Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driven have now totally lost it...

Search this Thread

Old 03 January 2002, 09:35 AM
Black Cat
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree generally speaking the show was just entertainment value rather than informative, and that guy getting his hots in the 300bhp celica - saddo, my WRx clocked over 270bhp on the rolling road a few weeks ago.

And did anyone notice - or was it just me, that the shots of Penny inside the saab - the backdrop was going in the wrong direction? Anyone else notice that.

And who would want to sleep in an ice hotel... how do you go to the loo or have a shower or brush your teeth.... never mind just thought the whole show a bit odd, well it's always odd, last night just odder.

Pen

[Edited by Black Cat - 3/1/2002 9:36:33 AM]
Old 03 January 2002, 09:39 AM
Bitten Hero
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I actually really enjoyed it - not as a motoring show, but as a look at how the Swedes live! It was more of a 'Clarkson's Motor World' programme, which is no bad thing as a one-off but they need to get back to normal next time.

Richard

ps I am the only one getting really bored of this weekly Driven-bashing... [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] If you don't like it, don't watch it. You don't pay for it so stop whining. If you think you can do better than go and do it, just stop whinging...

[Edited by Bitten Hero - 3/1/2002 9:40:34 AM]
Old 03 January 2002, 12:03 PM
Reidy
Scooby Regular

I wasn't bashing it because of the Evo v sti thing - I just think that saddo motoring journalists should stick to the point and C4 should commission someone like Billy Connolly to report from Sweden in the nuddy - now that might have been more entertaining!

I was only watching as there was sod all else on - however I fear it was the last time I'll tune in.

A load of tosh IMHO.

As for this being the best motoring program on TV - it's **** poor that it is now probably the ONLY motoring program on TV - and even that is under threat after last night.

Move it to the discovery channel next time C4!

Thanks

[Edited by Reidy - 3/1/2002 12:04:21 PM]
Old 01 March 2002, 09:25 AM
Reidy
Scooby Regular

I've never seen such garbage as that driven program last night. What the hell do huskies and snow scooter thingies have to do with motoring. I don't want to see that idiot Brewer and Mr Plato **** around on toys etc..

I think they only reviewed 2 new cars in an hour and these reviews were poor. The driving tips in snow were crap, the ABS test thing rubbish and obvious and all in all it actually made me turn over in parts to see what else was on.

It it really the case that SAAB and Volvo are the only car makers worth a mention in an hour of what is meant to be a motoring program?

I thought the program last week was poor (not just because it seemed to me biased to the Evo) but this week was absolutely dreadful.

Any one else think this?
Old 01 March 2002, 09:30 AM
MikesWagon
Scooby Regular

I totally lost it as well. Too busy with paperwork, ended up taping BBC1 for an hour instead of C4.

I'm stupid, but I'm happy me!
Old 01 March 2002, 09:31 AM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

No, I thought it was quite entertaining.

Sure, if you want hard, fast, non-stop motoring facts, figures and tests, last nights programme wasn't for you.

However, if you like to see a bit of the beautiful country of Sweden, see a few cars, see some ice/snow driving then last nights programme was great.

Each to their own.
Old 01 March 2002, 09:34 AM
Louise
Scooby Regular

It started off ok, but then it got to the Huskies bit and I got so bored that I went upstairs to wash my hair.

Agree - the ABS braking bit was a load of rubbish
Old 01 March 2002, 09:37 AM
DT
Scooby Regular

I enjoyed it, bit of a laff. It's still the best motoring prog on TV.
Old 01 March 2002, 09:40 AM
chuckster
Scooby Regular

Watty u is a celica-phile and weather-phile and so biased. Bet you only watched it for a chance to glimpse the old northern lights (I is so uneducated I wont try and spell ah-roar-ah bore-e-ah-lus , except phonetically )
Chuck
chiark
Scooby Regular

Who wants to sleep in an ice hotel? I'd LOVE to! But that's not the point really...

We're criticising someone for getting excited about 300+BHP. Is that not what some of the members (myself included) like to see on an Impreza?

No-one's making you, or anyone, watch it. If you want to slag the programme off to make you feel better because it just couldn't be possible that the Evo VII is better than the STI VII, then do so in your own mind.

Surely we don't need the Great Driven Debate of last week repeated ad infinitum every week?

Nick.
Gordo
Scooby Regular

you don't need a toilet in an ice hotel - your jobbies just freeze.

everyone knows that!

Gordo
Old 01 March 2002, 09:42 AM
Bitten Hero
Scooby Regular

And Nick echoes my thoughts as I type them...
Old 01 March 2002, 09:43 AM
Louise
Scooby Regular

Chiark - go to www.icehotel.com then. Have to admit, it does look good (from my nice warm office desk)
Old 01 March 2002, 09:45 AM
juan
Scooby Regular

heh. I wonder why anyone was even watching the program. I thought you all wrote it off as tosh last week too
Old 01 March 2002, 10:32 AM
Jza
Scooby Regular

I thought it was hilarious!!

Great show - loved the rally driving and that nutter old boy in the saab 9-5 estate!!

Thought the driven report on the huskies was fantastic - and it was nice to see another country from a driving point - did you know they had to have snow-tyres after december by law.

The new saab concept car looks amazing!!

