Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mud Flaps - Do i really need to drill?

Search this Thread

Old 14 May 2009, 11:40 AM
wrxwill05
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mud Flaps - Do i really need to drill?

Hey guys,

I've just got my performance creations v2 mud flaps for my 05 wrx! I fitted them quickly last night but didnt bother drilling the bracket to the arch!

Im very very reluctant to start drilling thru my arch because of rust issues ect ect... do i really need to secure the bracket to the arch? If i cleaned it down and glued it on would that work? Can i modify the bracket somehow?

Many thanks guys!

Cheers
Will
Old 14 May 2009, 11:43 AM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes you do, you have a choice of treating the hole or not, or going for some of these.

Mini Mud Flaps Splash Guards Subaru Impreza Black x 4 on eBay, also, Subaru, Car Parts, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 31-May-09 13:24:01 BST)
Old 14 May 2009, 11:49 AM
wrxwill05
Scooby Regular

oh damn - i've just spent £60 on the performance creations ones!

What do you suggest? if i propperly treat the hole it should rust should it? just blob tons of wax oil over it?
Old 14 May 2009, 12:03 PM
ginger321
Scooby Regular

Be carefull when your reversing or manouvering (spelling) near kerbs etc as i have had mine on my 98 wagon since february and bumped gently against a low kerb at a walking pace and off came the rear nearside flap and dislodged the bumper - and the fixings for the bumper were not rusty!!! Maybe a less permanent option might be safer or maybe I should be better at 3 point turns!!! just one to bare in mind.
Old 14 May 2009, 12:05 PM
wrxwill05
Scooby Regular

mmmmm im in 2 mind to keep them on or not now!!! i thought they look quiet good on the car, black with white WRX logo at the bottom, look nice on my wr blue car...
Old 14 May 2009, 12:16 PM
ginger321
Scooby Regular

Mine is a silver wagon and the flaps are black with the silver subaru swoosh thing they do look good and give the car a more aggressive look. The also keep the sides of the car alot cleaner. Just watch those kerbs an you'll be fine.
Old 14 May 2009, 12:24 PM
scooby-tc
Scooby Regular

Ive got Performance creation mudflaps on my 05 spec c and the only place i had to drill was where the bracket bends round away from the wheel if you see what i mean (bad description i know) the end of the bracket nearest the wheel actually clips into the rear bumper using plastic fastners that come with the flaps they are a push fit type (this is for the rears) the fronts just required the push in fixings no drilling into the wheel arch at all,the only place that needs drilling on the fronts,again is where the bracket bends round to mould to the shape of the car.The instructions that come with them will explain it better than me

Last edited by scooby-tc; 14 May 2009 at 12:27 PM.
Old 14 May 2009, 12:35 PM
wrxwill05
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scooby-tc
Ive got Performance creation mudflaps on my 05 spec c and the only place i had to drill was where the bracket bends round away from the wheel if you see what i mean (bad description i know) the end of the bracket nearest the wheel actually clips into the rear bumper using plastic fastners that come with the flaps they are a push fit type (this is for the rears) the fronts just required the push in fixings no drilling into the wheel arch at all,the only place that needs drilling on the fronts,again is where the bracket bends round to mould to the shape of the car.The instructions that come with them will explain it better than me
Hi mate,

yeh ive done all that, built the flaps up, but at the moment theyre only push fited with the black studs.... i havent had the guts to start putting the self tappers in yet! ive bent the bracket about 45 degrees so it sits flush with the inner arch. im guessing the arch is metal and will need treating then? what product did u use? did you put a rubber washer under the screw to give a better seal?

Cheers mate!
Old 14 May 2009, 12:38 PM
scooby-tc
Scooby Regular

no i just drilled it and self tappered it as theres enough crap on it to keep rust at bay
Old 14 May 2009, 12:44 PM
wrxwill05
Scooby Regular

no i just drilled it and self tappered it as theres enough crap on it to keep rust at bay
ahhh ill prolly give it a dolop of waxoil just to be on the safe side, but having said that when i pressure wash the car it will probably come off anyway, so a rubber seal has got me thinking its not such a bad idea after all - what u recon?
Old 14 May 2009, 12:46 PM
ZEN Performance
Former Sponsor

If you reverse up a kerb at all, you will sandwich the mudflap between the tyre and the kerb, and then the tyre will rip off the mudflap!

Originally Posted by ginger321
Be carefull when your reversing or manouvering (spelling) near kerbs etc as i have had mine on my 98 wagon since february and bumped gently against a low kerb at a walking pace and off came the rear nearside flap and dislodged the bumper - and the fixings for the bumper were not rusty!!! Maybe a less permanent option might be safer or maybe I should be better at 3 point turns!!! just one to bare in mind.
Old 14 May 2009, 12:49 PM
wrxwill05
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ZEN Performance
If you reverse up a kerb at all, you will sandwich the mudflap between the tyre and the kerb, and then the tyre will rip off the mudflap!
Ahhh ill have to bare that in mind! i dont plan on knocking it against curbs hehe, but mistakes can happen!
Old 14 May 2009, 12:49 PM
scooby-tc
Scooby Regular

