ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Racist Comments on ScoobyNet

Search this Thread

Old 03 March 2002, 09:33 AM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi All

This message is aimed at a TINY minority. In fact the only reason it deserves a post is because of the seriousness of the subject.

ScoobyNet will NOT tolerate racist comments. The members in general will not tolerate it either, which is displayed in any topic that someone posts a racist comment.

No matter how innocent or "jokey" the comment may be, this medium is a black and white text only medium where thousands of people may view your comments. Whilst I am sure there is no malice intended, the potential offence to individuals is real.

Continued posting of racist comments will result in being banned from scoobynet, and / or potentially more serious action being taken.

Regards

webmaster
Old 03 March 2002, 09:49 AM
stephen emery
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Ban straight away anyone who makes even one racist comment.
Maybe let them make a case for appeal.
Think that should be the way.

Agree with the statement apart from that.

cheers
steve
Old 03 March 2002, 09:56 AM
Scott J Davies
Scooby Regular

Talking

Webby you have got to think about subscription in order to weed out the pollution that now fouls this once great BBS.

SJD
Old 03 March 2002, 10:12 AM
dfullerton
Scooby Regular

Name and shame
Old 03 March 2002, 10:28 AM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Subscription is a great Idea.
Old 03 March 2002, 10:34 AM
Gary Foster
Scooby Regular

I fully support the Webmasters approach on this.

As a lot of people on here are friends off the board, some comments could easily be made which don't offend the two parties involved - but would offend a 3rd Party who was not in on the joke.

So lets not go an a which hunt just yet.
Old 03 March 2002, 11:29 AM
Sheepsplitter
Scooby Regular

I agree this is not the forum for racist comments, however I don't agree with censorship.
Let the idiots post 'their views', we can rise above them.
Old 03 March 2002, 11:33 AM
catflap
Scooby Regular

Talking

Her her. Simply no place.

Scooby net is (imho) a place for people to share intellectual, some times humorous issues. have learned allot form the may obviously intelligent people.

Racism in itself simply shows a lack of understanding of anything outside there small secluded safe little world.

Being welsh and living n England, you slowly get sick of the humorous sheep jokes, very funny yeh right.

Ban em
Old 03 March 2002, 11:42 AM
Sheepsplitter
Scooby Regular

Hey, I'm english and I've had to take a lot of sheep jokes.

To be truly non-racist I wonder if I should marry a black sheep ?
Old 03 March 2002, 11:44 AM
Active
Scooby Regular

Angry

Iv`e read your comments with interest. I have been reading Scoobynet for quite a time and personally have not yet experienced any racial comments that either myself or any minority group could take offence at. What I do find objectionable is comments made by morons such as the likes of Imatrucka!.
This person really pisses me off!
Every thread I read appears to have some inane comment or remark from him.
He must be the epitome of an ageing boy racer with nothing better to occupy his time than to make some benign comment on, and all that is written on this net.
Not once have I seen a thread from him that has been either constuctive or to contain any content worth reading, and almost without exception should be destined for the trash can!.
I have never in the past criticised anyone publicly, because I strongly believe that everyone is entitled to his/her opinion and be able to voice it.
Unfortunately prats such as he abuses the privalige on every occasion and his benign comments are neither amusing or of interest, moreso they are of no substance, and are about as gripping as the instructions for use on a fire extinguisher and about as exciting as a comment from the wife as too "shall we go for a jolly good walk".
It is a pity that he is not a woman that could be subjected to the occasional beating such as one would a gong with the forlorn hope that this would lead to the occasional bouts of protracted silence.
Wait for it chaps...it`s going to come!
Bob
Old 03 March 2002, 11:59 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Active, I think you are being imatrukahsist, and strickly speaking you should be banned.

Simon, I agree with you that racism is a bad thing, but I think it would be wrong to delete and ban.

People always go on about freedom of speach, and although this time it works against us, you have to draw a line somewhere.

Being jewish, I have seen my fair share of racism, and in the past have been disgusted to see full page adverts in reputable magazines dedicated to the national front, with captions offering proof that the jews made up the holocaust to gain sympathy votes. It hurt to see this in print having lost family in the holocaust, but unfortunately our society gives people this right.

