Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Hatchback STi owners, did you go Euro or UK?

Search this Thread

Old 03 April 2009, 01:44 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Hatchback STi owners, did you go Euro or UK?

Quick question for MY08/09 STi owners, if you bought new did you go euro import or UK. My last impreza was a hawkeye (MY06) which i bought new and after the experience i had with IM i said i'd never buy new again from them. Starting to look at the MY08/09s as a real posibility to replace my M3 after the summer is over and wondering should i get a year old UK or new euro as they seem to be the same price...

So if you have one, which did you plump for and why. Also what spec are the euros?

Cheers,

Tony.

PS not interested in JDM so don't give me the reasons why they are so much better
Old 03 April 2009, 02:05 PM
scooby L
Scooby Regular

I chose the Euro Premium spec because (at the time) there was no UK car with all the extras (sat nav, recaros, 18" BBS alloys & push button start)

All for £27k

The 330s would be the only UK car that would turn my head now..but that's £31k
Old 03 April 2009, 02:29 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

Cheers, where did you go for this? Looking around i can only really find Motor Depot on the trader with euro versions... from memory when i bought the hawkeye there were loads of places offering euro STis such as Motorpoint etc.

Tony.
Old 03 April 2009, 02:31 PM
scooby L
Scooby Regular

I used David Hendry (only because they are just down the road for servicing, and had an Obsidian black demo for sale)

The other recommendation is Litchfield imports (Larger selection of specs etc, with some go faster goodies on offer too)
Old 03 April 2009, 02:45 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

Just checked Motor Depot again, premium spec (Recaro, 18" BBS, Nav, push button) seem to be going for £22,995 with 20 miles on the clock. Doesn't seem bad at all, or 'normal' spec for £20,495.

I'll have a look at DH and Litchfields too.

Cheers.
Old 03 April 2009, 02:52 PM
scooby L
Scooby Regular

£22k is about right, the whole industry has knocked about £5k off new car prices.

Not sure how much Litchfields and DH will discount though.

You might have to give them a ring... Weak £ also equals higher import costs.
Old 03 April 2009, 06:17 PM
Apostle
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up Euro spec 08 Sti

I used Motor Depot in Hull for a euro spec in spark silver (looks just like the EVO mag car but with the front spots fitted - a real must as improves the front 100%).

I paid £5k more than £22k last year but did get it on an interest free deal - which is what really swung it for me. Spread over 5 years and no deposit - it was a no brainer.

AND... really enjoying the car, use it every day usually travelling into London and back, sometimes out into Kent or Surrey. Its pretty quick as it stands, a real undercover / discreet chariot (as the early 'non lairy' scoobs) - makes it lots of fun !

And yes it rolls a bit more, but prob handles no worse. Immense grip on the Dunlops which are apparently the same as the stock new GTR tyres - but dont get a puncture as no one in the uk stocks them. I had to have an 'old fashioned' puncture repair done which is holding out admirable.

Quite frankly the nicest car I've ever had, inside and out. When I finally get the tax man off my back its ported headers & up-pipe from Harvey, AEM or Litchfields CAIK, Sports catted 3" H&S exhaust, with a JGM remap - hoping for 400 /400... It will be a real monster.

Until then I'll have to make do with some springs JDM pinks or Prodrive (if they ever materialse) or maybe just sway bars Whiteline or Cobb.

Do yourself a favour and go get one for yourself - you will not regret it.
Old 03 April 2009, 06:25 PM
renny
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tone Loc
Just checked Motor Depot again, premium spec (Recaro, 18" BBS, Nav, push button) seem to be going for £22,995 with 20 miles on the clock. Doesn't seem bad at all, or 'normal' spec for £20,495.

I'll have a look at DH and Litchfields too.

Cheers.
IIRC Graham Walker are selling the euro imports as well.
Old 03 April 2009, 07:30 PM
stuart2008sti
Scooby Regular

Am i the only one to buy a type uk,feel abit left out.
Old 03 April 2009, 08:58 PM
midichlorian
Scooby Regular

No you're not Stuart. My 09 is a UK one straight from the dealer.

