ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

330s Sti

Search this Thread

Old 30 March 2009, 08:57 AM
markus_UK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile 330s Sti

Morning all. Been some time since I posted on here – but though I would share some thoughts about a new MY09 330s Sti. This is my wife’s new car – I just drive it at the weekends. It replaces her My06 STI PPP. For the record, my car is an Audi A5 3.0 TDI (300 BPH, milltek, H&S, 470 lbft), a bit of a stealth car and totally different to the Subaru.

So why a new STi? We actually like the new looks (would be a bit silly to buy if we did not!). OK – total change of track from previous saloons, any maybe Subaru will turn back again and some point. However, ‘in the flesh’ it looks the part (midnight blue – which looks black from some angles and subtle dark blue from others). Will get some pics together when I have more time. We wanted to change as the My06 was almost three years old – and hell, bunk the trend in these ‘credit crunch times’. Went for the 330s becomes of prodrive and the bells and whistles.

It is better built then previous models and reasonably well specified inside. The keyless start etc is not actually a gimmick – especially if you have children – works great. The stat nav etc is good as well and surprisingly is well integrated into the car giving you all sorts of car diagnostic stuff. The seats are neat – but I am too fat (sigh) to feel that comfortable in them. Overall I think a big improvement over the old car – but its no audi.

So how does it drive? Well, it is slightly softer than our MY06 – but as good handling overall. The ‘I-Drive’ is actually a real neat trick in these ‘hard times’. When in town, driving the kids around, or on a longer straight drive it looks like we can get about 28 MPG out of it (the MY06 seemed to manage sub 20 MPG however it was driven). It is actually quite addictive to drive it in ‘I-Drive’ and get used to the car as it is (no slouch) and then put in ‘Sports Sharp’ for a quick overtaking.

SO what about performance. Well, given that we have not yet gone above 5000 RPM – it is way faster midrange than the MY06 PPP. I am talking a ‘big’ difference here – different league in fact. Now, I do wonder if we had a bad PPP setup before (it seems the actual PPP power between cars was a bit hit and miss). Perhaps the PPP in the 330s (not classed as a MOD as its put on prior to registration etc) is just better optimised. Whatever ... it feel much much faster. Could also be to do with its size and weight too.

Overall this car feels much more ‘dangerous’ on the road (I mean that as an ‘overtaking car’ rather than literally). As recent reviews of the new ford RS have indicated, the 330s needs to be driven intelligently to ensure that max boost / power is available when you need it – get it wrong and the RS (and lesser cars) will bite ya ***!

So, 30K is a lot to pay for this type of car (but not as much as 38K for a Type 20 which is clearly better but 8K more !!). However, overall I think it is a great car, and whilst many have been put off by the change in direction, Subaru are still on the money in my view.
Old 30 March 2009, 09:18 AM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

Wow, £30k for a new Impreza, I'm glad you like it, but you must have more money than sense!
Old 30 March 2009, 09:27 AM
scooby L
Scooby Regular

Glad you're enjoying it mate. (I'm still loving my standard 2008 STI ...especially after a run up the fosseway yesterday in the sun.... stupid smile on my face from Ciren to Bourton on the water, the Subaru does excel on those A roads )

I agree about the keyless entry/start, very useful... I do keep loosing my keys now though... you have many places to look rather than just the ignition!

Recaro's are superb.. very comfy and hold you very well.
Old 30 March 2009, 09:30 AM
markus_UK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul3446
Wow, £30k for a new Impreza, I'm glad you like it, but you must have more money than sense!
I guess 30K is all relative is it not. The audi with all its bits ad mods was 45K and that is worth every penny (but again that is relative).

A client of mine bought a M5 (2005) for 29K with 50,000 miles. That was an incredible car (but not for the wife). So I could have had one of those instead. But I wanted something that was new (know how it has been driven etc). If you are ever worried about what you spend then never get a new car - I know you lose lots!
Old 30 March 2009, 09:49 AM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

Nice review, One of the first "real owner" reviews I have read. I was of the opinion that if I were to buy a 330s I would wait a year or two for some to come onto the second hand market, also to let the bugs get ironed out.

Glad your getting on with it, I have started to warm to the new shape, and the 330s IMO looks like a very nice car.
Old 30 March 2009, 10:02 AM
mgcvk
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

30k is a lot of money for any car that is going to depreciate so much so quickly, but if you can afford the costs good for you. I don't think there is any doubt the new Sti is a great bit of kit but looks wise I think a lot of people are still struggling with it. Rally success would of course be a big help.........and possibly a facelift.
Old 30 March 2009, 12:52 PM
Mog
Scooby Regular

Well at least 2 people have bought one now.

