Sponsored by:

NEW MEMBERS SELLING

Search this Thread

Old 06 May 2009, 09:14 PM
webby v7 slipperwagon
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default NEW MEMBERS SELLING

How come on other forums you have to have so many posts, before you put items up for sale, but not on scnet. Surely it would be better, considering the amount of newbies scamming people on here. Sorry to drag all newbies into this, but im sure you understand. How about, the value of what you are selling depends on your posts. Posts =points.
20 posts=£20

50 post=£30

100 posts=£75

150 posts=125

etc...

Its not based on a rising scale as such, just an idea.
Old 06 May 2009, 09:21 PM
BIG FUD
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ill never get 22,500 posts web but i agree 100%
Old 06 May 2009, 09:23 PM
burbling1
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Would this not encourage the scammers to put up random posts and give people a false sence of security.
Old 06 May 2009, 09:25 PM
cossie-nutter
Scooby Regular

Very good point and 1 I said about before now!

IMHO I think you should have a minimum of 500 posts before you can post in the for sale thread! (Unless a fully paid up member!)

That way you would of joined in on S/N and got to know people and earned respect!

Also I think unless you join in on the main area's of the site and here for what we all are then that should be a no no aswell!

Just my own opinion but it would stop the scammers!

Last edited by cossie-nutter; 06 May 2009 at 09:27 PM.
Old 06 May 2009, 09:27 PM
webby v7 slipperwagon
Scooby Regular

[quote=burbling1;8687695]Would this not encourage the scammers to put up random posts and give people a false sence of security.
No worse than it is now. Would you buy of someone with 5 posts and selling something, plus admin could easily screen the posts for postings sake (if you know what i mean)
Old 06 May 2009, 09:29 PM
cossie-nutter
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by burbling1
Would this not encourage the scammers to put up random posts and give people a false sence of security.
Only if a scammer was so desperate to spend loads of hours on S/N!

you my still get the odd 1 but IMHO I think it would stop 90% of them!
Old 06 May 2009, 09:31 PM
webby v7 slipperwagon
Scooby Regular

Possibly a world first, where both parties agree to have the money held in the system by SCNET ADMIN, then when proof of goods received is shown then funds can be released. Obviously a small fee could be applied for sake of the SCNET XMAS PARTY. Its just a rough idea at the mo.
Old 06 May 2009, 09:32 PM
burbling1
Scooby Regular

I see were your coming from but I think it needs a secure way, only this week I was going to buy off a member who has over 200 posts but only been a member for 2 months.
Old 06 May 2009, 09:34 PM
burbling1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by webby v7 slipperwagon
Possibly a world first, where both parties agree to have the money held in the system by SCNET ADMIN, then when proof of goods received is shown then funds can be released. Obviously a small fee could be applied for sake of the SCNET XMAS PARTY. Its just a rough idea at the mo.
That sounds a lot better.
Old 07 May 2009, 01:19 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

All input is welcome We're having lengthy discussions about ways and means of improving the system.

In the meantime use common sense by ensuring that you have enough information about the seller to satisfy yourself that they are genuine by verifying the following:

1. Landline telephone number. Make a CALL to check out the area code and number are correct too!
2. Name and address including postcode
3. Valid e-mail address [be wary of disposable addresses such as @gmail or @yahoo for example].
4. Using PayPal then check out eBay feedback if there is any and make a small payment to and from each other to validate the PayPal e-mail address.
5. If possible, collect and pay for items in person
6. Only buy from Verified PayPal Members if possible.

Do NOT proceed with a deal until you are completely satisfied with all details being correct. It's in your best interest to check out these details yourself.

Above all, make full use of the iTrader system installed as this is your way of making other SN users aware of good and bad trades with a user.
Old 07 May 2009, 01:27 PM
cossie-nutter
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DJ Dunk
All input is welcome We're having lengthy discussions about ways and means of improving the system.

In the meantime use common sense by ensuring that you have enough information about the seller to satisfy yourself that they are genuine by verifying the following:

1. Landline telephone number. Make a CALL to check out the area code and number are correct too!
2. Name and address including postcode
3. Valid e-mail address [be wary of disposable addresses such as @gmail or @yahoo for example].
4. Using PayPal then check out eBay feedback if there is any and make a small payment to and from each other to validate the PayPal e-mail address.
5. If possible, collect and pay for items in person
6. Only buy from Verified PayPal Members if possible.

Do NOT proceed with a deal until you are completely satisfied with all details being correct. It's in your best interest to check out these details yourself.

Above all, make full use of the iTrader system installed as this is your way of making other SN users aware of good and bad trades with a user.
Agreed with the above But Like my self I am Ex Directory for my land line number because of my job with the Ministry Of Defence! But I will always offer my mobile number and address and collection is Always welcome from my self!

Agree I think it's down to common sense and do your homework on who ever you buy from!

I still feel a constructive amount of posts will put scammers off as unless your really desperate you wont try and make posts up just to scam someone! (Not saying it wont happen but it might put them off more!)

Last edited by cossie-nutter; 07 May 2009 at 01:29 PM.
Old 07 May 2009, 01:40 PM
New_scooby_04

I would encourage people to contribute to this debate. As Ali-B says, the mods are actively involved with coming up with ways to make this place significantly less friendly for scammers. One of the ideas was to stipulate a minimum post count for being able to advertise in the market place (as the OP suggests) We may go significantly further than this.

In the meantime, we do have Itrader and some common sense about who you trust will go a long way to slamming the door in the face of scammers.

Also remember the old addage: If it's too good to be true, it probably is!

I personally won't deal with newbies who don't have a paid subscription to SN as a rule. If I do, then any goods I send are sent by courrier with a tracking number and insurance and any goods I pay for would need to be collected in person with payment on delivery.

Please do remember though, that SN just provides a forum in which you can trade; it will ALWAYS be a case of buyer beware.

Prevention is better than cure, as they say!
Old 07 May 2009, 02:03 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by cossie-nutter
I still feel a constructive amount of posts will put scammers off as unless your really desperate you wont try and make posts up just to scam someone! (Not saying it wont happen but it might put them off more!)
I agree, it would certainly help. Of course the buyer would still need to check the validity of the sellers posts as you should now. If they're meaningless or inflamatory then you would be put off trading with the user.

Even in it's infancy, you only have to look at cossie-nutter's iTrader score (for example) and the sale threads that contribute to it, to see that he is a responsible, genuine seller. It speaks volumes.

Disclaimer: He may or may not be of course, so you should still satisfy yourself that he's genuine