My UK 08 STI was written off in an accident - insurance replaced it FOC with a new one - I picked it up last week. Awesome (again) straight out of the box. I Would love to improve the sound - but I'm skint for a while

Purchase price was a shade over £23k, IM were asked by the dealer to cut the price to get the sale. The tracker ID details give date of manufacture as June 08 (not sure if this means at FHI in Japan or at IM once it's imported - I'm not sure where the tracker is fitted?).

So maybe this means a few UK spec STI's are sat in the UK unsold & IM are taking off the VAT to shift them? Cash flow for them must be very bad, so 20 - 25% off could be not so difficult at the moment...
Old 03 April 2009, 09:27 PM
rob84
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by stuart2008sti
Am i the only one to buy a type uk,feel abit left out.
No Mate mines a type uk but with a twist ha ha ha now spec'ed to how i want it best way really
Old 04 April 2009, 07:20 AM
mickp
Scooby Regular

Euro premium spec for me. Now got the PPP so effectively a 330S without the badge.
Old 04 April 2009, 07:12 PM
Paul666
Scooby Regular

Another UK spec here.
Old 04 April 2009, 08:42 PM
silver demon
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

just picked my sti euro spec from motor depot yesterday
£22K, 8 miles on the clock, 5 years 0%, 1st 3 service and 1st mot inc.
Full subaru 3 year warranty
Old 04 April 2009, 10:37 PM
orthochris
Scooby Regular

I bought a type UK 10 months ago. If I had know about the 330s or euro spec I would have gone for one of them. I paid 23k last year (2months old with 487miles on the clock) before the cost of the wheels, fog lights and STI splitter. I still need to get the sat nav & 330s seats. Next on the agenda is the prodrive performance pack. Next week. The euro spec seems an amazing deal. I am very jealous of the deal Silver demon got.
Old 04 April 2009, 10:53 PM
silver demon
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by orthochris
I bought a type UK 10 months ago. If I had know about the 330s or euro spec I would have gone for one of them. I paid 23k last year (2months old with 487miles on the clock) before the cost of the wheels, fog lights and STI splitter. I still need to get the sat nav & 330s seats. Next on the agenda is the prodrive performance pack. Next week. The euro spec seems an amazing deal. I am very jealous of the deal Silver demon got.
Couple of pics here
https://www.scoobynet.com/members-ga...ct-friday.html

Like "mickp" said 330s spec then just needs PPP
Old 04 April 2009, 11:07 PM
orthochris
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by silver demon
Couple of pics here
https://www.scoobynet.com/members-ga...ct-friday.html

Like "mickp" said 330s spec then just needs PPP

Absolutely. I have spent so much more on mine already. I would go for a euro spec and get the PPP. Especially if you get the subaru 3 year warranty. On top of all the extra money I am spending. I had a Mk V Golf R32 for 6 months and lost 7K when I traded it in for the Subaru. The subaru is miles better, so was definately worth it.
Old 04 April 2009, 11:57 PM
ghplumb
Scooby Regular

UK spec here also
Old 06 April 2009, 10:50 PM
Dave_P
Scooby Regular

UK Spec here, well it started that way
Old 07 April 2009, 08:23 AM
John Hughes
Scooby Regular

Default STi

UK Spec for me also.
Old 15 April 2009, 11:25 AM
cresswell
Scooby Regular

UK spec. Dealer demo with 18" alloys. Properly supported by local dealer - was contacted about engine remap last October. Couple of stories on here about total engines failures on cars that were not done.
Risk if you are not going via Subaru UK IMHO.
Old 19 April 2009, 03:39 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

Sounds like euro spec is the way to go, especially if 0% deals are going from Motor Depot. I'd rather not give any money to IM which makes a euro spec even more appealing. Servicing would be done by Prosport (who are Subaru approved for servicing and warranty work) so a euro warranty doesn't put me off a bit.

