Sponsored by:

Powerstation - Stage 1 Suspension Package

Search this Thread

Old 06 March 2009, 10:43 PM
Jules_E
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Powerstation - Stage 1 Suspension Package

Last weekend, I finally got round to taking a trip up to Powerstation to have the following fitted to my car:

- stage 1 suspension package (whiteline front & rear adjustable roll bars anti-lift kit and a 4 wheel alignment for £460 + VAT);
- alloy drop links to replace the plastic OEM ones for £70 + VAT (I had intended to go for the steel ones, but was convinced to cough up a little more for the alloy ones, which do look at lot sturdier); and
- goodridge hoses, DS2500 pads and new standard front discs (all from Alyn at AS Performance at very reasonable prices).

I had done a fair bit of research before deciding on the above and had considered the stage 2 suspension package (stage 1 plus eibach springs), but decided against this to preserve the comforting clearance I currently have over London's many sleeping policemen. Even with the prior research though, I have to say that I was really quite nervous about the outcome, because although most posts on the mods I have just had done were positive, there were some who posted saying that there are problems with them around lots of extra NVH and even loss of steering feel.

However, I am pleased to say that I haven't experienced any such problems and the handling has been completely transformed. The chaps at Powerstation explained that they use the comfort bushings supplied by Whiteline for the ALK and perhaps it is thanks to that that I haven't noticed any discernible increase in NVH at all and the car feels utterly planted now. The first radical change I noticed was how stable the car felt on the motorway. I was shocked to see, on glancing down at the speedo, that I was travelling an awful lot fast than I thought I was (I'm not into top speeds), but the car felt so smooth and composed, it was like I was going 30 mph slower than I was. The chaps at Powerstation told me that the wheel alignment was a little out (toe settings at the back were trying to push the rear sideways and at the font I had negative camber on one wheel and positive on the other) and the difference that the fantastic job they did on the alignment made absolutely blew me away. It felt like a whole lot of resistance had been removed.

Having fairly quickly turned off the motorway, I soon came across a few roundabouts and twisty bits and again the difference in the feel of the car was incredible. It is so much flatter in the corners and the tyres feel like they're glued to the road. Whereas, before the mods, I really didn't like the feel of the car going through a few rapid changes in direction, e.g. through roundabouts, it's an absolute joy now.

I would like to say a big thank-you to the guys at Powerstation for the brilliant job they did and also for being so friendly and willing to answer the many questions I had.
Old 07 March 2009, 08:55 AM
Arkwright
Scooby Regular

Location: Happy that I'm back in a Scooby - but maybe I should have told the wife...!

Hi Jules What model of scooby have you had the above fitted to? You must be well happy with your investment well done
Old 07 March 2009, 10:05 AM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

What a fantastic ad' this would make for the boys at Powerstation.
Old 07 March 2009, 10:33 AM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

What setting do you have the bars on?
Sounds like you're happy then!!
Old 07 March 2009, 01:23 PM
Jules_E
Scooby Regular

I have an MY05 wrx with the PPP fitted. I love the car, but have to admit to a few pangs of jealousy seeing a couple of seriously quick scoobies at Powerstation for tuning. One chap had a jet black sti that he had done quite a bit of work to (mostly himself), which the rolling road confirmed was producing around 380bhp. I thought my car was pretty quick, but that thing must absolutely fly!

The ARBs were set on the middle setting, which I was told was what most people went for, at least for road use. I took my previous car onto the track a couple of times (a VX220T), but don't really see myself tracking the scooby, so the middle setting sounded fine to me.
Old 07 March 2009, 05:40 PM
Stevesbluewrx
Scooby Regular

Great stuff Jules.

Curtis is a legend with setting cars up to match your requirements.

I had a few bits and bobs added and wanted more. So went ahead with the Stage 3 plus a few other bits and bobs.

ARB and links are a must on the scoob.
Steve