Scooby Regular

Location: OLD MY53 STi @ 341bhp/349lbft -> NOW Evo 8 385bhp/380lbft
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good link.. thanks.. But I really wanna laugh at the result..hahaha
Old 04 March 2009, 11:54 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Let me guess - Focus is ace, STI is a wag of bank?

And the Megan Fox is in their to stop it looking like a Vs article.
Old 04 March 2009, 01:31 PM
Pete
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

RS is lovely though....
Old 04 March 2009, 01:31 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Without looking, the RS is amazing & the best car in the world, ever!?

TX.
Old 04 March 2009, 09:07 PM
jsfb
Scooby Regular

Thank god it doesnt rain much round my way and the roads are super smooth tarmac or my new STI just wouldnt be able to cope at all.
Old 04 March 2009, 09:19 PM
Japorter
Scooby Regular

Location: OLD MY53 STi @ 341bhp/349lbft -> NOW Evo 8 385bhp/380lbft

Old 07 March 2009, 03:46 AM
Steve001
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well that was a long read........i should have gone down to the ford dealers and got the sales brochure..hold on iv'e just read it

i did notice that they tested the best of what ford have to offer in hot hatch and the same for the renault. BUT and this is the point they only tested the base model of the sti. im sure they could have got hold of a 330S?? 4.5 to 60 - focus 5.7???

another thing WHY OH WHY did subaru make a hatch I HATE the impreza being refered to as a hot hatch

Last edited by Steve001; 07 March 2009 at 04:02 AM.
Old 08 March 2009, 12:06 AM
Woosh!
Scooby Regular

Location: Never out of the sh*t, it's only the depth that varies

Totally agree with above!!!!!!!!
Latest subaru is
From behind try and pick one out from most 'hatch', you can't
Old 08 March 2009, 03:55 AM
Boyakasha
Scooby Regular

When it comes to it they could have tested the RS Vs the STi RA-R Vs the R26 R but the STi RA-R was £33k new.

These cars are all in the same price bracket so it's a fair comparison. I hate the look of the new Subaru. I never wanted a hatchback, it's not as practicle as the old saloons/wagons and looks like evey other hatch out there.
Old 08 March 2009, 04:32 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

And yet a friend of mine who's been out and bought a new hatchback, after owning a Bugeye STi, then a Blobeye STi, says the hatch is actually quicker than either of his previous cars. He admits, it doesn't 'feel' as quick, but he has been repeatedly surprised when traveling regular routes that when he glances down at the speedo, he is always going 20-30mph faster than his old cars, yet never feels like it is. You could argue that this was also the case when Top Gear reviewed the new car alongside the Evo X, recording a lap time some 1.2s faster than the previous best by a WR1 (a mild special edition) and equalling the mighty Mitsi, whereas previously the Evo's had always beaten Scoobs (Evo 8 300 was 0.5s faster than the WR1). Many have long commented on the difference between Classics and New-age, with Classic fans preferring the rawness over refinement, even though it is almost always proven that the New-age cars are actually quicker, though might not feel it. I think the new car perpetuates that phenomenon.

Ugly, YES ! A mistake, YES ! In many ways. Slow ? I don't think so, but I haven't driven one as yet. Early reports from people who've driven the unofficial enhanced models such as Litchfields new Type 20 wax lyrical about its abilities, so maybe the new official Spec C's, RA's or whatever may re-ignite the passion, if we can all get over the looks. I agree that going hatch was a truly bad move, and I was especially dismayed to see the frameless windows go, but I can't dismiss them completely. They may yet excite us all with a blistering model, or a facelift which will revive interest like the Blob did after the Bug fiasco.

The FRS may yet be another nail in the Scooby coffin as disgruntled enthusiasts desert the marque, or simply die off in these harsh economic times. If it manages to post a stonking lap time when TG get one, and in the hands of mere mortal general public builds a good reputation (which won't be hard as RS Fords already have cult status), then it will take something very special for Subaru to recover their market position IMHO, but it is certainly possible. If the magical 'revo-knuckle' and active LSD have tamed FWD and made it as fast on a challenging road as a good 4WD system, as we are all led to believe, then maybe not.

Last edited by corradoboy; 08 March 2009 at 04:37 AM.
Old 08 March 2009, 11:15 AM
jsfb
Scooby Regular

The problem with the FRS is always going to be traction, ford couldnt afford to develop and sell it with 4WD. I have had plenty of 250bhp vauxhalls over the years with LSD and trick suspension and all have been awful to drive and slippy wet scottish borders B roads. The wife has the new corsa VXR and during the recent snow it didnt even leave the drive. So i would not even consider buying a 300bhp FWD car. The debate about the shape of the new STI is quite funny, same debate every time they change the shape, all i would say to anybody slagging the new STI is drive on in Sport sharp and you will sell our kidney for one.