Old Scooby v New Scooby Choice - Advice Appreciated

Search this Thread

Old 26 April 2009, 12:39 PM
ScottishRayman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old Scooby v New Scooby Choice - Advice Appreciated

Guys,

New to the site, only joining on Thursday after test driving 2 Impeza's of which one I am buying.

I test drove a 2006 WRX (old shape) and a 2007 WRX (new shape) within 10 minutes of each other at same showroom. Fully appreciate that the new shape has been built for more added comfort etc...... however I was led to believe both should have roughly the same performance. The difference in the two cars I drove performance wise was quite dramatic and the old shape felt much faster. Is this indeed correct or maybe something wrong with the newer model I drove?

Reason I ask is that I have gone for the 2006 WRX (old Shape) but still have the option of changing it for the newer model so just wanted some more experiend Subaru views pse.........
Old 26 April 2009, 03:05 PM
Woody69
Scooby Regular

It's up to YOU fella' your the one parting with your hard earned cash!

If it makes you happy, what does it matter what anyone else thinks?

Also, you can mod the crap out of any of the two cars to suit YOUR driving needs!
Old 26 April 2009, 03:33 PM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

If it were me I would go for the MY06, In fact one of my Subarus is a Hawkeye so I might be a bit biased.
If you were talking new shape 330s versus a Hawkeye it would be a different story but I love the Hawkeye, It goes well its super comfy on journeys and it looks cool.
I have a classic that is mad man fast but its not a daily car by a long shot.
So for what its worth in the world of WRX I would punt on a Hawkeye.
Old 26 April 2009, 03:46 PM
wrx9181
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I would go for the new one but only in black or white
Imho it looks better than hawk eye
Good luck buddy but its your choice
Old 26 April 2009, 04:36 PM
ScottishRayman
Scooby Regular

cheers guys for replies but has this been discussed before that the 06 (old shape) is much crispier and responsive than the newer 07 (model) or was it my imagination on the test drives?
Old 26 April 2009, 06:06 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

We're talking difference between 2.0 Blobeye and 2.5 Hawkeye here from how I read it. I did the same as you and drove both. I opted for another Blob as I preferred the revvier nature of the 2.0 engine and this suited me. The Blob also has more burble IMHO. It will be your car, so go with the one you prefer
Old 26 April 2009, 06:24 PM
ScottishRayman
Scooby Regular

s70rjw - both are 2.5 wrx from the data on the sales screen, a 2006 wrx sl in silver (old model) and a 2007 wrx in black (newer shape).

What is blobeye and what is hawkeye as new to the Impreza.
Old 26 April 2009, 06:27 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts

Lesson 1 it's scooby not scobby

Here endeth the lesson
Old 26 April 2009, 11:01 PM
ScottishRayman
Scooby Regular

Didn't ask for lesson Daz but well done that helps give advice/help to folk which the forum is all about...........not, but suppose gets your posts up .
Old 26 April 2009, 11:35 PM
hoochydady
Scooby Regular

to be honest if you drove the 2 ov them pick the 1 u like best bit ov advise if u havent done so hpi the 1 ur picking or ask to see there hpi report on the car and make sure its got service history.its posible 1 has been remaped and thats why its more punchy
Old 27 April 2009, 12:15 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Blobeye....

Hawkeye....

As said above, the older one may have some mods, possibly the PPP (Prodrive Performance Pack), making it quicker. IMHO all WRX's need this to release their proper potential. If you buy one without you can do the necessary bits yourself for half the Subaru dealer PPP price (£1600). After that, leave the power alone and sort the handling out. Have a look at the exhausts which might carry the Prodrive logo, and if you can see the intercooler pipe it might be bright blue instead of black plastic.

The newer shape car might retain slightly more value for a while, but I wouldn't let it lead the purchase. The leather interior will be nicer to live with during your ownership, and apart from looks they are otherwise identical cars. Black is always appealing, but a pig to keep clean, whereas silver can look bland.

For me I'd be looking to barter them down on the black Hawkeye to free up some cash to mod it to 280bhp or so before working on the chassis and suspension. Or looking at an STi

How much are they up for
Old 27 April 2009, 09:27 AM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottishRayman
Didn't ask for lesson Daz but well done that helps give advice/help to folk which the forum is all about...........not, but suppose gets your posts up .

Blimey, over reaction or what? That's a cracking start to your scoobynet membership.

It was supposed to be light hearted banter nevermind pal.

As for postcount no need to increase it.

Been on here for 9 years and here's just a couple of my threads to wet your appetite.

https://www.scoobynet.com/projects-4...v3-type-r.html

https://www.scoobynet.com/projects-4...ssic-2-0l.html

Now back in your box there's a good lad
Old 27 April 2009, 12:34 PM
ScottishRayman
Scooby Regular

Hoochydady - cheers for reply, and on speaking to the Subaru dealer both are standard vehicles.

