Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New boy needing some advice

Search this Thread

Old 03 January 2002, 07:43 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They are a bit rattley when cold due to the boxer flat four configuration, not the smoothest but a great sounding engine. However I dont want to worry you but especially on the 97 and 98 models (last of the phase 1 engine versions) there was a problem called "piston slap" which is basically the piston is rattling against the cylinder, when the engine warms up heat expands everything and the sound goes away. From memory its due to piston 4 distorting slightly and a lot of 97/98 UK cars were fixed under warranty by either a short engine, or a specific piston replacement. There is sound file of it on the net somewhere but I cant find the link.

I wouldnt panic too much as they are all a bit tappety and the piston slap noise is loud knocking sound. I think I may have a copy of the .wav file if you are interested ?

If you ar enew to the impreza this is worth a read

http://www.sidc.co.uk/faq.htm

cheers

ChrisP

[Edited by chrisp - 3/1/2002 7:49:17 PM]
Old 01 March 2002, 07:31 PM
svenfjord
Scooby Newbie

Question

Hi everyone,

Bought my '98 Reddish Blue 2000 Turbo about 4 weeks ago. It came resplendent with 17" OZ alloys and a huge Prodrive rear spoiler. Best car I have ever had!! It actually manages to make the drive to work interesting!

Now that I have had a chance to get used to it I was wondering if all Scoobys have very rattly engines when cold or if mine has a problem. The other thing I've noticed is that there is a lot of vibration throught the clutch peddle at high revs (5000+). Again, is this normal? I never boot it until it's had a really good chance to warm up!!

Sorry for my ignorance but any comments would be much appreciated. Hope to see some of you at meets around the Bucks area.

Cheers,

Mark P
Old 01 March 2002, 07:43 PM
DeerHunter
Scooby Regular

i have a problem with cluch judder on cold days only while the car warms up? how do you feel the clutch a 5000rpm - take your foot off it!

I also have a ticking noise from the engine compartment that carries on for 4-5 secs when i turn off the car, dont think its serious so waiting for next service to see.

Funnily enough mine is a reddish blue MY97 r reg!
Old 01 March 2002, 07:48 PM
Yorkie
Scooby Regular

Welcome mate !
My MY99 sounds a bit tickety when the weather is cold sounds like tappets sound in older cars. Done it from almost new, don't think its a worry. Clutches do judder when car left out in cold/damp weather, but this should disappear after 2 - 3 miles.

Yorkie

Old 01 March 2002, 07:55 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Oh and the clutch, as above

"They all do that, Sir"

My MY00 WRX has dont it a coupel of times in 18 months but my MY98 UK did it from new for the whole 2 years off and on. Was worse in cold/damp weather. Use to make for interesting pull offs from junctions
Old 02 March 2002, 09:55 AM
svenfjord
Scooby Newbie

Smile

Thanks everbody!

I've had a look at the FAQ on the SIDC site which is very helpful. I also joined the SIDC so I am hoping to get to some track days this year. Can't wait!

Cheers,

Mark P