remap with out a licence

Search this Thread

Old 22 March 2009, 10:44 AM
s c o o b y
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default remap with out a licence

hi

what does it mean if you get a remap with no licence can you get done for it . does anyone no.
Old 22 March 2009, 12:01 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It means that its illegal to use the software (normally knocked off) without a licence.
Just look at all the software on your pc that requires a licence to be legal, its the same, you can be done for using pirated software.

Tony
Old 22 March 2009, 01:18 PM
Aaron1978
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unless of course you've seen people asking "how much is a remap with a licence", meaning that the ECU has had a licence bought for it when its had a remap at some point. Which is cheaper than remapping an ECU that doesn't currently have a licence. There is places that do open souce mapping (i think Mocom Racing offer this) that doesn't require a licence and is a fair bit cheaper. If i were closer would probably give it a go as a few on here swear by them!.

HTH
Aaron

P.S If you didn't mean what i've just explained ignore me and listen to Tony
Old 22 March 2009, 01:52 PM
Proby521
Scooby Regular

So you can have someone map your car using 'open source' without any need for a licence? I thought the licence 'unlocked' the ECU as such for rewriting code. Hmmm...... I really want a remap but at the moment can't stretch to pay for ECUTEK licence an remap open source could be a cheaper option, if you can find a reputable 'open source' mapper I suppose.
Old 22 March 2009, 01:53 PM
rewindnottm
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
It means that its illegal to use the software (normally knocked off) without a licence.
Just look at all the software on your pc that requires a licence to be legal, its the same, you can be done for using pirated software.

Tony
untrue...

opensource software for reading and writing is completely free.

romraider is for editing a map that you have read from your ECU.

you can buy off the shelf maps (ROMS) from pro mappers, teach yourself or gat a pro map (mapped to your car) from a mapper i know who uses the software

there are limitation to what year cars can be done tho.

if you are interested in knowing more get in touch damian.pritchard at g mail dot com
Old 22 March 2009, 08:40 PM
s c o o b y
Scooby Regular

i think i'm maybe getting abit mixed up i've just seen maps for 550 with licence or 400 with out , now i'm thinking the 400 with out a licence is if you already have one but just getting a remap am i right or wrong . i was just thinking you could get a remap with out a licence just to save money but i take you have to get a licence first . i hope i'm kind of making some sense hear .

thanks for the info
Old 22 March 2009, 09:02 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

There was apost on here a few weeks back, where the poster paid £550, I seem to remember, for the first remap, including licence , then £180 odd plus VAT for subsequent ones. Bob

Trending Topics

Old 22 March 2009, 09:04 PM
WRX101
Scooby Regular

You can get a remap for about £400 but it's not ECUTECH it will be open source, which means if you want to get it mapped again in the future the mapper must be using the same open source 'pirate' software as opposed to ECUTECH which is about £650.
Old 23 March 2009, 01:28 AM
dunx
Scooby Senior

£650 + VAT for my 1st map in 2007, £300+VAT for my 2nd mapping in 2009 ! ( Ecutek )

HTH

dunx
Old 23 March 2009, 09:50 AM
psigeek
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by WRX101
You can get a remap for about £400 but it's not ECUTECH it will be open source, which means if you want to get it mapped again in the future the mapper must be using the same open source 'pirate' software as opposed to ECUTECH which is about £650.
Pirate software?

Open source is exactly that. It's designed and built by a community and it's free. eg:
Microsoft Office - requires license
Open Office - open source therefore free

To the original poster. Most often when getting a remap the standard ECU is retained. For the settings on it to be tweeked there are two usual routes.

One is the ECUTEK, etc map, which requires you to pay a license fee, but allows a mapper to change and tweek the values on the ECU. They are around the £595+VAT mark, people like JGM, Bob Rawle etc can do this for you. Remaps are at the mappers hourly rate (up to a couple of hours). There is no further license fee to pay. So if your ECU already has a license on it you might be OK to just get further remaps, however they can be 'locked' by the original mapper meaning you may have to go to them.

Two is open source, which in theory anyone can do, though is NOT recommended. This is generally cheaper as there is no license fee to pay to a company. Look at about £400 inc. VAT (Newage) and as said above Mocom offer these. Remaps at hourly rate of £50+VAT.