Just loving my M3 too much at the moment to get rid, sunshine, verts and 8500rpm m power engine singing means october maybe the best time to change for me.

Cheers for all the replies.

Tony.
Old 20 April 2009, 12:10 PM
scooby L
Scooby Regular

For people who are confused regarding euro warranty... the cars are registered (by the importer) when you buy the car with SUBARU UK.

Now all warranty work is (& can be insisted on) carried out by SUBARU UK dealers

They have been taken to court regarding the parallel import warranty's not being covered by the Subaru UK dealers..and Subaru UK lost.

ie.. there is no warranty issue

Hope that clears that up!

Last edited by scooby L; 20 April 2009 at 12:16 PM.
Old 20 April 2009, 12:59 PM
Paul666
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cresswell
UK spec. Dealer demo with 18" alloys. Properly supported by local dealer - was contacted about engine remap last October. Couple of stories on here about total engines failures on cars that were not done.
Risk if you are not going via Subaru UK IMHO.
I went the Subaru UK route and when I asked about the reflash to cure the engine problem they said "what problem", they even said that as they replaced the short engine. As far as I can see Subaru issued the reflash to the dealers and I'm not sure if they told them why at the start as I was told it was for hesitation. They then left the dealers to take whatever action they considered necessary. I think it's down to how proactive your dealer is as even after mine went other people I know of still had to ask for the reflash.
Paul.
Old 20 April 2009, 04:14 PM
scooby L
Scooby Regular

I quized them too... as far as the dealership was concerned it was to protect a possible underfuelling issue at the red line... therefore low priority to advertise as a "required" fix.
Old 03 May 2009, 09:20 PM
Bully3176
Scooby Regular

So can I ask if I purchased a top spc FJ STi Euro Import will Subaru UK now let me PPP it if I pay obviously? I like the top spec car just think I prefer the 5 spoke alloys instead of the BBS ones? looking at replacing the wifes 05 STi PP with one from either Motordepot or Graham Walker if they will price match
Old 04 May 2009, 12:29 PM
pmr01
Scooby Newbie

In terms of the PPP on a Euro import, does that invalidate your warranty?

Although I am only talking about a boggo WRX I have just had a call with a Subaru dealer who stated (very clearly and repeated it many times) that the Subaru warranty with my Euro import would be invalidated if I had the PPP kit fitted. "The kit was developed purely with UK cars in mind yada, yada, yada"

Not completely happy on this and would be interested in anyone's thoughts.
Old 05 May 2009, 08:52 AM
scooby L
Scooby Regular

The PPP is a warrantied upgrade, whatever the car's origins..

Go to another dealer, you'll get a totally different answer!
Old 05 May 2009, 12:04 PM
SPG
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scooby L
The PPP is a warrantied upgrade, whatever the car's origins..

Go to another dealer, you'll get a totally different answer!
Officially the Prodrive Performance Package is a UK designed and developed upgrade warranted by Subaru UK. Fit it to a European imported car and it simply becomes a spurious re-mapped car. In the event of any serious warranty claims where permission to carry our repair has to come from the country of origin, they will look on it as re-mapped and deny the calim.

Think about it, any uk car re-mapped by a non Prodrive route invalidates the warranty with Subaru UK, this is exactly the same for cars sourced from other countrys with regard to Prodrive.

No i'm not saying UK dealers won't put PPP on your car, as some will and perhaps cover the warranty themselves, but the above is officially how it works to the best of my knowledge.
Old 05 May 2009, 12:44 PM
scooby L
Scooby Regular

They'd have a very hard time in a court of law arguing that.

Euro cars..covered under Subaru UK warranty

PPP.. covered under Subaru UK warranty

Euro car with PPP fitted by Subaru UK dealership NOT covered...ha ha ha my barrister would have a field day.

Quick Reply: Hatchback STi owners, did you go Euro or UK?