Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

WRX PPP -v- STi (advice needed)...

Search this Thread

Old 27 April 2009, 11:13 AM
cobraman
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default WRX PPP -v- STi (advice needed)...

I was contemplating buying a WRX Prodrive and found a good one for £7465. However, upon my travels I found a similar age/mile STi for £7750 so am now in a conundrum whether to by a WRX Prodrive or STi for a little bit more?

I understand although the WRX Prodrive and STi (non-Prodrive) have identical performance figures but I also understand the STi is the better drivers car as it has Brembos, better suspension etc etc. However, I've also heard the ride quality in the STi is noticeably harsher than the WRX. Can anyone please clarify how harsher it is?

Also, what is the fuel economy like in the STi compared to a WRX Prodrive. I know you don't buy Impreza's for fuel economy but I can certainly afford 20mpg but I cannot imagine living with anything lower than that?

Many thanks in advance.
Old 27 April 2009, 11:25 AM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

STi every time fella if it's same car (age, miles etc) & just WRX vs STi choice 20mpg should be no probs in either as my Spec C was generally 23-27mpg for a tank ie mix of steady & give it some driving. Suspension may be harsher in the STi but the trade off is better cornering

TX.
Old 27 April 2009, 11:42 AM
cobraman
Scooby Regular

Actually, having been through some more ads I've found this which is even cheaper and seems to be an STi with Prodrive. Is this going to be heavy on fuel?

Subaru : IMPREZA WRX STI PPP

The harshness of the drive is also putting me off a little. I know I need to try a test drive myself but are we talking very very harsh compared to a WRX?

Last edited by cobraman; 27 April 2009 at 11:44 AM.
Old 27 April 2009, 11:54 AM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Is this the TX / cobraman debate

STi with PPP is even better I'd say The mpg is down to the heaviness of your right foot ... my Spec C was 375bhp & was generally fine on mpg (see above).

Must admit that I prefer Jap Scoobs, have you thought of a JDM version?

TX.
Old 27 April 2009, 12:30 PM
cobraman
Scooby Regular

Looks like its just you and me.

I've not considered a JDM. I am not after mega power but I would like around 265bhp. Now I don't want a very harsh ride and that is what is putting me off the STi plus the fuel figure (I currently get around 25mpg in normal road driving in the CTR) and I've been told the WRX Prodrive gives around this figure or thereabouts.
Old 27 April 2009, 01:39 PM
Ved
Scooby Regular

The STI is the one you want. You'll get around 23 when caining it around some B roads flat out and around 30 on a motorway.
Old 27 April 2009, 03:13 PM
scooby L
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cobraman
Looks like its just you and me.

I've not considered a JDM. I am not after mega power but I would like around 265bhp. Now I don't want a very harsh ride and that is what is putting me off the STi plus the fuel figure (I currently get around 25mpg in normal road driving in the CTR) and I've been told the WRX Prodrive gives around this figure or thereabouts.
The STI ppp will be nearer 300bhp, with like for like mpg.

The standard STI is your 265bhp
Old 27 April 2009, 03:14 PM
scooby L
Scooby Regular

and I'm gettign 24mpg out of my 2008 2.5 STI "normal" driving.

It will dip below 20 if you cane it... but so would the WRX
Old 27 April 2009, 03:45 PM
cobraman
Scooby Regular

Okay - thanks for the figures on the fuel economy. Anything around 20mpg normal town driving is good enough for me.

Now onto the harshness of the ride. My Civic Type-R is very harsh with the hard suspension set up and I am used to a harsh ride. I've driven a WRX and would say it is a little less harsh than my CTR - almost comfortable (which was a huge surprise). So how harsh a ride is the Blobeye STi?

Are we talking extremely harsh (if someone can compare it to a WRX or CTR that would be great)?

Thanks.
Old 27 April 2009, 04:30 PM
scooby L
Scooby Regular

"harsh" is not a word I'd use

The STI feels more "taught" and can suffer from a "choppy" ride in the Blobs.
Old 27 April 2009, 04:52 PM
cobraman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scooby L
"harsh" is not a word I'd use

The STI feels more "taught" and can suffer from a "choppy" ride in the Blobs.
Okay then. Is it a very choppy ride and have you ever experienced tramlining?
Old 27 April 2009, 05:08 PM
wrx9181
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hay mate i have a sti ppp and the handling is what makes a subaru a great car the sti has great handling and the breaks are a diff league to the wrx
You also get better exhaust fuel pump etc its just a better place to be with ppp even if you start tuning some of the ppp exhaust is that good that you leave it on and still make good bhp and get through the mot
Old 27 April 2009, 06:37 PM
Aaron1978
Scooby Regular

i didn't think the ride is much harsher in my blob sti than it was in my blob wrx. I only really noticed the difference in the sti set up when i gave it some, less body roll and it felt more planted but i also felt more confident with better brakes.

I would go STI PPP over the other two, especially if its cheaper still. I'm not sure how old you are mate but be aware there is sometimes quite a difference in insurance quotes from WRX to STI's and if you don't find the right insurance company even more again to a STI PPP due to many insurance companys not understanding the PPP upgrade.

