Sponsored by:

Impreza classics

Search this Thread

Old 06 March 2009, 07:07 PM
scoobybreaker
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Impreza classics

Before i start this is not intended to be a debate its just something iv noticed.

and wondered if any one else has. after reading a few threads on different clubs there seems to be a few owners off newer imprezas. Thinking That if you own A classic wrx or lower model then you are a "chav" or "boy racer" etc just dont think that it should be like this?

Has anyone else noticed this?
Old 06 March 2009, 07:11 PM
Pete
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I,d take no notice fella, Classics are a great car imo, i guess they,re making these comments because classics can now be picked up for a bag of toffee and when this happens you,ll get more buyers that can afford to purchase such a car....
Old 06 March 2009, 07:20 PM
scoobybreaker
Scooby Regular

Im not all that bothered by it to be fair I own and work with classics by choice. i could if wanted own any other model but i like classics to be fair i think they will have a following for a very long time to come. But to some people they might feel a bit belittled by some comments made?
Old 06 March 2009, 07:26 PM
Pete
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by scoobybreaker
Im not all that bothered by it to be fair I own and work with classics by choice. i could if wanted own any other model but i like classics to be fair i think they will have a following for a very long time to come. But to some people they might feel a bit belittled by some comments made?

They,ve probably got small ***** the guys making the comments..

Newage cars are superb too though, especially the JDM cars, well imo anyway having owned an 06 Hawkeye Spec C too...
Old 06 March 2009, 07:34 PM
scoobybreaker
Scooby Regular

Whats wrong with haveing a small ****???!!! eh eh eh lol. yeah your probably right buddy
Old 06 March 2009, 08:00 PM
New_scooby_04

I own a humble UK turbo... Albeit tuned to 340bhp

If anyone calls me a chav....and it's not happened yet, I'll reply: "Actually, it's Dr. Chav"

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, the trade have a saying: "before a car becomes a classic, it becomes cheap." So, yes, some examples will fall into the hands of undesirables, but a car is not responsible for those who drive it!

The same thing will happen to the new ages, only quicker because of the current performance car climate!

Drive the car you like; sod the image, quite fankly!
Old 06 March 2009, 08:06 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

Where have you noticed these posts?
Old 06 March 2009, 08:10 PM
scoobybreaker
Scooby Regular

I dont want to be "witch hunting" there are a few on here and some on some other clubs mate
Old 06 March 2009, 08:20 PM
ze4s
Scooby Regular

It wouldn't bother me in the slightest if my car was classed as chav.

Personally i would never buy a classic as i hate the look of them, apart from that there a great car.

Those slagging a car off are usually the saxo boys that would never be able to afford to run such a car.

These things go round in circles, first it was novas & ford xri's then saxos now Subaru's, no doubt the vxr will be the next one
Old 06 March 2009, 08:24 PM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

My sis actually used the word chav when I told her what I was buying. I then had to break down the difference between a good classic and a bad classic, and that the one I will own will be neither cheap or chav!
She still didn't seem convinced, but I could give a monkeys nuts!

There are alot of classics out there with 1000's upon 1000's of miles on the clock and have got all sorts of ****e hanging and dragging off them.

Like I have always said, the best and cheapest way to keep a classic car looking mint........ A good Clean!!

Who cares what 'some' people think about our classics..... they are secretly jealous of our beatiful shiny 'well aged' cars.
Old 06 March 2009, 08:26 PM
scooby-tc
Scooby Regular

I own both and dont really have a preference either way.Both cars are superb
Old 06 March 2009, 08:27 PM
scoobybreaker
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ze4s
It wouldn't bother me in the slightest if my car was classed as chav.

Personally i would never buy a classic as i hate the look of them, apart from that there a great car.

Those slagging a car off are usually the saxo boys that would never be able to afford to run such a car.

These things go round in circles, first it was novas & ford xri's then saxos now Subaru's, no doubt the vxr will be the next one
Fair play for being honust bud. I think subarus got ugly and lost there way after the classic but thats just my opinun but then the hawk eye is one sexy looking car
Old 06 March 2009, 08:35 PM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

I am hoping when I drive to my parents and take my sis out that she changes her opinion!
Old 06 March 2009, 08:40 PM
ze4s
Scooby Regular

Fair play for being honust bud. I think subarus got ugly and lost there way after the classic but thats just my opinun but then the hawk eye is one sexy looking car
Yep ive noticed a lot of classic owners arnt really a fan of the newage bar the hawkeye.

Im the opposite i only like the blobeye and hawkeye.
All down to taste, i love driving the old 911 but my god its one ugly motor
Old 06 March 2009, 08:51 PM
scoobybreaker
Scooby Regular

I think its just one off those things mate. I know that 90% off impreza owners will let another impreza out off a junction etc wether it be a L reg sport or a 08 plate turbo! its just didnt want to think there was a divide as in "you own a shi**y classic" or "least my mum and dad didnt buy my car" etc etc lol
Old 06 March 2009, 09:04 PM
Ginge !
Scooby Regular

i think the classic is a chavvy looking car,,,, its cheap enough for the peasants to purchase too with a few weeks dole money which dont help the case for em

but,,, they do drive well and thats the only reason why i own one and also aint sold mine yet

though the price of 996's,,,,,, soooo soooo soooo soooo cheep for the money !!! but is it more fun ?
Old 06 March 2009, 09:20 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Same thing happened to the fast Fords and even the lowly 205 GTi. I like it now as it has passed that chav stage and seeing them anyway other than a track is a rarity. I often get nice comments on the condition of mine from older petrolheads around the 35-40 age group.

