Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Apexi power FC or pay the extra for Simtek??

Search this Thread

Old 06 May 2009, 10:33 PM
andy_s37
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Apexi power FC or pay the extra for Simtek??

As above. I'm having a FMIC and de-cat system fitted to my STI V4 and cannot get the standard ECU remapped so its time for a change. I'm throwing a bit of money at the car so whats the best to go for? I'm not planning on doing the whole forged engine thing (for a good while anyway) as saving for a house is more important. Maybe just a bigger turbo and injectors. As far as I can see the benefits of the Simtek are the launch control, anti-lag and MAFless running. Reliability is important so I wouldn't be going for the ALS/LC so does running MAFless warrant the extra cost? From speaking to the guy who mapped my last scoob the price difference would be about £300 as he can get hold of 2nd hand apexi's.

Sorry if this is a bit rambly its been a long day.

cheers
Andy.
Old 07 May 2009, 08:01 AM
Phil555
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Apexi info.

AndyForrestPerformance

Simtek info.

AndyForrestPerformance
Old 07 May 2009, 08:15 AM
scooby-tc
Scooby Regular

I wouldnt bother with simtek after all the problems ive heard about them,go for the Apexi if you are on a budget
Old 07 May 2009, 09:04 AM
rossi_p
Scooby Regular

I run an Adaptronics E420C on my 450/450 V4.

Adaptronic Engine Management ECU Standalone Fuel Injection

It is MAFless and considerably less than a Simtek.

I've talked to a couple of well known mappers about whether I should change to the normal suggested Impreza ECU's. In their opinion, it isn't worth it as does everything it needs to very well.

Just thought I'd put it out there as an option.
Old 07 May 2009, 09:25 AM
Peanuts
Scooby Regular

apexi powerFC all day long.

MAFless is more valid on my99 onwards cars as the maf is weaker, on your year the mafs are strong.

I have Simtek on a my95 simply because I got a cracking deal and had issues with ESL board and powerFC due to the nature of my car being a real mish mash and a track toy otherwise I would have stayed with the powerFC everytime.
Old 07 May 2009, 03:16 PM
andy_s37
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the input guys. I'm waiting on a call from my mapper regarding the options. The cheap apexi option has gone out the window unless I'm willing to wait a few weeks which I cant do so will keep you posted.

Andy.
Old 07 May 2009, 03:23 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by rossi_p
I run an Adaptronics E420C on my 450/450 V4.

Adaptronic Engine Management ECU Standalone Fuel Injection

It is MAFless and considerably less than a Simtek.

I've talked to a couple of well known mappers about whether I should change to the normal suggested Impreza ECU's. In their opinion, it isn't worth it as does everything it needs to very well.

Just thought I'd put it out there as an option.
How did you end up with that? Seems a good price as a means of disposing of the MAF.

Who out there maps this ECU?
Old 07 May 2009, 03:36 PM
Peanuts
Scooby Regular

Jolly Green Monster
Zen
and others
Old 07 May 2009, 05:19 PM
Mocom Racing
Former Sponsor

Default Adaptronics mapping

Originally Posted by EddScott
Who out there maps this ECU?
I mapped Ross' Adaptronics in it's current guise
Old 07 May 2009, 05:26 PM
TingTongPJ
Scooby Regular

i've just moved from a apexi to a simtek because i wanted mafless,anti lag and launch control and a 2 bar map sensor.

if your not planning on going mad with the car i would reccomend an apexi, if you get the hand commander you don't need to worry about gauges and can use the 4 set boost points.

if your worried about your maf talk with your mapper you could always go for a z32 maf or something similar. ( i have a spare z32 maf if you need one).

whichever route you go you'll be impressed after a remap if you've been running a standard car. have fun !
Old 07 May 2009, 05:48 PM
Peanuts
Scooby Regular

too many people have anti lag and LC as it is, yet a tiny tiny percentage need it or even know what it really does, imho of course
Old 07 May 2009, 05:54 PM
New_scooby_04

Didn't need anti lag or launch control, went for Simtek after running an Ecutek'd ECU

Well impressed!

