Sponsored by:

HELP ! new shape or old Impreza ??

Search this Thread

Old 05 February 2001, 11:41 PM
Maddy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Appricate your views on these two, I took the new bug eyed WRX for a test drive , First impressions it looks ugly on the outside and pretty on the inside.
Engine sounds rather quiet and turbo seems to lack that punch.
Handling is fantastic although steering apears to be rather light pin sharp though !.
Definatly slower to 60 than its older brother.

I then took the old shape out and the engine sound was perfect harmony, The creature comforts were fine inside and the Turbo put a smile on my face every time, handling seemed fine and I love the aggresive look of the front.

So which should I go for your the experts on this one...

Do I buy a new last of the old shape or the new ugly shape WRX.

As you can see I personaly prefer the Old shape but most of the people I talk to say I should buy the new shape as its a much better car. Oh btw what do I want the car for ? , well not just the odd shopping trip I want it for pure fun factor !!

See my postings from evo URL listed below :-

Thanx
Old 05 February 2001, 11:54 PM
Andy Burrell
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Buy the new one and be in an exclusive club or buy an old one and everyone will still talk to you.

Choices Choices !!!!
Old 05 February 2001, 11:58 PM
Hunk
Scooby Regular

Talking

There we go again... it's not so much one car is that much better than the other but what do u want, a raw go-kart or a sporty Bentley? You can't go wrong with either one as long as you feel good, or?

so decide for yourself;

looks, power, noise, lotsa friends here
or
refinement, handling, brakes, exclusivity

(Btw Scoobysport has (or almost has) the most needed mods available. Hear and feel what another exhaust can do.)
Old 06 February 2001, 12:33 AM
Stupot
Scooby Regular

Cool

Do what youd prefer and forget what everyone else tells u Youll save money on the old shape and free funds for more mods. Plus the new one looks poo thats been dropped from a big height!

Stu
Old 06 February 2001, 12:49 AM
TAZ 2414
Scooby Regular

Cool

I thought the new shape was ugly to start with... hasving checked it out at the dealers I think I'd go for the new shape...

there is still enough power to give you a smile and then in a few months add an air filter and or exhaust so you can hear the fun too....

Does look a damned good car from the back and the headlights can be modded to look better..... take a look at this :
Old 06 February 2001, 01:00 AM
Gerg2
Scooby Regular

Cool

By the new shape...If you are worried about it being slow just mod it. Everyone mods the old ones to make them faster than they are anyway so what is the point here?

Over here APS systems have nearly completed a 240 kwt kit for the MY01....now that will truly smoke ! ! !
Unichip, flat shift kit, roller bearing turbo etc...ahhhhhhh drooooooool.
Old 06 February 2001, 08:49 AM
wacko
Scooby Regular

If you do go for new shape, would definitely try to get hold of replacement lights as per rally car.

Trending Topics

Old 06 February 2001, 09:47 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

If I were to buy a new car now, I would go for the MY01 WRX car, over the old shape. Unless I got a good deal on an STI6!!!
Old 06 February 2001, 09:56 AM
harj
Scooby Regular

New WRX anyday of the week!!
Old 06 February 2001, 11:02 AM
James Douglas
Scooby Regular

Ive got a new WRX and cant recommend it enough. I honestly dont think you'll notice the performance drop! And its new!!!

In 6 months time when there are more about and a PPP will be available it wont be treated with such contempt. People who slag it off now have either a) read magasines that tell them its crap and formed an opinion or b) Not driven one or seen it in the flesh

But i would like some new WRC headlights to replace the Corrola ones on there at the mo

James
Old 06 February 2001, 11:59 AM
adyhicut
Scooby Senior

Wink

I've got one too.

Great car.

Lots of mods coming out now. Contact Scoobysport they have a full (no cats) system available for it, a Leda suspension upgrade, 18" wheels etc.
Morette are doing a headlamp conversion, pictures are available at end of month.

I've got half an exhaust upgrade at the moment. Downpipe should be on next week, so should feel the same pull as the old car.

Hope this helps.

ady
Old 06 February 2001, 12:01 PM
Andy Burrell
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Hunk:
<B>There we go again... it's not so much one car is that much better than the other but what do u want, a raw go-kart or a sporty Bentley? You can't go wrong with either one as long as you feel good, or?

so decide for yourself;

looks, power, noise, lotsa friends here
or
refinement, handling, brakes, exclusivity and be Billy No Mates

(Btw Scoobysport has (or almost has) the most needed mods available. Hear and feel what another exhaust can do.)[/quote]

Old 06 February 2001, 01:15 PM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by harj:
<B>New WRX anyday of the week!! [/quote]

Agreed!
Old 06 February 2001, 04:51 PM
Airmiles
Scooby Regular

Wink

Well, I nipped into Lavender Hill at the w/e and they had 4 or 5 MY01s. I have to say it looks fine in the flesh (especially in blue). Do I think the interior's THAT much better? No.

Do I regret buying an MY00? Nope. Great car, great buzz, and I've had lots of fun already that I wouldn't have had if I'd waited.

OK - it's more refined - but as PERSONALLY I was looking at a scoob vs an S3, that would only tip the balance further in the scoobs favour.

FWIW, I don't think the new model makes the old one look dated, because the old one's more aggressive, and the new one's hardly cutting-edge design...
Old 06 February 2001, 08:21 PM
Chins
Scooby Regular

I'm in the same position as Maddy. The S4 just isnt the car for me.

Do I buy another well spec'd MY00 ?
Do I buy another P1 ?
or Do I go for the WRX01 ?

Took the MY01 for another blast at the weekend. With 5,000 miles on the clock it certainly doesnt feel slow and has a bit of Turbo lag as well - first MY01 with 2000 miles was tighter than a scotsmans wallet. I think that maybe these engines need 4-5000 miles on them before really delivering the goods. Back to back with my S4 it felt as quick.

Down B roads this car is more competent than any old shape scooby. Its brakes also have much better feel. The car brought a grin back to my face.

I think I'm going to go for the special edition unless some big discounts can be secured on the non bucket seat cars. I'll also go for the PPP as well. Yes I'll still miss the power of my old P1, but I think things have moved on.

With all the bits I'm sure the car will look like the WRC. Soon the MK1 will fade into the past.

Old 06 February 2001, 08:23 PM
spudgun
Scooby Regular

OLD ONE!
i had the same choice, and no matter if they strap a jet engine on the new one, its still an ugly dog, no matter what you do.
Old 06 February 2001, 10:20 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Ihad the same choice and went for an MY00 WRX import. Three reasons - 1) more powerful 2) Better looking IMHO 3) Fear of the unknown. Most (not all) new designed cars have niggling launch problems which are sorted after a few months but it could be annoying.

cheers

chrisp