bhp advice...

Search this Thread

Old 11 May 2009, 12:30 AM
scoobmj
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bhp advice...

currently my 99 UK is running at about 280 BHP

what could i do to get me up to about 300/310?

currently got......

K&N induction
Uprated f/pump
mid decap
100 cell down pipe
sports rear box
JGM Remap

if possible, please give as much detail as possible ie costs etc.

Thanks
Old 11 May 2009, 12:44 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

IMHO that power is adequate and chasing just another 20bhp is hardly gonna be noticeable. I always recommend improving the handling to make the available power more useable to ultimately make the car significantly faster. Won't give you any bigger numbers to brag with, but will not only be quicker, but safer too (probably). I'd stick a set of BC coilovers, front and rear Whiteline ARB's, and get a killer geo set-up. Less than £1k all in maybe.
Old 11 May 2009, 09:52 AM
chris-boris
Scooby Regular

if you have a td04 turbo then you are about at its limit. so to get more you would need to replace the turbo with either a td05 16g or something like a vf22 or vf28 etc

at this point you would probably need to change injectors as well from the standard 380cc ones you have. 440cc should do.

it all depends on your desired outcome but swapping the turbo and injectors would seem a bit o.t.t if your end result is only going to be 300ish bhp.

i would be considering either modifying the handling as mentioned above or selling the car and buying a better car.

i was recently in the same situation as you and chose to sell my 98 uk turbo and bought a 99 type r and im so pleased with it i would definitely advise looking into this option
Old 11 May 2009, 10:08 AM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chris-boris
if you have a td04 turbo then you are about at its limit. so to get more you would need to replace the turbo with either a td05 16g or something like a vf22 or vf28 etc

at this point you would probably need to change injectors as well from the standard 380cc ones you have. 440cc should do.
He should already has 440s (if it definately is a 99 car)
Old 11 May 2009, 10:09 AM
Peanuts
Scooby Regular

spend the money on driver training lessons, worth at least 50 bhp more!
Next stop, bigger brakes front and rear, worth another 25bhp more!
Old 11 May 2009, 05:06 PM
scoobmj
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Peanuts
spend the money on driver training lessons, worth at least 50 bhp more!
Next stop, bigger brakes front and rear, worth another 25bhp more!
ha ha! what if i buy some fluffy dice? whats the BHP on those?
Old 11 May 2009, 05:08 PM
scoobmj
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by myblackwrx
He should already has 440s (if it definately is a 99 car)

how can i tell?
Old 11 May 2009, 05:21 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 99blue
ha ha! what if i buy some fluffy dice? whats the BHP on those?
You may mock, but after a days tuition with a professional driver my turn-in speed increased by as much as 40mph, carrying massively more speed through the apex and also improving my hazard awareness and planning, keeping it safer at the much higher speeds I was now capable of. It would cost many thousands to get the bhp needed to gain such performance results, and simply increasing power would reduce safety too. Chassis, suspension, brakes and driver need to be up to the job before power can reveal its true potential. I've had guys with 400+ disappear from my rear view mirror aghast at how a 260bhp car could leave them for dead. Idiots chase numbers to brag with, clever people spend much less money to achieve better results. Proven, time and time again.
Old 11 May 2009, 05:25 PM
AlanPPP
Scooby Regular

Hi mate,

My old 96WRX was running 320 with a TD05 with the same mods as you but with an FMIC and it was running 270 before...there was a MASSIVE difference so even the likes of 20 bhp is noticable.

Bearing in mind even if you go for a Hybrid TD04 (i'd go for) or just a TD05 you will hit it's limits at about 315.I'd say the brake upgrade on my MY00 UK now is even more beneficial than any horsepower gain as the standard brakes on scoobys are/.....lets face it...crap

I'd just spend the cash on making it stop and handle better as with a JGM remap @ 280 it's more than enough for the roads..when i was boosting hard with 320 it was very quick..almost too quick at times and i was wiping the floor with Focus ST's..Astra VXR's etc etc so 280 is more than enough beat pretty much any hot hatch comfortably..if that's your thing.