More info on Simtek here

BRDevelopments
Old 07 May 2009, 05:54 PM
rossi_p
Scooby Regular

The Adaptronics was fitted by the previous owner (Scoobyslammed) when the engine was built (forged EJ22t cdb).

It was fitted with a GEMS but the first mapper didn't like the adjustability of the GEMS and suggested the Adaptronics.

The project thread for the build is here...

https://www.scoobynet.com/projects-4...diy-style.html

The details on the Adaptronics is on page 8 I think.

Chris (Scoobyslammed) built the engine and I have taken the project on with PPG, KW V3's etc and still spending . Need to update my garage with spec list as it is longer than my arm.

As far as mapping in concerned. Anyone can do it.. You can download the software yourself and plug your laptop in. It has trace mapping and all usual features of a quality ECU so you can take to any mapper who will be able to map it for you.

As most things like this though, we all go for familiarity of what others are using. The only thing I would change it for is a Solaris....
Old 07 May 2009, 09:01 PM
webby v7 slipperwagon
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by scooby-tc
I wouldnt bother with simtek after all the problems ive heard about them,go for the Apexi if you are on a budget
What problems have you heard, id be interested to know.
Old 07 May 2009, 11:05 PM
andy_s37
Scooby Regular

I've decided to go for the Simtek. As I said above I cant afford to have my car off the road while I wait for a cheap Apexi to become available. I wont be having the LC/AL activated on the ECU but it will always be there to activate (at a cost of course) at a later date. I really haven't had the car that long at all and I'm seeing the issues that I have had as an opportunity rather than as problems. I dont know where my modding journey will take me on the scoob but will have the option to go wild at a later date should time and money comply.

Cheers for the input

Andy.
Old 08 May 2009, 12:17 AM
Nemesis_911
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andy_s37
I've decided to go for the Simtek. As I said above I cant afford to have my car off the road while I wait for a cheap Apexi to become available. I wont be having the LC/AL activated on the ECU but it will always be there to activate (at a cost of course) at a later date. I really haven't had the car that long at all and I'm seeing the issues that I have had as an opportunity rather than as problems. I dont know where my modding journey will take me on the scoob but will have the option to go wild at a later date should time and money comply.

Cheers for the input

Andy.
Andy I'm looking for an APEXi also.... Please PM me and let's see if we can work something out if a cheap one becomes available.

Thanks!

And good luck with the car man...
Old 08 May 2009, 10:12 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Peanuts
too many people have anti lag and LC as it is, yet a tiny tiny percentage need it or even know what it really does, imho of course
Is it not the case that the simtek ALS isn't actually true ALS?

Can the Adaptronics have ALS?

I don't need it but I'd like it just for the effect granted a waste of money but then spending on cars usually is.
Old 08 May 2009, 06:18 PM
rossi_p
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by EddScott
Can the Adaptronics have ALS?
I don't think so.

I believe it has the LC option though, along with switchable maps so you can run one for say 99RON pump fuel and another for race fuel.
Old 08 May 2009, 08:59 PM
bnmotors
Scooby Regular

does the same advice apply to newage. im thinking of a simtek but have a 2002 sti. any advice? seems like the classics owners run different setups than newage boys.?
Old 14 May 2009, 01:32 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is a little unjust.. assuming you are talking about Jay and Mark's cars?

Both ecu's were sent back to SimTek for a software upgrade and are now spot on.
Goodness knows how many hundreds of them are now out there and support is second to none etc.
It is so good having the suppliers in the uk and to have support like that to hand..
Other ecu's do have issues from time to time and you have to pay for it to be fixed or cannot get it fixed rather than free quick turn around etc.

Simon
Old 14 May 2009, 07:56 AM
MartynJ
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner Plymouth for 4wd RR Mapping Apexi Ecutek Alcatek Proper Garage More than just a laptop!
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jolly Green Monster

Both ecu's were sent back to SimTek for a software upgrade and are now spot on.
Goodness knows how many hundreds of them are now out there and support is second to none etc.
It is so good having the suppliers in the uk and to have support like that to hand..
Other ecu's do have issues from time to time and you have to pay for it to be fixed or cannot get it fixed rather than free quick turn around etc.

