Dynamyx gauges too.

Might just bite the bullet and get a full set of Propsort ones with a new A pillar pod and sell these ones on EBAY!!!
Old 19 May 2009, 04:59 PM
TCHWRX
Scooby Newbie

Not that this is any comfort but I am having the s..t problems with the Dynamyx Racing gauges.
Bought a set from Xyberautos.com - price is very good but I forgot my own words 'you get what you pay for'.
1. issue was that the three gauges were not the same type, but two diff. types. After spending shipping money to send the gauges back for an exchange, the new gauges showed up and all was now the same model / looks.
2. issue came at installing. Oil pressure gague does not work, the others are sort-of working, but they have this idea from time to time that they think that the zero point is somewhere else than actually. This means that the 'Auto zero feature' does not do its job but rather just runs the needle 270 degree without adjusting the zero point.
3. As for the oil pressure gauge I thought the pressure sender unit was failing so I bought a new one, cheaper than buying a new gauge, but the gauge is the one not working.

So now I am stuck with two pressure sending units, both working. An oil pressure gauge that is not working at all and a oil temp. and turbo pressure gauge that is not always resetting to zero so the readings are wrong.

Again, YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR and these gauges are CHEAP ****

DONT BUY.
Old 19 May 2009, 05:02 PM
TCHWRX
Scooby Newbie

Might just bite the bullet and get a full set of Propsort ones with a new A pillar pod and sell these ones on EBAY!!!
AlanPPP, please dont pass on your bad purchase to others on Ebay. Take the loss as 'learning money' and remember next time (I am doing the same, read above)
Old 19 May 2009, 06:41 PM
PantsUK
Scooby Regular

Universal pods are crap.

I bought the one at the bottom of the page and the fit was totally shi1te. In fact I ended up filling sanding then painting the unit to fit. Also you have to cut away a couple of the mounting clips and then use two plastic screws that just sort of wedge in, even then I've had to use foam pads to hold it in place rather than it moving around as I turn corners!!!

At the same time as this mistake I also bought those gauges and have both fecking problems.... they are unusable in the day (great at night) and my oil pressure gauge doesn't work I'm not sure what's the problem with that one.

All in all bought cheap paid the price,,,, saying that I wouldn't buy defis and a zero sports pod just something suitable in between, like the prosport steppers!
Old 20 May 2009, 06:30 PM
AlanPPP
Scooby Regular

Bloody hell so it's not just me then!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for that TCHWRX i'll probably just keep them in the garage or somthing mate...i'm not the type to **** somone over.BTW are yours really dark in the daytime too??

PantsUk i'm gonna get some Propsports soon
Old 20 May 2009, 06:33 PM
AlanPPP
Scooby Regular

Email i've just had back after complaining to Xyberauto's.....

Hi Alan,

Thanks for your mail. The gauges tend to be darker in the daytime,
especially under direct sunlight. What you can do is to locate the gauges in
a shadier place, and that will help a lot.

Thanks.

Regards,
Danny

Well THANKS That's gonna make me feel better for wasting £70!
Old 20 May 2009, 07:04 PM
westybikes
Scooby Regular

Email i've just had back after complaining to Xyberauto's.....

Hi Alan,

Thanks for your mail. The gauges tend to be darker in the daytime,
especially under direct sunlight. What you can do is to locate the gauges in
a shadier place, and that will help a lot.

Thanks.

Regards,
Danny

Well THANKS That's gonna make me feel better for wasting £70!
really sorry for putting this on you mate its not something that Xyberauto's tell you when you buy a set of gauges but i didnt have any idea . i would imagine its something that Xyberauto's needs telling then something maybe soughted but thats no help to you. ill email them again as i have no reply , i do no they sell shades for there gauges so they must have an idea they are not letting of enough light out,
if i put in a bit more of a complaint they may coff up for a set of shades !
cheers carl
Old 21 May 2009, 04:28 PM
TCHWRX
Scooby Newbie

Bloody hell so it's not just me then!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for that TCHWRX i'll probably just keep them in the garage or somthing mate...i'm not the type to **** somone over.BTW are yours really dark in the daytime too??

PantsUk i'm gonna get some Propsports soon
No mine are actually not dark at all in the sun, they are almost as bright and clear as they are in the dark.
Only problem I have now is that the oil pressure gauge is showing no signal at all, despite the fact that an Ohm-meter is showing that the pressure sensor is working.

I tried to email Danny as well a while ago about the gauge not working and heard nothing back at all.
Old 21 May 2009, 10:43 PM
westybikes
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by westybikes
really sorry for putting this on you mate its not something that Xyberauto's tell you when you buy a set of gauges but i didnt have any idea . i would imagine its something that Xyberauto's needs telling then something maybe soughted but thats no help to you. ill email them again as i have no reply , i do no they sell shades for there gauges so they must have an idea they are not letting of enough light out,
if i put in a bit more of a complaint they may coff up for a set of shades !
cheers carl
danny from Xyberauto's replied to my email

fromDanny Lee <danny@xyberautos.com>
tocarl west <west2146@googlemail.com>
dateThu, May 21, 2009 at 2:45 AM
subjectRE: Enquiry from XyberAutos.Com
mailed-byeigbox.net
hide details 2:45 AM (19 hours ago) Reply

Hi Carl,
It is me again. I guess you have bought the Dynamyx Turbo Stepper set. There
is a button to increase the brightness of the gauge. You can refer to the
manual for the way to increase the brightness.
Let us know how it goes.

Regards,
Danny

alan let me no if they are the stepper gauges if not let me no what they are and ill get back to him and see what else he has to say.
cheers carl
Old 22 May 2009, 03:28 AM
TCHWRX
Scooby Newbie

Thing to consider is that you have to send the gauges back to them and pay for the shipping. Before you know it, the saving you originally gained by buying cheap is being burned on postage.
Good luck thou.
Old 22 May 2009, 02:37 PM
JT386
Scooby Regular

i have the same guages as you i think, and you can change the brightness, if you tap the reset button while they are turned on it cycles through the different brightness settings

James
Old 22 May 2009, 09:16 PM
AlanPPP
Scooby Regular

There not the Stepper gauges guys No buttons etc to change anything.

Westy it ain't your problem mate don't worry about it Learned another valuable lesson in life.A guy off here has VERY kindly offered me a new triple centre pod for free so i'm going for that and getting the Prosport Steppers Just gotta find another £110 for them lol