We dont always like it, but it works both ways. In orer to censor someone has to decide what is right and wrong, and this to me can be even worse.

I would rather be shown that such people exist and learn to rise above/decide for myself what I believe.

Old 03 March 2002, 11:59 AM
jamesa
Scooby Regular

Question

Simon,

What exactly are the implications here - are you (the BBS) at risk from prosecution or something. I have not seen the comments in question but for me, on the face of it - it`s an interesting comparison to all the comments related to excessive speed; irresponsible behaviour; excessive`implied` bad language....

I know that Subaru dealers view us and consider the warranty implications of our admissions; may be the police do as well and wait around a local corner..will we be banned by admissions here ?

Membership.....no thanks

[Edited by jamesa - 3/3/2002 12:03:48 PM]
Old 03 March 2002, 12:44 PM
Scooby370beast
Scooby Regular

Mr FOOTLONG RACISM COMMENTS: "Is Alberick a close relation by any chance? Bad clone? Liberated from a farm perhaps? The mind boggles.....
Where are all of you silly people coming from. Most of the time we all get along and have constructive conversations. We like our litle world on here."
Old 03 March 2002, 12:46 PM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

Question

How on earth can that be construed as racist????? . Come up with some thing better please.

Doh, doh, typo

[Edited by Mr Footlong - 3/3/2002 12:56:25 PM]
Old 03 March 2002, 12:47 PM
Scooby370beast
Scooby Regular

Alberick is from Luxembourg and then you said where you people come from?

Old 03 March 2002, 12:49 PM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

Question

Dude, you are so clutching at straws......
Why are you so set on making an issue of something that was never mentioned?

Still waiting.
Please just let the rest of us get on with enjoying our day.....
Old 03 March 2002, 01:27 PM
Alberick
Scooby Regular

So start with banning Mr. R19KET, who said a 100 percent racist comment like "Some friends of mine are working and living in Luxembourg and his assessment of the locals are correct".

It is quite easy to understand what he wants to say with that. This IS a racist comment.
If this guy is not banned from the board NOW, then I have to believe that you actually support racism!
Old 03 March 2002, 01:51 PM
EvilBevel
Scooby Regular

Angry

Alberick... may I STRONGLY suggest you immediately apologize towards Mark ?

I don't care where you live, but I DO know that Luxemburg has some very fine schools, and may I suggest trying to learn to READ.

You sir are a disgrace to Luxemburg.

Apologies to Mark NOW !

Theo

[Edited by EvilBevel - 3/3/2002 1:53:20 PM]
Old 03 March 2002, 02:25 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

Hmm -- once you start taking a moral stance surely you should apply it to everything? I've also noticed a lot of homophobic comments on here, lately.
Old 03 March 2002, 03:26 PM
R19KET
Scooby Regular

Location: SSO2003 2nd, SSO2005 1st, SSO2006 2nd, TACC Rd4 5th 4wd: In my car ;-)
Theo,

Thanks, but I've been called worse, by better people.

This is a good example of a "blinkered" attitude. No interest in any other opinions, other than there own.....to the point where they don't even bother to read the posts correctly.

Anyway, where is Luxemberg, or even Belgium

Mark.
Old 03 March 2002, 03:51 PM
CraigH
Scooby Regular

Chips. Chips, chips anyone?

I agree totally that racism of any form should lead to the poster being banned.

However, how do you propose to draw the line of what is and what isn't - a couple of people on here are quite obviously so insecure or suffering from some sort of complexes that they misinterpret comments or turn them around to try and make it seem racist.

That is ridiculous (not the racism)

Who will moderate this?

Old 03 March 2002, 03:54 PM
CraigH
Scooby Regular

And before anyone says anything, the Chips comment is not aimed at people claiming racism. It should be obvious. Incase that is turned around as well
Old 03 March 2002, 04:01 PM
scooby555
Scooby Regular

Wink

Chips chips.....hmmm......spuds spuds.....hmmm.....Potatoes !

