Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is there any point remapping an (almost) standard STI?

Search this Thread

Old 19 April 2009, 08:24 PM
Ved
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there any point remapping an (almost) standard STI?

I'm well aware of the decat/sportscat/fuel pump method before a remap to get the most out of the engine but has anyone remapped a standard car (ie keeping the stock CAT) and why?

Did you get more MPG, a smoother delivery, any issues etc...

David
Old 19 April 2009, 08:32 PM
ScoobyDoo69
Scooby Senior

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Wouldn't say there was no point. Little gain yes as an exhaust makes everything breathe easier and allows better pickup etc.
However, standard maps can be totally rubbish, so a remap could make the car more economical, safer for the engine, and a bit smoother.

I wouldn't bother unless I'd atleast changed the exhaust system..
Old 19 April 2009, 08:41 PM
Ved
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo69
Wouldn't say there was no point. Little gain yes as an exhaust makes everything breathe easier and allows better pickup etc.
However, standard maps can be totally rubbish, so a remap could make the car more economical, safer for the engine, and a bit smoother.

I wouldn't bother unless I'd atleast changed the exhaust system..
Mine's only a TSL backbox and a replacement centre section so i wouldnt do it either. Was just curious
Old 19 April 2009, 08:45 PM
MrRA
Scooby Regular

Not every engine is exactly the same, so to a point the generic factory map is compromised a little. It has to take into account manufacturing tolerances and the fact that not everyone will run the car on the best fuel possible.

Remapping a car will give the car a bespoke map specifically for that engine. As such, everything should improve, from fuel consumption to power output.
Old 19 April 2009, 09:21 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you should see very good gains.. equal or higher than ppp figures, along with throttle response and mpg improvements..

Simon
Old 19 April 2009, 09:22 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Do it. I bet you see at least 30 of each gains
Old 19 April 2009, 09:42 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

Subaru would ensure that the Standard Map was as good as it could get on the mpg front - I'm sure they would love to post higher mpg figures. So I doubt you would see an increase in mpg with a re-map.

Driveability? Not sure .... my standard map is pretty decent, I can drive it pretty well - no nasty surprises ever.

Power increase? maybe ... but then your mpg will suffer - it is beyong the laws of physics to get extra power without burning more fuel.

I would spend the vast money charged for a re-map on something more useful. Like a chocolate frying pan

Last edited by SunnySideUp; 19 April 2009 at 09:44 PM.
Old 19 April 2009, 09:52 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by SunnySideUp
Subaru would ensure that the Standard Map was as good as it could get on the mpg front - I'm sure they would love to post higher mpg figures. So I doubt you would see an increase in mpg with a re-map.
the map is generic.. one fits all for that model / year etc.. they have to allow safety margin for tolerances on fuel pump, injectors, engine tolerances, runin / compression blah blah..
Custom map doesn't need to guess the fuelling as it is monitored and checked and corrected and altered on that individual car.
The standard map is very rich..

Driveability? Not sure .... my standard map is pretty decent, I can drive it pretty well - no nasty surprises ever.
how can you compare when you have never had a remap or driven a mapped version?

Power increase? maybe ... but then your mpg will suffer - it is beyong the laws of physics to get extra power without burning more fuel.
sorry but in basic terms there is a point ideal fuel to air ratio for power.. adding more fuel takes power away, sorry but your statement is incorrect.
There is also other reasons for increased mpg, as if you are driving the car normally you need less throttle to accellerate to the same speed when you have more power, you also get to the speed you want to be at quicker.. both uses less fuel.. along with cleaning up the fuelling for that individual car.

I would spend the vast money charged for a re-map on something more useful. Like a chocolate frying pan
thats a bold statement from someone whom I am assuming has never had a car mapped and therefore knows nothing of the process the time and effort and knowledge involved or witenessed and experianced the benefits from doing so.

Simon
Old 19 April 2009, 10:03 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

that`ll be him told then
Old 19 April 2009, 10:06 PM
mantazini
Scooby Regular

10+ for Simon .......
Old 19 April 2009, 10:23 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

Speaking from experience of both, I can cofirm my MPG improved, from an average 210 miles per tank to an average 270 miles per tank on PPP Blobeye after a remap. That is commuting and country driving. The throttle response is far better. The car is far more lively and the power is delivered lower in the rev range, so you can drive in a higher gear than before.
Old 19 April 2009, 11:04 PM
Ved
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jolly Green Monster
you should see very good gains.. equal or higher than ppp figures, along with throttle response and mpg improvements..

Simon
Even with a standard CAT and fuel pump, Simon?

If so I may be calling on you
Old 20 April 2009, 12:16 AM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Ved
Even with a standard CAT and fuel pump, Simon?

If so I may be calling on you

Standard Cat means nothing. Do you actually have any other mods or are you just curious if wasting money on a map will get more ???? As the money would be better spent on a decat
Old 20 April 2009, 12:26 AM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

An uprated fuel pump is only needed if the engine is demanding more fuel than the standard item can supply ..... and, as can be seen by post 8 ..... you get more power from LESS fuel ....

