Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Zero tolerance topic!

Search this Thread

Old 05 February 2001, 08:22 PM
steve McCulloch
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm looking for the topic on the new 'laws' laid down by the police re the excessive speeding

As Bob Rawle just told me they can do you for doing 71 on the motorway!

So much for reasonableness! - Me thinks I'd be disputing at the Magistrates
Old 05 February 2001, 08:30 PM
NIGE K
Scooby Regular

Hi Steve
This is where to find it.
Old 05 February 2001, 08:57 PM
steve McCulloch
Scooby Regular

Its disgraceful!!

Makes me want to think about voting for an alternate party - idiots!
Old 05 February 2001, 10:53 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Angry

Please read the proposal carefully - it is actually possible to reduce accidents to ZERO!

According to section 10.28, "Research has shown that for each 1mph reduction in average speed, accident frequency is cut by 5%". So all the we have to do is reduce motorway speed limits down to 50mph and nobody will get hurt! Research has proved this, so it must be true - indeed extrapolating further, if motorways are restricted to 20mph, perhaps other lives will also be saved _off_ the roads.

Of course this is all b*llocks, see
Old 06 February 2001, 12:06 PM
teknopete
Scooby Regular

Question

Just a thought but kinda related.

Why don`t they have stats specific to slow drivers ? U know the 1s I mean, u pass them thinking "there`s an accident waiting 2 happen", the farty that pulls outta a junction in front of u, the **** doing 40 on an A class road, the Sunday driver out practicing on a Sataurday hogging the outside lane of a dual carraigeway, the tractor driver causing a 10 car tailback that doesn`t pull into laybys 2 let every1 past.... the list goes on.

An why don`t u ever see plod pulling these
people?

Old 06 February 2001, 12:33 PM
Andrew Timmins
Scooby Regular

Wink

<Boomer>
if motorways are restricted to 20mph, perhaps other lives will also be saved _off_ the roads.

If we have to drive any slower one of two things will happen.

a) More drivers will die of natural causes before reaching their destination.

b) Bored drivers will **** their passengers and actually cause an increase in the population.

Members of the Labour Party shouldn't be allowed to travel at below 300 mph. According to their statistics we should have a Conservative majority in the commons before the end of the month.
Old 06 February 2001, 12:53 PM
Huxley
Scooby Regular

Angry

Personaly think the goverment should F*** **f
and Leave the poor motorist alone the only reason the target the motorist is that it doesn't cost to much to nick one (Stealth TAX) but it cost a lot more to catch a scumbag that nicks our pride and joys !!!!

I was looking at a book at the weekend and it was saying that the number of speed detection devices has risen and the number of accidents has increased so all this Bo****** about extra cameras for extra safety is a load af Crap.

So it looks like the more speed detection devices means THE MORE TAX THEY GET HMMM ?

And the new automated systems that are being intrduced means less cost on procesing and yet still more Tax for them.

As to the orignal post what happend to the 10% plus 3mph allowance on speed limits !!!!!!

P***** O** and fedup

Huxley
Old 06 February 2001, 02:53 PM
sgould
Scooby Regular

They are just picking on the motorist because its an easy way to make extra money.

Who cares about murderers, rapists and muggers. They all cost money to catch and prosecute. Lets just catch the poor motorist who is speeding by 1mph and may kill a fly or even a wasp.

Old 06 February 2001, 03:40 PM
RichS
Scooby Regular

Angry

pi$$es me off...
Old 06 February 2001, 04:19 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

I've said it before and i'll say it again.

We as motorists are seem as a soft target and an easy target when it comes to generating revinue for the government without any effort on their part.

Tax on fuel, road fund licence (since when has this been spent on the roads?), co car tax.

Rather than concentrate on the b**stards who knick our cars and injure/kill people, the idiots who speed around towns, drunk drivers, C**ts who drive without insurance, MOT, tax etc. ther government tar us all with the same brush (and lets face it we let 'cause we voted them in!)
they pick on the decent, law abiding people who they can get to with ease and without extra cost to themselves. Yes i know speeding is an offence however 75 on a motorway in a modern vheicle on modern roads is hardly the same as some looney ripping around at 50+ in a 30mph zone, worse still in a wreck of a car!

Getting to the point!
I will not vote for this government. They are taxing me out of existence, their policys on transport, the evironment, Policing, hospitals and schools suck!

Vauxhall car plant shut down - not suprising as cars cost so much over here.

Steel industry now biting the dust.

Transport - Take the train - Ha!

They do not live in the real world.

Ahh - time for my injection and a few hours in the rubber room!

Now i am not one to take the law into my own hands or break it but when the idiots in the ivory towers introduce stuff like this i will be the fitst in the queue at Halfords to get some 'new' (not necessarily my own) numberplates!

F*ck em!

NURSE!

[This message has been edited by Paul Habgood (edited 06 February 2001).]
Old 06 February 2001, 04:34 PM
JayDee
Scooby Regular

I don't think they do it for the money - I actauuly beleive they do it because they think it will make them , through seeming responsible, popular

Everyone would agree that the roads need to be "safer"

At the moment it seems 95% of motorists go through a year with no additional points, penalties, etc.

However I think if they really implement a zero tolerance policy, a lot more than 5% will get caught, and a substatntial number of them will, I hope, be floating voters.

Democracy in action

I certainly will not be voting Labour next time - and mainly because of their Transport and Road "safety" policies

JD
Old 06 February 2001, 07:26 PM
steve McCulloch
Scooby Regular

It really pis*ed me off last night when the police came on talkign about the accident on the M4 - and going on about excessive speed the lorries were probably doing!

We all know that the majority of accidents are down to lack of concentration and not speed

I dont blame the police so much its the people who do the legislation - the police just enfore total boll*cks - I'm sure they could use the resource more effectively elsewhere - just wish when I get done for speeding that they would'nt go on about how bad it is - I mean lecturing me for doing 85 mph on the motorway.

I love going to France - all the police I've gone past just dont care - everyone goes at well above the speed limit - and do they have more accidents - I doubt it

Why cant the government find some other means of revenue raising and stop annoying everyone!

Old 06 February 2001, 08:31 PM
SCOTTY
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

You cannot be prosecuted for 1mph over the speed limit! Absolutely not. What about speedo inaccuracy?

I was pulled for speeding in a 30 zone a few weeks ago at 37mph and was let off. He told me that he could prosecute at 35 in a 30.

He also told me that he was surprised I wasn't going faster in a car like this. What could I say?

Thanks officer

Scotty.
Old 06 February 2001, 08:55 PM
DAVE26
Scooby Regular

Talking

cops round my way was pulling me all the time. this 1 cop pulled me for the third time and i said to him "this must be harrasment, why u bothering me all the time, ive produced my docs, go catch some criminals" he looked at me and said be on your way. i had 2 do it, i did a propper take off and he couldnt do ****

the same cop told me i should go on the motorway to give it a good thrashing )

bye mr officer

[This message has been edited by DAVE26 (edited 06 February 2001).]
Old 06 February 2001, 09:36 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Unhappy

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by SCOTTY:
<B>You cannot be prosecuted for 1mph over the speed limit! Absolutely not. What about speedo inaccuracy?
[/quote]

Scotty, sadly YES YOU CAN!!

Speeding is an "absolute offence" - no arguments, no leeways, no "speedo error". As the law stands currently, 0.0000000001mph above the posted (or not posted, depending on circumstances) limit is AN OFFENCE.

In order to "help" the driver (well _that_ makes a refreshing change) speedos are _supposed_ to over-read, but you try to blame Ford/Vauxhall/whoever for your conviction. It is a one-sided (you lose) battle!!!!

mb