Simon

Well said Simon, and something I completely agree on.
I don't know of another ecu manufacturer who has added features post release, yet still charges the same amount of money for the product.
I don't know of another ecu manufacturer which gives anything like as much support, or who can turn round ecu upgrades in such a short space of time.

IIRC, myself, yourself, BR and Andy F have all at one time or another chosen to run the SimTek on our own vehicles. Some of us have decided to stick with it .

Martyn
Old 14 May 2009, 08:09 AM
scooby-tc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jolly Green Monster

Simon
and the countless number of other peoples cars on here which have suffered idling issues.I havent heard of a single problem with the Apexi (other than clueless fools toying with the settings on the commander).I'm sure the Simtek is a very capable unit and so it should be for the price but if i had a choice of the 2 i'd go with Apexi

all IMO of course
Old 14 May 2009, 08:40 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

and the countless number of other peoples cars on here which have suffered idling issues.I havent heard of a single problem with the Apexi (other than clueless fools toying with the settings on the commander).I'm sure the Simtek is a very capable unit and so it should be for the price but if i had a choice of the 2 i'd go with Apexi

all IMO of course
idle issues is mapping

with any map based ecu it can be difficult to get the idle spot on in one session.
Obviously once the engine is warm you cannot check the cold start.
Also 90% of the cars being fitted with a SimTek are highly modified and it is therefore fitted with bigger injectors, big turbo etc and therefore are going to take the most work to get the idle 100%.

The Apexi is maf based which has it's advantage with regard to idle and cold start but obviously disadvantages especially on the 99 and 2000 and only runs to about 340~350bhp on the very early car and the uk 97 and 98.

Of the countless you mention there are countless more out there which are not posting how good there car is.. you are just reading the negative.

Simon
Old 14 May 2009, 08:42 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by MartynJ

IIRC, myself, yourself, BR and Andy F have all at one time or another chosen to run the SimTek on our own vehicles. Some of us have decided to stick with it .

Martyn
mine has done 45k on a SimTek and I now have a Solaris to fit.. more because I am an ecu geek and I like to play.. I am awaiting the SimTek Evo version to fit to my other car.

Simon
Old 14 May 2009, 08:50 AM
scooby-tc
Scooby Regular

I need you to map mine soon Simon afterall it has only been 2 years probably looking around end of Aug/Sept but i will ring you nearer the time
I'm getting bored driving off boost
Old 14 May 2009, 09:41 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

I need you to map mine soon Simon afterall it has only been 2 years probably looking around end of Aug/Sept but i will ring you nearer the time
I'm getting bored driving off boost
no problem..

you decatted it?

I could always check it with laptop and detcans etc if money is tight, at least then you know whether you have to drive off boost or not.. if it isn't safe then I can drop the boost on it so it is..

Or just give me your type r in exchange for me mapping it

Simon
Old 14 May 2009, 09:54 AM
scooby-tc
Scooby Regular

Haha yeah righto i love that Type R and being completely standard i can happily drive that on boost all day long (its so much quicker than the spec c) anyway i digress
Yes The Spec C is fully decatted,has a TD uprated actuator thats it,no RCM induction or anything like that I havent had the CEL at all but i havent taken the car over 0.5bar boost.If you can do a quick check that would be good but dont make a special trip only when you are next in the area

Last edited by scooby-tc; 14 May 2009 at 10:03 AM.
Old 14 May 2009, 10:04 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Haha yeah righto i love that Type R and being completely standard i can happily drive that on boost all day long (its so much quicker than the spec c) anyway i digress
Yes The Spec C is fully decatted,has a TD uprated actuator thats it.I havent had the CEL at all but i havent taken the car over 0.5bar boost.If you can do a quick check that would be good but dont make a special trip only when you are next in the area
pop up to Len's when I am next there..

drop me a pm or email as a reminder and once I have organised with Rick @ Subaru 4 you when I am next mapping there I'll let you know

Simon
Old 14 May 2009, 10:07 AM
scooby-tc
Scooby Regular

will do cheers