Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Fully Decatted Exhaust Systems

Search this Thread

Old 03 March 2002, 07:34 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok loads of peeps go for the full scoobysport decat exhaust system. Do you tell your insurance cpy that youve removed the cats as surely this is against the law if you get caught and therefore not something that insurance companies are going to want to let you do? Or do you just tell them you changed the exhaust and forget to mention losing the cats?

Im just curious as it seems everyone gets these exhaust systems so is there a loophole you all exploit or is it just accepted by all the relevant authorities or have I got it all wrong and there is nothing illegal in doing this?

Simon
Old 03 March 2002, 07:57 AM
Houlbt
Scooby Regular

Me again... just specify you have changed the exhaust for a 'Full xxxx System'

Can't argue with that can they???? (probably) but that's what I said anyway. That way you don't have to explain down pipes etc etc to them as well.

H.
Old 03 March 2002, 08:01 AM
Houlbt
Scooby Regular

Sorry...probably didn't answer the question quite how you wanted there. The road legality (failing of emissions test) as a reason to there by refuse your insurance claim..... sounds like dodgy ground to me, never heard of that happening but I am sure you'll get a more authoratitive answer when some of the wiser old birds crawl out of bed.

night

H.
Old 03 March 2002, 09:40 AM
stephen emery
Scooby Regular

just a little point.
keep hearing the ss exhaust system introduces big flat spots.
plus can cause sensor failer and hence turbo is basically shut down. (ie when boost comes on engine is shut down.
Want to see this for myself so
Got wrx with ppp, intend to pop down to scooby sport and have a word and poss drive a motor with a full decat?

as far as legeslation is concerned i would be a little worring on future possible introduction of road side checks.
steve
ps. i believe prodrive may have somthing in the pipe line

pps Not that happy with ppp at the moment as full scooby decat seem to be getting better RR figs and a fair bit cheeper

Old 03 March 2002, 05:34 PM
Rob Mo
Scooby Regular

ss downpipe & mid sction being fitted this friday to join the existing ss backbox.

phoned insurance co, and they were more concerned with my new 18" boots. told them that I am having a 'full scooby sport exhaust system' which they charged me £30.00 for 6 months for, and then told me £85.00 for the wheels, I told them to forget the whels then, which of course they would not!.

I've got 18 months till my first MOT (MY00 wagon), and have heard about the new roadside checks, but initially I heard (not sure how true) that they were only initially going to be instigated inner city ( I believe that meant inside M25), well here's fingers crossed.

ne way.....

rob
Old 03 March 2002, 06:31 PM
catflap
Scooby Regular

section 5.5.1 of the police emiisions guideliune
states that if you consider it to damage to your car you may defer and have a test withing 21 day at somewhere else. You have to produce a valid mot cert.

io spotted thison scoobynet a few days ago
Old 03 March 2002, 08:21 PM
Dan H
Scooby Newbie

I am new on here so go easy on me please.
I work for a main dealer ( chrysler jeep) who have been using OBD2 in america for some time now. In Eurpoe and the UK this will be called EOBD2( electronic on board diagnostics version 2)EOBD2 is basically a programe in the vehicles ecu that allows the police to interface with our ecu's to tell if there are any dtc's (diagnostic trouble codes) relating to emmission control stored in the ecu . at the present time the police do not have the equipment to access every make of vehicle so they cannot bring this into force yet. Any how as far as i can tell the ss cat replacement exhaust has a device to trick the down stream o2 sensor into thinking that the cat is still there, therefore not illuminating the CEL or setting a dtc, so the police would not find anything any way. The only way yhey could find anything is if they sent you to an MOT station to have a cat test carried out by which time you would have the origonal exhaust refitted to avoid prosecution.
on another point i pick up my new wrx wagon in T- 15 days and i cant wait
Old 03 March 2002, 08:57 PM
BugEyed
Scooby Regular

Smile

As above, tell your insurance company the truth, and make sure you get it in writing - "we acknowledge your car has been fitted with a xxx exhaust". Passing (or failing) an MOT is irrelevant except at that time - perhaps your car "deteriorated" since its last test.

Duncan