Newbie needing advice

Search this Thread

Old 26 April 2009, 06:00 PM
AbbasSTI
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie needing advice

Hello there,

i bought a 53plate sti type uk on Saturday, (after 4 years in 1.4 focus) The guy I bought it of told me it had the full PPP, and it has been fully serviced by Prosport with a full service less than 300 miles ago. After 2 hours of testing it out with the turbo working hard in 4th up a steep hill the Malfunction indicator lamp (CEL) came on steadily along with a very worrying jerk. I took it home driving very slowly. I phoned the guy who sold it me and he said bring it to him on Monday and he will get the diagnostics done. He said it would be fine to continue driving. Later on that day i was on the motorway, I felt the same vicious jerking but this time in 5th with the turbo working hard again.
I read a few previous posts about the CEL on here and everyone is saying diagnostics is the only way to work out the problem but should I be drivin while waitin for diagnostics to be done?

Also I went through the owners manual and checked all the bits I could and everything seems fine, but I can smell a burning smell from the exaust should I be worried about this?

Also it has a HKS Hi Power Muffler, is this standard? If the car does have the full PPP kit would it have this exaust?

Also when driving hard is pressing the Intercooler W/Spray every few minutes a good idea? Can you spray it too much?

How long should I let the car warm up and cool down?

Help or confirmation on any of the above would be greatly appreciated,

Kind regards

Brownface
Old 26 April 2009, 06:18 PM
charlieogden
Scooby Regular

Also it has a HKS Hi Power Muffler, is this standard? If the car does have the full PPP kit would it have this exaust?

No it would usually have a Prodrive one on if it has the PPP but having a HKS is probably better....... in noise anywho

Also when driving hard is pressing the Intercooler W/Spray every few minutes a good idea? Can you spray it too much?

I wouldn't empty the who lot in there but any excess water would just run through the fins on the Intercooler and down the back of the engine i think.

How long should I let the car warm up and cool down?

Warm up. Water temp will be normal after about 1-2 miles but the oil takes alot longer 8-10miles in cold weather. i just keep it below 3k for a wile till everything has freed up oil,water,gearbox things like that.

Cool down is a bit mystic, some people say 30 seconds will do but some auto turbo timers will keep the car running for 2min+. But personal when you are coming to the end of you journey have a easy couple of miles keep it off boost where possible and then i let it sit for 30-60sec then switch it off.

Hope this helps a bit im sure people will pick me up on a few things.

Charlie
Old 26 April 2009, 06:45 PM
AbbasSTI
Scooby Regular

"Warm up. Water temp will be normal after about 1-2 miles but the oil takes alot longer 8-10miles in cold weather. i just keep it below 3k for a wile till everything has freed up oil,water,gearbox things like that.

Cool down is a bit mystic, some people say 30 seconds will do but some auto turbo timers will keep the car running for 2min+. But personal when you are coming to the end of you journey have a easy couple of miles keep it off boost where possible and then i let it sit for 30-60sec then switch it off."

Thanks for the advice, i have been letting it warm up and cool down on my drive, standing still so you have saved me lots of time,

Now my biggest worry is the burnt smell coming from the exaust, I am hoping somone will say this is to be expected.......