Mog
Old 30 March 2009, 01:01 PM
S3TH
Scooby Regular

To the OP thanks very much for the write up
Old 30 March 2009, 01:08 PM
silver demon
Scooby Regular

Glad you like it! I'll write a review when I eventually get mine! Date I've been given now is April 9th
Old 30 March 2009, 01:19 PM
rb5 286
Scooby Regular

I'm really surprised at your 'review'

i found the 330S far from equal to my 07 STI PPP in power and handling terms

my wife didnt like it either, she commented on how it felt it was going to roll over due to the body roll.

She preferred the 330S's seats tho lol
Old 30 March 2009, 01:55 PM
markus_UK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rb5 286

my wife didnt like it either, she commented on how it felt it was going to roll over due to the body roll.

She preferred the 330S's seats tho lol
Just goes to show that you probably need a dyno with the PPP to see what you are really getting. The 330s in our case has lots more guts. Cannot say I have found the body roll that much of an issue, but granted it is softer than our My06 car.
Old 30 March 2009, 03:06 PM
scooby L
Scooby Regular

Watch the vid at the bottom of the page

Litchfield

Standard 2008 STi V's Standard 2007 STI (plus some other Mitsi's)

I'd suggest the power/handling is quite equal...

Last edited by scooby L; 30 March 2009 at 03:08 PM.
Old 30 March 2009, 04:15 PM
Paul666
Scooby Regular

Maybe you got a bad 330 to test and your PPP is a good one but the figures put the 330s 10 bhp and 20 lb/ft up and I know of at least one 08 PPP that is making 34 bhp and 50 lbft more than the quoted figures on an 07 PPP.

As for handling I've add a W.A.L.K and it makes the world of difference to the 08.
Old 30 March 2009, 04:49 PM
mickp
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul666
I know of at least one 08 PPP that is making 34 bhp and 50 lbft more than the quoted figures on an 07 PPP.
339 HP & 379LBSFT on my Euro 08 PPP so it's fair to say don't read too much into quoted figures.

The PPP has made a big different at overtaking speeds. Got the full 330S spec now and saved a few quid en route
Old 30 March 2009, 05:09 PM
Paul666
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mickp
339 HP & 379LBSFT on my Euro 08 PPP so it's fair to say don't read too much into quoted figures.
LOL my memory is failing, it's your figures I was quoting as I did think you'd got 349 bhp. Not put my UK 08 PPP on the rollers yet, I'll speak to Pete at Prosport and give it a go next time I'm there.
Old 30 March 2009, 05:31 PM
silver demon
Scooby Regular

The PPP has made a big different at overtaking speeds. Got the full 330S spec now and saved a few quid en route
I'm getting a euro spec. Is the PPP worth the £1600 ???
Old 30 March 2009, 05:36 PM
markus_UK
Scooby Regular

The PPP has made a big different at overtaking speeds.
Hmm that is interesting - sorta fits in with my observations. As I noted earlier, perhaps my last MY06 STi PPP was down on power, but the new 330s is SO different. I should add I am talking about, for example, 60MPH on the motorway and then floor in each gear to hm speed (just to test of course). Done this and only taken to 5000 RPM so far but the pull is much stronger than before.
Old 30 March 2009, 10:48 PM
stingzor
Scooby Newbie

You say you've only taken it to 5000 rpm, be aware there isnt a lot more to come! They pretty much top out power wise at 5500.

Having said that my 08 STi with PPP was dyno'd at 341 hp at Powerstation. Its the torque from the 2.5 that really makes the difference when overtaking, you seldom need to drop a cog.
Old 31 March 2009, 07:09 AM
mickp
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul666
LOL my memory is failing, it's your figures I was quoting as I did think you'd got 349 bhp. Not put my UK 08 PPP on the rollers yet, I'll speak to Pete at Prosport and give it a go next time I'm there.
Paul 339 & 379 were my figures. I am going to frame them and never go near the rollers again. (quit while i am on a high)

Originally Posted by silver demon
I'm getting a euro spec. Is the PPP worth the £1600 ???
I would say yes. It does pump a bit more life into the car and the torque is fantastic.
Old 31 March 2009, 08:19 PM
my06 ppp silver
Scooby Regular

i had mine on rollers at prosport last month, 329hp / 375lbsft, well above my expectations. i always find though a new car delivers the power much sharper/crisper. good read, i am warming up to the new shape also, better spec inside. i also believe there is talk of a 360 model to be released late in the year.
Old 01 April 2009, 05:26 PM
StanS
Scooby Regular

Bought the Euro/UKSTi parallel import from Iain Litchfield (same body spec as 330S) and with full suspension upgrades, Alcon F+R brakes + 355BHP upgrade, cost £33K. Drives very well, if a little bumpy on Norfolk back roads, but vastly improved on std set up. Hope to put it on RR to get baseline graph next week. Feels so much smoother and pulls so well from lowish revs, but not the raw go of the 424BHP UK 98 I had before. Amazing "luxury" - even cruise control ! lol.
I'm very pleased with it.
Car in Litchfield video looks like JDM STi (2 litre that revs to 8K).
Stan

Last edited by StanS; 01 April 2009 at 07:49 PM.