up to you but i found that the self tapper pulled the bracket in so tight to the inner arch that it sort of formed a tight seal on its own but by almeans try a rubber seal if you want.Only problem might be that the bracket wont sit flush to the inner arch because of the small gap provided by the seal but see how it goes.I'm changing mine soon for some Carbon flaps so i might do a similar thing
Old 14 May 2009, 12:50 PM
lunar tick
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Been there, done that
Old 14 May 2009, 12:52 PM
scooby-tc
Scooby Regular

me too
Old 14 May 2009, 12:53 PM
wrxwill05
Scooby Regular

up to you but i found that the self tapper pulled the bracket in so tight to the inner arch that it sort of formed a tight seal on its own but by almeans try a rubber seal if you want.Only problem might be that the bracket wont sit flush to the inner arch because of the small gap provided by the seal but see how it goes.I'm changing mine soon for some Carbon flaps so i might do a similar thing
if you like mate ill take a pic of it 2nite once its done? im gonna pop to B&Q after work and get a small seal pack, if it looks cack ill take um off, i just dont want any rust forming on the arch

here is a crazy thought tho..... what about glue? just put a dollop of strong addesive on the back of the plate and glue it to the arch??
Old 14 May 2009, 12:54 PM
scooby-tc
Scooby Regular

all well and good if you plan never to remove them
Old 14 May 2009, 12:56 PM
wrxwill05
Scooby Regular

all well and good if you plan never to remove them
lol that is a good point i suppose lol! nah, ill just use the self tapper with a rubber seal to get a nice water tight fit (might even put some wax oil around the screw thread as well!)

at least if i take um off, i can just stick a dollop of paint in the screw hole it leaves!

ill let u know how i get on! lol
Old 14 May 2009, 01:03 PM
DazW
Scooby Regular

Use plastic fixings/bolts & dont fit stupidly low ...there's been a fair few peeps on here who've managed to kn4cker bumpers & arches
Old 14 May 2009, 01:23 PM
kgt
Scooby Regular

for what its worth, I drilled the self tappers in good and tight. Been on for over a year now, and I check them every week when I wash the car. I didnt apply anything to them and there is no obvious sign of any corrosion so far.
Old 14 May 2009, 01:44 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Likewise.

Mine ar performance creations an i had the same doubts....

The rear ones i fixed with filler essentially,no issues, but it isn't strong enough for the front ones so bit the bullet and drilled.

Did it all over with Waxoil and not seen any problems.

Also, never come close to ripping them off in two years. Firstly because i stay w=away from curbs and secondly because they have a higher and lower (or mine did) fixing on the bracket. Mine are in the higher position adding an inch of clearance which seems to work fine.

5t.
Old 14 May 2009, 02:13 PM
wrxwill05
Scooby Regular

Cheers for comments guys - feel a bir more possitive! they were an inpulse buy after seeing some at Rising Sun last week LOL
Old 14 May 2009, 02:42 PM
Geoteds2002
Scooby Regular

For what its worth I also have these flaps.

I never bothered drilling the inner arch and putting a self tapper in as I had the same reservations as you.

I cut the bracket as far as I could before it hits the inner arch and screwed the mudflap into the plastic inner arch lining with a self tapper as far along the bracket as i could - hence the flap is still rigid and safe and the inner plastic arch liner is still water tight.

Hope that makes sense. Mines an 05 wrx by the way
Old 14 May 2009, 02:45 PM
wrxwill05
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Geoteds2002
For what its worth I also have these flaps.

I never bothered drilling the inner arch and putting a self tapper in as I had the same reservations as you.

I cut the bracket as far as I could before it hits the inner arch and screwed the mudflap into the plastic inner arch lining with a self tapper as far along the bracket as i could - hence the flap is still rigid and safe and the inner plastic arch liner is still water tight.

Hope that makes sense. Mines an 05 wrx by the way
Hi mate

thats actually a really really good idea! no need to start cutting into metal then! and its alot easier to remove ect.... i might actually do that little mod, ill have to get a small haxsaw as ive already "clipped" them onto the body work...

thanks for the heads up mate!!!
Old 14 May 2009, 04:18 PM
ginger321
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ZEN Performance
Yeah yeah rub it in why dont you!!

ive done it twice now thinking
Old 14 May 2009, 04:30 PM
donniep
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs up

Hey,

I bought the performance creations flaps as well & wasn't sure how to fit them at first so I emailed them for help. Didn't like the idea of drilling but thought what the hell. Drilled holes in all 4 arches, sprayed some primer on them then some waxoyl. Put the bolts in the rear arches & the plastic plugs in the front. Only thing is the rear flaps don't sit straight, they curve slightly due to the bracket. They look good though. I went for red flaps with the white swoosh for my red 97 wagon with white alloys.
Old 14 May 2009, 04:49 PM
Arab1
Scooby Regular

I just went for it and drilled mine mate, as has been said bracket sat pretty flush so not really worried about it.
Old 14 May 2009, 04:53 PM
wrxwill05
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Arab1
I just went for it and drilled mine mate, as has been said bracket sat pretty flush so not really worried about it.
Yeh i think im gonna do same same - but as other users have mentioned i just treat the immediate area as well - it cant do any harm!

ill let you know i get on
Old 14 May 2009, 05:10 PM
Flaps
Scooby Regular

I went for the Mudban ones on mine originally because I didn't fancy drilling either and you didn't have to with them. After about 12 months they ended up twisting somehow and the rears were off at an angle, they looked crap so I took them off. If I put some back on i'd drill them.

Quick Reply: Mud Flaps - Do i really need to drill?