Corradoboy - very informative mate and much appreciated. I've plucked for the 2006 56 model (old shape) as its the Subaru I always kinna fancied and almost got one last year but went with an M5. The 2007 (newer model) just didn't shout out WRX to me although thats prob cos I aint used to it. I got the 2006 56 for £11k and it has 8,200 miles on it having been previously owned by Subaru only and they are chucking in 1.5 years full warranty etc.... I'll look at the PPP once I get used to the new machine but have a little fun without the addition initially. I'll now start the search for the best Insurnace companies as Admiral getting binned when policy finishes next month and notice a few threads with advice on this so should help out.

No need for me to reply on the other above post as absolutely going no where and no value being added........
Old 27 April 2009, 01:10 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Ooooh ! £11k for a Blob WRX My mate's asking £11,995 for a 330bhp Hawkeye STi CLICKY.
Old 27 April 2009, 02:27 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by corradoboy
Ooooh ! £11k for a Blob WRX My mate's asking £11,995 for a 330bhp Hawkeye STi CLICKY.
New and the (when new) old shape could be had for around 13-14K new or so i thought if you shopped around.

Scottishrayman, Daz pointed out your misspelling of scooby, and did so with smilies as to indicate not serious or as in fun. You seem a little uptight, maybe embarrassed at the mistake, easily made and not the first one to do so.
Three or so posts in, asking for advice and already you are looking for a row?!?
Perhaps best to chill and get to know a few personalities on the board.

Not wanting to fight Daz's corner as he is more than capable of doing so

Good luck with your car hunting, plenty of deals to be had out there at the minute.

Last edited by The Zohan; 27 April 2009 at 02:34 PM.
Old 27 April 2009, 02:56 PM
scooby L
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by corradoboy
Blobeye....

Hawkeye....

As said above, the older one may have some mods, possibly the PPP (Prodrive Performance Pack), making it quicker. IMHO all WRX's need this to release their proper potential. If you buy one without you can do the necessary bits yourself for half the Subaru dealer PPP price (£1600). After that, leave the power alone and sort the handling out. Have a look at the exhausts which might carry the Prodrive logo, and if you can see the intercooler pipe it might be bright blue instead of black plastic.

The newer shape car might retain slightly more value for a while, but I wouldn't let it lead the purchase. The leather interior will be nicer to live with during your ownership, and apart from looks they are otherwise identical cars. Black is always appealing, but a pig to keep clean, whereas silver can look bland.

For me I'd be looking to barter them down on the black Hawkeye to free up some cash to mod it to 280bhp or so before working on the chassis and suspension. Or looking at an STi

How much are they up for
Thanks for clearing that up... it's what I was thinking also, but some people think the hatch is a 2007 car..

I think you'll find the blob's been tinkered with, to feel that much different...and obviously the dealer's "not in the know" regarding that info.
Old 27 April 2009, 03:01 PM
scooby L
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScottishRayman
Hoochydady - cheers for reply, and on speaking to the Subaru dealer both are standard vehicles.

Corradoboy - very informative mate and much appreciated. I've plucked for the 2006 56 model (old shape) as its the Subaru I always kinna fancied and almost got one last year but went with an M5. The 2007 (newer model) just didn't shout out WRX to me although thats prob cos I aint used to it. I got the 2006 56 for £11k and it has 8,200 miles on it having been previously owned by Subaru only and they are chucking in 1.5 years full warranty etc.... I'll look at the PPP once I get used to the new machine but have a little fun without the addition initially. I'll now start the search for the best Insurnace companies as Admiral getting binned when policy finishes next month and notice a few threads with advice on this so should help out.

No need for me to reply on the other above post as absolutely going no where and no value being added........
Welcome to SN mate.

Scooby model slang names for future reference:

Classic (up to 2000)
Newage (covers Bugeye, Blobeye and Hawkeye)
Bugeye 2001-2002
Blobeye 2003-2006
Hawkeye 2006-2007
Hatch 2008-Current

Your initial post confused some on here when you made reference to testing a "new shape" (ie: hatch not Hawkeye) against an "old shape" (ie: hawkeye not blobeye) but your years were correct and thus the others have no excuse!

ps..... but please don't bite me head off!

Last edited by scooby L; 27 April 2009 at 03:07 PM.
Old 27 April 2009, 03:20 PM
ScottishRayman
Scooby Regular

Cheers for info - interesrting it may have been tinkered with already and will get performance place to check it out when I get it from garage. They might have saved me a pretty penny doing it myself then lol.

I never bite the head off of anyone providing useful info so cheers buddy appreciated. The price seemed the going rate down these neck of the woods and its an SL with a couple of extra perks heated seats etc...... so should be decent fun.
Old 28 April 2009, 09:20 PM
carling82
Scooby Newbie

Default Be Aware

Hi,
I am no expert but be careful, I almost bought a scooby from subaru direct, after a few crafty phone calls found that it was x-lease/hire car, also check/ask if it has ever been used on a track, I backed out and bought x-demo hawkeye that was on forecourt of subaru dealer. Great car. Wife reckons I am having a mid-life crisis.
Old 28 April 2009, 10:21 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Ex demo isn't always a good choice. They are often used as the dealership runabout by everyone from the MD down to the trainee doing the sandwich run. Also, not many dealers bother to warm up a car before a test drive and thus they are often booted, seriously, from clap cold. When it isn't their car many people can be less respectful. An enthusiast owned low-miler might be a better cared for machine, maybe