Last edited by AlanPPP; 11 May 2009 at 05:28 PM.
Old 11 May 2009, 05:27 PM
AlanPPP
Scooby Regular

Sound advise there corrado boy....

Just wanted to add if your suspension is standard eyc all your bushes...struts etc will be tired out and well in need of replacing/upgrading.This coupled with a laser set up will feel 1000000x better on the roads..oh and proper tyres of course
Old 11 May 2009, 05:32 PM
scoobmj
Scooby Regular

ok ok, i get it!

your advise is pretty sound.

as far as brakes go mine seem up to the job at the moment (4 pots)

anyone recommend anywhere for training? how long are the courses?
Old 11 May 2009, 06:16 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

how can i tell?
They are yellow
Old 11 May 2009, 06:30 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Do you know any coppers ? A friendly local one taught me the first parts of Roadcraft and pursuit driving in his spare time. I can't underestimate how much faster their techniques can make you ! The teachings of the IAM is based on similar principles, although they focus more on safety than speed.
Old 11 May 2009, 08:58 PM
scoobmj
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by corradoboy
Do you know any coppers ? A friendly local one taught me the first parts of Roadcraft and pursuit driving in his spare time. I can't underestimate how much faster their techniques can make you ! The teachings of the IAM is based on similar principles, although they focus more on safety than speed.

i know a few coppers, but none are pursuit trained
Old 11 May 2009, 10:30 PM
AlanPPP
Scooby Regular

After watching them on Traffic Cops..Road Wars etc etc there driving it ****! Even in the scoobys! They crash so many times a year it's untrue..and we pay for it.Look in the back of EVO magazine mate there's a few there.
Old 12 May 2009, 10:14 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

A bit of a generalisation there Alan, but I do agree that some of the drivers shown on TV are maybe picked for the shows for their 'on-camera' presence rather than their proper abilities. The guy whom taught me was probably the best road car driver I've seen. I've also had tuition from professional rally drivers and am currently investigating race/track tuition.

99blue, you might not know any pursuit guys, but the guys you know may well do. As about and see if any of them know anyone up for a bit of extra-curricular
Old 12 May 2009, 10:27 AM
g7prs
Scooby Regular

My mate is good friends with Andy Walsh of Carlimits. He raced with him in the Lotus on Track series and has had quite a few lessons from him on car control. After being in the car with him at various trackdays all i can say is that it is money well spent. The amount of more powerful cars that he passes on track days is ridiculous. The extra speed that he carries through corners is incredible.
Old 12 May 2009, 10:55 AM
Peanuts
Scooby Regular

don't get lulled into thinking your 4 pots are ok, at the very least they need braided hoses, uprated pads and a quality grooved (not drilled!) disc.
plus a splash of DOT5.1 fluid will go along way.
Old 12 May 2009, 11:46 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Of course, there is another way of thinking with brakes. I ran the OE 4 pots on my WRX with braided lines, DOT5.1 and a variety of pads. After learning Roadcraft driving my pads lasted me +30k miles instead of the 6-10k I was used to, even though my road speeds were significantly higher. This made me realise that once again, spunking money on performance bling isn't always the way to go fast. My driving had evolved to a point where I could approach bends at 3 figure speeds and not brake at all. In fact, I see it now as a challenge for myself when out on a pleasure drive to see just how much I can avoid any brake use whatsoever. By not using them, should you need to in an emergency you can be sure that they are not roasting hot with boiled, oxygenated fluid and ready to fail. On my current car I'm at 30k miles on the OE pads too, although because it is used as a driving school car also they have had some abuse and are ready for some TLC.
Old 12 May 2009, 05:47 PM
scoobmj
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Peanuts
don't get lulled into thinking your 4 pots are ok, at the very least they need braided hoses, uprated pads and a quality grooved (not drilled!) disc.
plus a splash of DOT5.1 fluid will go along way.
already using 5.1,