There is always the route to have a Power FC installed in the car and it can tweek values on the fly. Best to check the Jolly Green Monster site.

I hope that helps.

Last edited by psigeek; 23 March 2009 at 09:57 AM. Reason: sentence went missing?
Old 23 March 2009, 10:25 AM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The results are the same whether open source or ecutek - it is the tool that the mapper uses but the knowledge of the mapper is the main thing.

Open source works great for me
Old 23 March 2009, 02:59 PM
scooby L
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by s c o o b y
i think i'm maybe getting abit mixed up i've just seen maps for 550 with licence or 400 with out , now i'm thinking the 400 with out a licence is if you already have one but just getting a remap am i right or wrong . i was just thinking you could get a remap with out a licence just to save money but i take you have to get a licence first . i hope i'm kind of making some sense hear .

thanks for the info
To clear your actual question up.

If it's the 1st Ecutek map on the car and you cannot prove otherwise, then you'll have to pay a license fee on top of the map fee (Ecutek mappers only)

If your car's already had an ECUTEK remap (from any of the Ecutek mappers) then you own a license with that map....thus to have it mapped again you only have the "without license" amount to pay on any additional maps (from any of the UK's Ecutek mappers)

Hope that helps.

Last edited by scooby L; 23 March 2009 at 03:09 PM.
Old 23 March 2009, 03:25 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Depends if you want to be beholden to one mapper, at least with Ecutek you get check and balance with the comfort of a network of dealers. Ecutek is money well spent IMHO.
Old 23 March 2009, 03:59 PM
scoobeenut
Scooby Regular

Just to let you know there's a group buy on at the moment with Bob Rawle. Full Ecutek licence and remap for £430.00 + VAT
Old 23 March 2009, 04:04 PM
scooby L
Scooby Regular

£494.50 inc

Bob mapped my 2003 STI and it flew (cost me £600 odd back then)
Old 23 March 2009, 08:05 PM
rewindnottm
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by psigeek
Pirate software?

Open source is exactly that. It's designed and built by a community and it's free. eg:
Microsoft Office - requires license
Open Office - open source therefore free

To the original poster. Most often when getting a remap the standard ECU is retained. For the settings on it to be tweeked there are two usual routes.

One is the ECUTEK, etc map, which requires you to pay a license fee, but allows a mapper to change and tweek the values on the ECU. They are around the £595+VAT mark, people like JGM, Bob Rawle etc can do this for you. Remaps are at the mappers hourly rate (up to a couple of hours). There is no further license fee to pay. So if your ECU already has a license on it you might be OK to just get further remaps, however they can be 'locked' by the original mapper meaning you may have to go to them.

Two is open source, which in theory anyone can do, though is NOT recommended. This is generally cheaper as there is no license fee to pay to a company. Look at about £400 inc. VAT (Newage) and as said above Mocom offer these. Remaps at hourly rate of £50+VAT.

There is always the route to have a Power FC installed in the car and it can tweek values on the fly. Best to check the Jolly Green Monster site.

I hope that helps.
AGREED!
Old 23 March 2009, 08:14 PM
rewindnottm
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 53WRX
Depends if you want to be beholden to one mapper, at least with Ecutek you get check and balance with the comfort of a network of dealers. Ecutek is money well spent IMHO.
You will find that 'some' ECUtek mappers regularly map using open source,

you are buying into a brand when you buy ECUtek.

I think of it as someone buying a TV with Sony on it and your mate has the same internals with a different case.

also opensource is completely open meaning that with the right cable (about £80) you can read your own map. although you wont understand it..lol

I also thought that if you didn't know who mapped an ECUtek'ed car (like buying the car second hand for instance) then its quite difficult unlock it - but I'm sure I'll be told if I'm wrong.

I am slightly one sided to opensouce but I'm also open to debate - is this off topic
Old 23 March 2009, 10:34 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by scooby L
If it's the 1st Ecutek map on the car and you cannot prove otherwise, then you'll have to pay a license fee on top of the map fee (Ecutek mappers only)
you don't need to prove it.. the software tells you on the screen whether the ecu contains a licence or not and the mapper should show you this window and explain it whether there is or isn't a licence in it.