To be sure
To be sure

Whoops
[Flame suit on]
Old 03 March 2002, 04:02 PM
Scott J Davies
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Aliases as well are ****, now please now stupid comments but are 370 beast and Alberick not the same person?? As it appears where ever one is so is the other defending the other.

Apologies for the SP
Old 03 March 2002, 04:06 PM
Spudgun GTR
Scooby Regular

oi! scooby555, who you calling a potato?[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 03 March 2002, 04:21 PM
Shark
Scooby Regular

Totally agree that all forms of racism are wrong. However there needs to be common sense form everyone. My college’s daughter was suspended from school for saying she couldn't see the blackboard. WTF is that all about? Should Bush rename the White House? Should we ban all the Englishman, Irishman and a Scotsman jokes ?

David
Old 03 March 2002, 04:41 PM
Luke
BANNED

Rasicm-Racists...... The 2 things I hate after "Kiddy fiddlers".

But i believe that in my time here.If some one was to make a SERIOUS remark ,we the members would be the first to comment. Humour can be accepted by 98% of all of us. But if it is rude I think many would stand up and be counted with their replies.

Like ADAM.M I live very close to the heart of a large Jewish community and have many Jewish clients,most of them stark raving mad in their Humour!!! They enjoy taking the mick out of themselves so much!! Its great. But No way could i listen to someone being RUDE about them or others.I have a muslim wife and would hate her to be on the end of a racist remark.

I am sure us members will "shootdown" any remarks in style!!
Old 03 March 2002, 05:32 PM
Alberick
Scooby Regular

EVIL,

Oh yeah I apologise to Mark for telling me about his friends assessment about Luxembourg.
Guys tell me WHAT ABOUT and WHY should I apologise to him?
Sorry I don't get it..........I don't even know this guy!!

Mr. R19KET, Luxembourg is a small country between France, Germany and Belgium, but as Evil says, thank for this fine sample of YOUR fine education.
EVIL, as for my reading skills, luxembourgish, german, english, french and japanese should be ever enough to ignore your ignorant comments.
I'm a disgrace to Luxembourg, no please come on, stop it, in what matter am I a disgrace because I buy Japanese products instead of luxembourgish or what?
Seriously, nice try, but stay on earth before typing you start your nonsense.

As you said, blinkered opinions, wanna be experts, but only know what's going on around them.
Mark, I guess by answering to others in this way, saying that I am ingorant etc makes you feel better, lack of guts to directly address me huh??
So Mark, quit your superior attitude and, in that matter, and if you want to know where the real tuners are, even British Airways flies to Japan quite often.

But .....no you don't even know where Belgium is, so forget it.......

Errr, I hope I read your posts correctly this time???
Old 03 March 2002, 05:36 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Not seen any racist comments on here myself - maybe I have read them and dont consider them racist?? I am rather thick skinned!!

As for homophobic comments - does, "I would like Gold Wheels Sweetie" constitute a homophobic comment?? some would say yes, others no. Hence is the difficulty!

Simon, as he owns the BBS, has the last word and I would suppose that it would be his idea of acceptable behaviour that would prevail. Thats fine with me - we are playing with HIS football, if he doesnt like what you say or do he can take his ball home, together with the Astroturf, Goalposts AND Scoobynet Strip!!

I am confused as to how you can ban someone from a BBS?? I am no computer nerd - but is there a way of locking out an IP address?? doesnt it change?? so someone could just log on as someone else?? we all know that some members have numerous 'Handles'!!

Just my 2p's worth!!

Pete
Old 03 March 2002, 05:43 PM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

Pete, with most good Forum software, you can see what IP addresses users have posted from and ban them. So for abusers posting from Fixed IP's constantly, it is relatively easy to ban them. It is pretty unlikely that they will go to the trouble of purchasing another(if a home user with 1 fixed IP) IP. Unfortunatly, abusers using standard Dialup get dynamic IP's 99% of the time, making that pretty well a non-starter.
So yes basically, it is available as an option, along with the user banning by name.

Cheers,

Nick

Quick Reply: Racist Comments on ScoobyNet