I love SN - re-writing the Laws of Physics on a daily basis

I'm sure that someone on here can design and build a perpetual motion machine, of course only a select god-like few will be able to service it ..... even then, someone will want to map it and fit a knocklink
Old 20 April 2009, 12:43 AM
GavinE
Scooby Regular

I'm sure that someone on here can design and build a perpetual motion machine, of course only a select god-like few will be able to service it .....

But unfortunately they wouldn't be the first,

YouTube - The OC MPMM - Alsetalokin's Video [2008/01/04]

Last edited by GavinE; 20 April 2009 at 12:44 AM.
Old 20 April 2009, 12:57 AM
mantazini
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GavinE
But unfortunately they wouldn't be the first,

YouTube - The OC MPMM - Alsetalokin's Video [2008/01/04]

good stuff....
Old 20 April 2009, 06:40 AM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

An uprated fuel pump is only needed if the engine is demanding more fuel than the standard item can supply ..... and, as can be seen by post 8 ..... you get more power from LESS fuel ....

I'm sure that someone on here can design and build a perpetual motion machine, of course only a select god-like few will be able to service it ..... even then, someone will want to map it and fit a knocklink
You really don't get that do you ?

An example..

AFR at 10:1 -> power at 260bhp
The car is overfueled and during the ignition process does not have time to burn all the petrol before wasting it down the exhaust pipe.

AFR at 11.3:1 -> power at 300bhp
The car is running smooth and producing power much more efficiently.

I can still get 30mpg out of my 550bhp car - perhaps I am some kind of master of the black arts

A completely standard STi responds superbly to a remap with no other mods required. Most people would choose to add an air filter or backbox though. The difference is night and day. The std map given by Subaru is very very tame aswell as being very rich
Old 20 April 2009, 07:07 AM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great work Pete - ever tried fishing, I'm sure you'd get a bite or two if you did?
Old 20 April 2009, 07:13 AM
3barboost
Scooby Regular

ok since you not understanding the more complicated replies lets try make it simple

if the fuel map in the ecu is rich the flame front speed of the explosion started by the spark plug is slow - there is more fuel than air - in simple terms the explosion "drowns somewhat" - the factory maps are set rich by default - we wont ponder why but accept that they are

if the fuel map in the ecu is set optimally ie by a remap then the flame front speed is FASTER as there is less un exploded fuel to get out the way and the piston is forced down faster

thus when fuelling is optimal there is more power generated from a lesser quantity of fuel

it is possible to do 400m/650kms to a tank in a sti and still have 270whp

a bigger fuel pump is needed when more air is pumped in because everything in the engine is related to an air fuel ratio - more air means more fuel in the CORRECT ratio
a higher pressure fuel pump also atomises the fuel better and can help part throttle fuel consumption as well
Old 20 April 2009, 01:23 PM
Steve001
Scooby Regular

on a more light hearted note who is local to chester that does a really good map?

MY06 spec:-D with ppp

oh and cost?

s
Old 20 April 2009, 01:51 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

lmfao @ replies
Old 20 April 2009, 02:32 PM
Ved
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevebt
Standard Cat means nothing. Do you actually have any other mods or are you just curious if wasting money on a map will get more ???? As the money would be better spent on a decat
GroupN back box, afterburner centre pipe and a green cotton panel.
Old 20 April 2009, 05:39 PM
Steve001
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jolly Green Monster
lmfao @ replies
me too (at some anyways)

it seems that every race/rally team, mappers, tuners, all the aftermarket part manufacturers and entrants to 'ScoobyShootOut' have had it all wrong for years
Old 20 April 2009, 06:22 PM
scoobmj
Scooby Regular

custom map that took around 2 hours of setup/driving/tweeking on my car.

VS

generic SUBARU map that is designed to suit 1000's of engines.

its a bit like comparing a tailor made suit to a primark one yeah they both cover your bare ar$e but they are a world apart

SunnySideUp, i bet you think the bright switch is a really good idea....must be coz subaru made it

PS.....Simon Rocks

Old 20 April 2009, 06:35 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

High capacity fuel pump, the pressure is set by the regulator....

But as a "believer".... mine was just better on mpg after mapping, but before the map was done, I had 275 bhp, after 340 bhp. Yes physics does indeed mean my car CAN do 6 mpg, but rarely does (on track !).

A non-Ecutek solution would be preferred IMHO, if the gains are smaller due to limited mods, then the cost should be also ?

JGM did mine and it's ace, worth every penny. He'll be back later no doubt to play with it some more....

dunx
Old 20 April 2009, 06:59 PM
Ved
Scooby Regular

I've PM'd Si with some further questions and since I'm using the car for weekends now then I think it makes sense to get the most out of the car now. I'll update this thread should I go ahead with it.
Old 20 April 2009, 08:08 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

I had a TSL cat'd downpipe on mine to get 340 bhp, TSL Group N back box and de-res centre section, only a fuel pump up-grade and some cooler spark plugs were required.

Good luck.

dunx