whats the recommended pads and disc brands then?, bare in mind i have white wheels so low brake dust production would be a bonus
Old 12 May 2009, 06:34 PM
AlanPPP
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by corradoboy
A bit of a generalisation there Alan, but I do agree that some of the drivers shown on TV are maybe picked for the shows for their 'on-camera' presence rather than their proper abilities. The guy whom taught me was probably the best road car driver I've seen. I've also had tuition from professional rally drivers and am currently investigating race/track tuition.

99blue, you might not know any pursuit guys, but the guys you know may well do. As about and see if any of them know anyone up for a bit of extra-curricular
lol yeah i suppose so mate
Old 13 May 2009, 07:12 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

already using 5.1,

whats the recommended pads and disc brands then?, bare in mind i have white wheels so low brake dust production would be a bonus

DBA discs with Ferodo DS 2500 here. Mated with the DOT 5.1 and braided hoses, they provide awesome fade free stopping power. I was in a similar position to yourself back in Feb. Did brakes first and they made a huge difference. The standard set up was borderline for a PPP car.

Last edited by s70rjw; 13 May 2009 at 07:13 PM.
Old 13 May 2009, 08:26 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

lol

Maybe the guy wants a bit more straight line squirt (safely) for a grin rather than becoming a IAM member and having to make 'progress' lol

I'd be going for a VF series turbo and another remap and enjoy it.

My type r with the 2.5 conversion and 20g I've added is clearly way above my station as I havn't had full pursuit training but it represents great fun and I'm not stupid or 18, I'm a sensible upstanding member of the community but I do enjoy flexing the poke now and then (in the right situation)
Old 13 May 2009, 09:40 PM
wrx fifer
Scooby Regular

Default help please

ok i know this is not really related i had a few scoobies but never worked on them and am trying to do alot myself any advice is welcome i have 2003 wrx engine conversion in a 2001 classic sport its 270bhp at dastek but trying to get over 300 im fitting fmic with t piece for vta valve so i got turbosmart fine and new silicone inlet/induction hose do i just bung where the hose went to the recirc on tmic before? as theres no where for this now? im just unsure after i got this on its going to dastek next week for bigger injectors,7b plugs and a vf35 turbo then its booked in to andy forrest on 5th for re-map just dont want to make an **** of it masel lol and yes i have to now as its on axle stands outside ma hoose completely dimantled before you all say dont bother lol any guidance would be appreciated im new on here and unsure where to write and how to get in to bits lol cheers grant
Old 13 May 2009, 09:47 PM
StiX
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

currently my 99 UK is running at about 280 BHP

what could i do to get me up to about 300/310?

currently got......

K&N induction
Uprated f/pump
mid decap
100 cell down pipe
sports rear box
JGM Remap

if possible, please give as much detail as possible ie costs etc.

Thanks
Ok I also get the driving better bit but as my car & set-up is quite similar to the OPs heres my twopenneth.

My car is currently running 273/273 with the following:

TD04
Ninja Sports Cat 100cell d/pipe
Magnex centre resonated decat
Magnex oval backbox
3 port boost solenoid
JR panel filter.

After nearly selling my car and buying a more expensive modded classic I decided to keep it and spend more cash to get over 300bhp - Stage 2 I suppose you could call it.

So:

Walbro 255 - £75 (but you already have one of these)
VF35 - £300
STi intercooler piping - £20 (not essential but apparently standard plastic y-piece piping very restrictive)
Remap - £280 (as licence already bought via my original Powerstation remap 3 years ago).

I am having the turbo swapped tomorrow and remap by Bob Rawle on Sunday so I'll let you know how it goes.

However by all accounts I am expecting 310-320 and similar torque.

So OP - all you need really is a bigger turbo and a remap £550-600ish