ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

New Engine

Search this Thread

Old 26 April 2009, 03:49 PM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Engine

My new project is at the point of engine repairs. At the moment its a proven 300bhp classic but the head gasket needs to be done as it blew the other day.

I have thought about trying to do it myself but thought better of it, I have had a few quotes from £750 to £1000, does this sound right?
If its the right price would I be better just getting a new engine? (recon). This way I can dress it up before it goes in and I can do something special with the paint inside the engine bay.
Has anyone changed a classic engine (wrx)? what did it cost? What are the pitfalls against getting the head gasket changed?
The car is on 60k so its still a relatively low millage car for a V2.
Old 26 April 2009, 04:23 PM
andy2795
Scooby Regular

hello m8 iv got a classic type r and a m8 of mine used 2 own the car befor me an he had 2 do the head gasket on it an that cost him £850 so price is right as there is a lot of work 2 be done. he all so up rated the piston,injters, roger clark oil pump an a biger fuel pump as well. if u got the money then i would do the work on it an clen up the engine bay at the same time while the engine is out. hope this has help u

andy
Old 26 April 2009, 06:59 PM
M444GY
Former Sponsor

Location: MSOCs tyre and ROTA wheel dealer .Ruisliptyres@gmail.com

there is nothing wrong with doin a head gaskets as long as the engine hasnt been cooked . u could fit uprated head gaskets ect and id emagine the engine would be taken out to do em as it is easier imo . u could have the engine out in 2 hours and then however long it would take to do the checks and gaskets .

would be a nice project
Old 26 April 2009, 08:12 PM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

Here are some early shots of the project car.

Just for the record I have P1 seats in the front I am looking to swap them for an STi interior or a mint WRX one if anyone is interested, Plus looking to swap the lights for normal ones.

I am going to look into some new engines and compare the cost against the repair, Its its only a few quid more to switch the engine I will just get a new one.
I am sooo excited about having my first proper project.