Jza
Old 01 March 2002, 10:44 AM
Steve Perriam
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

yeah i thought it was gr8 and nice to see it an hour long.

gr8 with erik carlsson throwing that saab estate around

and the celica bit was good as well.

even enjoyed the husky race and generally the scenery was amazing.

think my next holiday is the icehotel....what a gr8 place to go and stay and to visit.

like has bee said, nuff driven bashing.....if u dont like it vote with your remote control !!!

steve
Old 01 March 2002, 10:46 AM
Trouser
Scooby Regular

Cool

Erik Carlsson is a god!!

and we will have no dissing of saab's on this BBS or i will be forced to bore you with several anorak Turbo charging facts about how ace their engines are ! ..

Have had the honour of being in a car with Erik.... he has won the Monte and everything ya knows!! ..Married to Stirling Moss's sister.. so the whole family can drive.

I'm just going to polish my saaaaaab

Trouser

Old 01 March 2002, 11:01 AM
reaton
Scooby Regular

I forget to watch Driven (doh!) last night but have to agree with Trouser on the Saab thing.

I'd never really rated them until last night when I followed a modified (big exhaust, don't know what else!) 900 turbo. I wasn't exactly hanging about (prob at 75% as I was tired - excuses, excuses!) but it outpaced me on a twisty, fairly quick A road. I have to admit I was impressed!

Rich
Old 01 March 2002, 11:56 AM
Dales
Scooby Regular

Talking

Am I the only person who thought it was hilarious when Brewer fell off the sledge into a tree? He should send it in to You've Been Framed - guaranteed £250.
Old 01 March 2002, 12:00 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

What happened with the ABS test on this program, I just missed it (kept hopping back to bbc2!).
Old 01 March 2002, 12:11 PM
Jen
Scooby Regular

Dales - I thought it was brilliant!

Enjoyed the scenery, and the one off show

I'd love to stay int he ice hotel as well...but pricey though!

Jen
Old 01 March 2002, 12:30 PM
banshi
Scooby Regular

Roll out the Driven Defence Squad!

Normally there's about five mins worthwhile viewing in an average programme. Put simply, it's marginally better than original fomat and is unlikely to ever become an authoratitive motoring programme. I spent the evening switching between that and the Beeb trying to identify which was the lesser of the two evils.

Just further evidence of the dumming down process that commenced with Top Gear. Impressive as they were, frozen fijords and moody landscapes are Carol Smarmies domain and Rolf Harris for a discussion on dogs (or Mellow for the two legged varient).
Not long before were looking to Men & Motors for quality content
If I may be permitted to paraphrase the redoubtable BH ..
If you don't like it, don't READ it. You don't pay for it so stop whining.
Old 01 March 2002, 12:39 PM
Steve Perriam
Scooby Regular

Cool

so how much do the prices work out at in english jen ?

u seen the menu ?

how about carpaccio of reindeer to start or bearsteak marinated in wild honey....followed by tenderloin of reindeer and to finish try the Arctic Raspberry sorbet or maybe Cloudberry ice cream !!

i wanna go !
Old 01 March 2002, 12:57 PM
Jen
Scooby Regular

When I checked it last year it was 109 US$, which is about £73, I assume each...which I guess isn't too bad for such an amazing experience! (that was for the Swedish one, there's one in Canada which I quite fancy visiting as well )

The up-to-date prices will be on the driven website, which is down at the moment...wanted to check it out this morning!!

I guess the only bad thing about just buying my first Scoob (actually, that was a month ago now!) is that we can't afford a cool holiday, oh well! Much rather have scoob, plenty of time for Hol's in the future

If you go you have to take lots of pics and post them on here

Jen
Old 01 March 2002, 01:14 PM
Steve Perriam
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

i thought u'd converted the swedish kronor prices on the actual website !

i'll have to check out the current exchange rates !!

well you have time to save cos it starts to melt in April so you can save and plan to go next year !

i'm just selling the scoob cos of impending house purchase.

so i doubt i'll be able to afford it for a couple of years ! oh well i aint been on holiday for 4 or 5 years so i guess another couple wont matter !!
Old 01 March 2002, 01:20 PM
Jen
Scooby Regular

Steve,

Just use this:

http://www.xe.com/ucc/

Easy!

No worries, doubt I'll be able to afford it for a couple of years either - we've just brought a house! scarey. Hope all goes well with the impending purchase...

Jen
Old 01 March 2002, 01:54 PM
Steve Perriam
Scooby Regular

Red face

cheers jen

right that means the prices are :

double room @ £131.60
suite @ £198.73

and thats makes the reindeer starter and main course cost £8 and £17.46 respectively.

u r rite.....its bloody scary and very expensive !!!

steve
Old 01 March 2002, 02:15 PM
Mildo
Scooby Regular

Driven has been getting worse and worse, as far as I'm concerned, and I've stopped watching it altogether.
Old 01 March 2002, 02:52 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

A WRC car maybe "only" 300bhp but with 30+ psi boost at low revs the torque is awesome. Boost is reduced as the revs climb to avoid the air through the turbo going supersonic due to the FIA restricter.

Dont know if it was in full anti-lag/rally mode for the program though.

Lee
Old 01 March 2002, 02:55 PM
Jen
Scooby Regular

You're right Steve -

It's no use...I'll just have to save up...or get the big spoiler

Maybe if we head over there and threaten them with hairdriers they'll let us in cheap

Jen

Quick Reply: Driven have now totally lost it...