Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

02/03 WRX STi - what should I look for ?

Search this Thread

Old 29 March 2009, 08:56 AM
Pidea
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02/03 WRX STi - what should I look for ?

Hi guys, I've decided to get rid of my 1994 Subaru Legacy Turbo and replace it with a 02/03 WRX STi.

I've spotted a few cars on Autotrader but haven't been to see them yet. Are there any particular things to watch out for ?

Thanks in advance

Phil
Old 29 March 2009, 09:47 AM
bigh221
Scooby Regular

Hello mate, i picked up an 03 JDM STI in 2007 didnt really know what to look for so got wallet burnt. The rear struts are prone to knocking, to do with the dampers i think, under warranty subaru may sort them, if not its up to you. Check the service history inside out make sure there are no gaps, quiz the seller on the prev owners, even speak to them if you can, check all the paint work including the door sills for any respay work, see if the car has any track history, personally i would stay away from any that have been used on the track. Ask sh£t loads of questions it will become apparant if the guy is an enthusiast and knows his stuff about the car, and most of all take someone with you, loads of expertise on this forum i am sure someone will come along with you

Good luck Phil

Best Regards

Neil 06 2.5 WRX PPP
Old 29 March 2009, 09:54 AM
dantastic
Scooby Regular

Like with all motors a full service history and hpi check is a must, also the rear shocks are a common problem on the new age cars, listen for a knocking noise from the rear it tends to be more noticeable at slow speeds, they are not cheap to replace either, also the brakes tend to get a lot of wear so have a good look at the discs as well, take your time, there are a lot for sale so there is no need to buy the first one that comes along, good luck with the search i hope you get a good one.
Old 29 March 2009, 09:58 AM
Pidea
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the speedy replies guys. I've seen a couple of cars on Autotrader so will try and get to look at them in the next day or so. The guy that services my Legacy will come with me to view the car should I decide to buy one.

I've read that there are two chassis types: GD and GC and that one is much heavier than the other. What I haven't managed to work out is which model of WRX STi have them (if any !).

cheers

Phil
Old 29 March 2009, 10:33 AM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

Rear shocks knocking
Gear box noise
check, check and check again for the clutch slipping.
Cambelt change on the service history.

Thats my most important list. If they are all ok then chances are the car has been cared for anyway, Or maybe I have just been lucky so far.