Sponsored by:

Anyone Swapped UKMY99 for STI 5/6?

Search this Thread

Old 07 February 2001, 11:05 AM
Mr Bian
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

This has probably been covered before, but I am thinking of swapping from a 99 uk turbo to an sti 5 or 6.

I just wondered if this is a worthwhile move and if someone 'in the know' could summarise the main differences for me, from a driving and ownership point of view.

Cheers
Old 08 February 2001, 07:49 AM
cwal1
Scooby Regular

Hi,

Swapped a std MY98 for an STI 5. STI 5 is in a different league performance wise to a std UK car, but other than that the differences are of the non-visible kind i.e. changes to suspension component materials, engine internals etc.

So whether or not it is a better car would be down to your priorities. If you want a car which is fairly low geared, frantic and totally involving to drive, and which on tight B roads will beat almost anything, bikes included, then get the STI, If you want a car which is a bit slower, more relaxed and more benevolent in its handling but which will still beat almost anything (except an STI) then stay with the UK car.

You could always spend some money on brakes, suspension and a PPP/ Unichip/ Link and you'd then have pretty much STI levels of performance anyway.

Chris.
Old 08 February 2001, 10:06 AM
chuckster
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

I went from a MY99 to a Type R and now I cant fold the seats and get the Ski's on the car - it's a tough life
Otherwise the only real drag is ensuring you can get hold of Super unleaded, that is unless you get the STI remapped.
Chuck
Old 08 February 2001, 11:32 AM
blp
Scooby Regular

Totally agree with chris. Sti V5 is awsome. A mate of mines got a UK scooby, and there really is a hell of a difference.
If you are near portsmouth, drop me a line.