Plus, it's appreciating too

I would still rather own a classic Impreza though (or a Subaru powered 205)
Old 06 March 2009, 09:26 PM
Keith Collings
Scooby Regular

I drive a Classic and my son is older than your average Chav

Chavs may get their hands on Classics because they are cheap and they can and hang fluffy dice from the mirror, but some of us drive them because they are great cars and we know it
Old 06 March 2009, 09:28 PM
scoobybreaker
Scooby Regular

205 gtis didnt really go to the chavs properly tho did they? they are cool cars but then so is my champion gte (in shed will be waiting abit longer till i put her back to what she should be!)
Old 06 March 2009, 11:27 PM
dlatch
Scooby Regular

don't fit angel eye lights and all the other bling then a classic won't look chav

or even better buy a wagon which makes it a sensible practical car
Old 06 March 2009, 11:31 PM
thesyn
Scooby Regular

You people are too sensitive, don't care what other ***** think!
Old 07 March 2009, 09:22 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its not the car thats a chav, its the way the owner acts and does the car up that makes it a "chavvy" car, this can include brand new cars as well as older vehicles of every make.

Now as for the newage/classic debate, i have owned 2 classics (1 uk turbo and 1 JDM type R) and one new age Spec C, sorry but the new age car is far better, even though i love my type R its not really a match in any department as they actually thought about what was going into the new age cars (better clutch, better gearbox, better brakes etc) and for looks, the new age is a nicer looking car, especially the hawkeye

Tony
Old 07 March 2009, 09:37 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

205 gtis didnt really go to the chavs properly tho did they? they are cool cars but then so is my champion gte (in shed will be waiting abit longer till i put her back to what she should be!)
They did really. In the late 90s they would appear on the front cover of Max Power and the other god awful magazines with all manner of tat stuck on them.

You would then see them around town in some shocking states.

Now 95% of the ones you see on the road look mint and are worth more than some Imprezas.

This will happen to classic Imprezas. The tat will slowly be wittled away and the standard minters will be the only ones you'll see in the main.

The biggest problem with Imprezas is the shear number of them - its the XR3i of the 90s.

As for newage/classic I'm sure a good newage would be a better car than a classic - it has to be. However in the real world the only time I had cause to see how my mapped classic would cope with a standard blob STI it couldn't get away - overtook me in a 30 passing my lowly old POS chav mobile - it wasn't and he didn't

Last edited by EddScott; 07 March 2009 at 09:41 AM.
Old 07 March 2009, 09:44 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

As said it's not the car itself, but what the owner does to it. Flamer kits, neons, Lexus lights, angel eyes, Fast and Furious spoilers etc. all go to turn a purposeful looking sports saloon into a Chavtastic mess.

Of course the way some of them are driven these days tarnishes the brand too.

Eventually the tat will be scrapped and we will be left with only good examples and the brand will move to 'old skool' status like the 205GTIs and Mk1 /2 Golf GTIs etc.
Old 07 March 2009, 09:53 AM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
Its not the car thats a chav, its the way the owner acts and does the car up that makes it a "chavvy" car, this can include brand new cars as well as older vehicles of every make.

Tony
Spot on. The owner makes the car "Chav" by plastering it in tat from the Poundshop.
A car is a car.....
Old 07 March 2009, 10:25 AM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Each to their own, a car is "chav" ONLY because of what the driver does to it !

imho

dunx

P.S. Many New-Age driver's don't do the Scooby "wave", no heart, no soul, just wealthy poseurs....
Old 07 March 2009, 10:59 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by dunx
Many New-Age driver's don't do the Scooby "wave", no heart, no soul, just wealthy poseurs....
I got a wave from a new age owner before i had chance to wave back and i use to wave as a new age owner, the classic owners sort of looked at me baffled, oh well

Tony
Old 07 March 2009, 02:15 PM
Ste98Turbo
Scooby Regular

Am 34 and own a classic Type RA by choice because i love classic rally cars, whats a chav btw? cant keep up with all these new terms

Last edited by Ste98Turbo; 07 March 2009 at 02:16 PM.
Old 07 March 2009, 02:29 PM
Keith Collings
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ste98Turbo
Am 34 and own a classic Type RA by choice because i love classic rally cars, whats a chav btw? cant keep up with all these new terms
Chav

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Chav, Chava or Charva is a derogatory term applied to certain young people in the United Kingdom. The stereotypical image of a chav is a white aggressive teen or young adult, of working class background, who wears branded sports and casual clothing, who often fights and engages in petty criminality, and is often assumed to be unemployed or in a low paid job. The term may originate from the Romani language. In its English form, the term is generally derogative, and has appeared in mainstream dictionaries in 2005.

But no mention of driving a Classic

Quick Reply: Impreza classics