Fuel is as most people said 25mpg on average. Once or twice 30+mpg but only once or twice in 2 years. Its slightly better on fuel now its remapped.

HTH

Aaron
Old 27 April 2009, 06:38 PM
johnpye
Scooby Regular

Hi there i have got a 2004 sti (non PPP). I had a 206 gti 180 before my scoob and i would say that the scoob gives a softer ride than the gti i was really surprised when i drove it for the first time but i would be aware of the common strut failure on the sti of this age i have had to have mine done as they were knocking when i got the car, you will not regret the change from hot hatch to sti, i love mine, i couldn't decide between a wrx and sti but once you drive the sti i dont think you will want the wrx IMO!
Old 27 April 2009, 06:39 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

WRX rolls more and is more likely to "drift" if provoked, my pal has an almost standard one, and it's lovely and comfy.... great for the family. I have the STI and it rolls less and has better brakes, mine just feels "planted". The WRX can be up-graded to STI levels of performance at extra cost... If you can insure it get the STI, engines are good for 400 bhp if you have a few spare pennies....

HTH

dunx
Old 27 April 2009, 06:59 PM
LWells
Scooby Regular

I would say the STi PPP, i have driven all the models you have mentioned and own a WRX PPP, the performance between a wrx and wrx ppp is hardly anything, i had the PPP fitted and compared to a friends totally standard WRX there is no difference until you get above say 70. The PPP "feels" quicker and is nicer to drive as more torque but outright 0-whatever on the road not much. However a PPP STi.. well.. its Quick! I dont think you would find the ride bad in a Sti, i have changed my Wrx suspension and its quite hard now the Sti just feels better for some reason! I was in a 55Plate Type R yesterday, it seemed similar to my setup in harshness.

I wish i had got an Sti as it has more potential, stronger engine, nice interior etc, the brakes are also crap on the Wrx, i changed to Sti Brakes...

hope this helps :-)
Old 27 April 2009, 08:04 PM
CRABBY1972
Scooby Regular

sti ppp all the way very quick when you want it and a nice drive when you dont want to race around no too harsh a ride either best thing to do is test drive all of them you will be blown away with the performance of the sti ppp
Old 28 April 2009, 12:31 PM
scooby L
Scooby Regular

Okay then. Is it a very choppy ride and have you ever experienced tramlining?
In answer to your tramlining question, I found tyre choice/wear was far more likely to induce tramlining.

The bridgestone potenza's used to tramline when 75% worn, but were fine up to that point,
So I changed to Toyo proxies and found them much better.
Old 28 April 2009, 12:45 PM
cobraman
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys for all your responses.

And because of your jibber-jabbering, I have decided to test drive a STi myself to see what all the fuss is about.

The problem lies that they are a little more expensive than the WRX's so I may have to go for a less-desirable (IMO) bugeye. The other alternative is to wait a few months and save the pennies and go for a blobeye STi.

I have a budget of £7500. I guess I will need to go up a further £1000 for a good standard STi Blobeye then?
Old 28 April 2009, 02:32 PM
CRABBY1972
Scooby Regular

you could have my ppp sti for around 8500
Old 28 April 2009, 03:47 PM
bigbarry04
Scooby Regular

the parts alone on the sti make it alot better value for money. semi forged red top engine, 6 speed gearbox (possibly dccd, depending on year of car) brembos, turbo (ihi)sti interior, sti spoiler. also sti has smaller details like different steering wheel, side skirts, intercooler spray etc . personally i would pick the sti, as it is the more better car for big power for future gains
Old 28 April 2009, 04:56 PM
cobraman
Scooby Regular

It looks like it is going to have to be an STi then based on what I've read.

Having looked at a few ads on Pistonheads, it seems I have missed out on what would have been a perfect car (spec, colour, price etc). If something like the below comes up again for sale, can you please keep me in mind.

Subaru : Subaru Impreza WRX sti TYPE UK

I'm absolutely gutted that I missed out on the above. I had seen it for sale but was only after a WRX so dismissed it altogether.
Old 28 April 2009, 05:42 PM
F1 CJE UK
Scooby Regular

its all down to what you are looking for, as a normal fun road car the wrx is very hard to beat, Evo has all gone for it over the sti for the day to day drive. with ppp its still a very fast car and as dunx posted you can upgrade if you really get into it. (its expensive but not a crazy jump from doing the same to a sti, depending on what level you are going for. 500bhp is my aim)
Old 28 April 2009, 05:56 PM
Going 4 400bhp
Scooby Regular

The problem lies that they are a little more expensive than the WRX's so I may have to go for a less-desirable (IMO) bugeye.

I have a budget of £7500. I guess I will need to go up a further £1000 for a good standard STi Blobeye then?
Nothing wrong with a bugeye Cobra

Lighter and in my case faster, oh and better looking in my eyes

Name:  CIMG0075.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  155.4 KB