Simon
Old 23 March 2009, 10:39 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by rewindnottm
I also thought that if you didn't know who mapped an ECUtek'ed car (like buying the car second hand for instance) then its quite difficult unlock it - but I'm sure I'll be told if I'm wrong.
no it is never locked.. you just cannot read the map.. so if mapped by one person then the next person cannot read the map off it but starts from their own rather than the current one on the car.. it is no issue and 99.9% of mappers use there own map as a starting point.. it is only occasionally if for example the car needs a check over or small tweak it is much easier to have the orignal map.. but a number of us EcuTek dealers happily exchange maps via email at that point if the previous mapper is known and it would be quicker to use the previous map.. rather than the customer having to pay for a complete remap when only a tweak is required.

Simon
Old 23 March 2009, 11:18 PM
stuart148
Scooby Regular

so how do i stand with my wr1 ,as i got told they have been ecutekd already

so does this mean mine is open ?

stu
Old 23 March 2009, 11:50 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by stuart148
so how do i stand with my wr1 ,as i got told they have been ecutekd already

so does this mean mine is open ?

stu
if it was mapped with ecutek then it contains a licence and you only need pay for mappers time ..
Old 24 March 2009, 06:09 PM
scooby L
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jolly Green Monster
you don't need to prove it.. the software tells you on the screen whether the ecu contains a licence or not and the mapper should show you this window and explain it whether there is or isn't a licence in it.

Simon

That's interesting...Bob charged me full price even though he knew Powerstation had already mapped it once... but I could not prove it.
Old 24 March 2009, 09:18 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

A Prodrive'd map using the Ecutek software, won't have a licence IIRC

dunx
Old 24 March 2009, 09:39 PM
s c o o b y
Scooby Regular

hi guys

just booked in at zen performance for ecutec £550 + vat + there fitting me a walbro pump i'm letting them do it they must no what there doing , there the nearest to me .

cant wait hopefully it will make a big difference in power 270-280 bhp.

thanks for the info.
Old 24 March 2009, 09:52 PM
psigeek
Scooby Regular

It'll be a great difference and I'm sure you'll enjoy it. It sort of reminds you of the first time you drove a Scoob!
Old 24 March 2009, 10:20 PM
vulnax999
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Evenin' all,

Had the PPP on my STi 08 which includes an exchange ECU with Prodrive optimised map on it ( for some reason Prodrive don't wan't to release the map to the dealers to flash! But want £1000 for old ECU if not returned... damn, was thinking of mappng old one with a couple of warranty busting mods!).

I was told that the mappers cannot access the Prodrive licence and so to remap my Prodrive mapped PPP ecu it would be start from scratch and full price, which I don't mind but is a bit of a waste of the PPP cost!

How do Prodrive hide the licence info from ECUtek dealers?

Just curious, will wait until nearer the warranty runs out to do high flow motorsport cat d/pipe and perhaps better flowing exhaust etc.!

Although the PPP does really make the STi sparkle as it should done from new in the gears!
Old 25 March 2009, 12:26 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by vulnax999
Evenin' all,

Had the PPP on my STi 08 which includes an exchange ECU with Prodrive optimised map on it ( for some reason Prodrive don't wan't to release the map to the dealers to flash! But want £1000 for old ECU if not returned... damn, was thinking of mappng old one with a couple of warranty busting mods!).

I was told that the mappers cannot access the Prodrive licence and so to remap my Prodrive mapped PPP ecu it would be start from scratch and full price, which I don't mind but is a bit of a waste of the PPP cost!

How do Prodrive hide the licence info from ECUtek dealers?

Just curious, will wait until nearer the warranty runs out to do high flow motorsport cat d/pipe and perhaps better flowing exhaust etc.!

Although the PPP does really make the STi sparkle as it should done from new in the gears!
prodrive use ecutek but have a special licence which is a load once jobbie.. not a "standard tuner" licence which enables many writes by any ecutek dealer etc

Simon
Old 28 March 2009, 02:34 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

But want £1000 for old ECU if not returned... damn, was thinking of mappng old one with a couple of warranty busting mods!).
I am not convinced I have understood you correctly but the car is yours as is the ECU and it is your to do what you want with it.
I asked Bob Rawle if he could determine if a car had a PPP. Subsequently he plugged in his ECU but there was no PPP and the car was remapped.
What a difference.
Old 28 March 2009, 02:59 PM
vulnax999
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Harvey,

The PPP is the price with the ECU on an EXCHANGE basis ! See PM for more info!

Neil