ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Buyers beware another ify car on the market

Search this Thread

Old 25 February 2009, 09:55 PM
C_RHYS
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buyers beware another ify car on the market

I went ot view this car on Monday and I would air on the side of cauition if you go to view it.

Auto Trader UK - SUBARU Impreza 2.0 WRX STi

I found the following wrong with it.

1) They took me out for a drive in it, the guy talked about chasing a Lotus Excige the other day in it.
2) He cained the **** of it with me in the car then did it again with my mate in the car.
3)One of the 3 previous owners kept there dog in the car, I found lots of dog hair.
4) Had Continentals on the front, 1 Pontza on the NSR and a Dunlop sport on the OSR
5) Found a half full bottle of GTX oil in the boot, but it was too thin for these engines.
6) Found an oil filter box in the boot with external bolts and plastic moulding clips in, Rear bumper seemed a little loose, no obvious signs of rear end crash.
7) Prodrive mud flaps on the front, STI on the rears and the rears looked like universal ones cut to fit.
8) Front pads pretty low
9) Car had been warmed up before I got there.
10) Knocking from the front on full lock, we believe drive shafts but could be rack.
11) Clutch was biting slightly high, not too bad tho.
12)Scratches on both wing mirrors, OS A Pillar, OS Wing, Boot Lid. Not bad but I picked them up easily.
13) Scratches on the glove box cover
14)All 4 alloys had been curbed, easily noticeable, enough that you would want them refurbed.
15) Rear Diff had oil down the face of it.
16) The add originally stated that the car had 18's, only has 17's i asked about this and he said he didn't have all the cars details when he placed the ad. The ad got changed later in the day.
17) Car has got 48k on the clock, they said that it had had the cambelt just done before they got it in. no 50k service stamp in the book and no reciept for the work.
18) Car is advertised as a Prodrive but they dont have the certificate. It does have a red y-pipe but prodrive not written on the pipe. I does have the prodrive b/box.
19) OS Headlight has a slight crack in it.
20) They try to rush me a lot while looking at it.
21) They are a trader but wouldn't let me drive the car, said they don't have insurance for it.
22) When I asked to look at the paperwork to check the vin no.s etc. 1 of the 2 guys took the car to go and pick another buyer up from the station while i was looking at the paperwork inside so I never got to check the numbers.
23) The kept telling me how they don't deal with cars like this, how it was a one off selling it for a friend, but when i was out with him in it he said they have had one nicked from the place, and one of the guys he worked with got car jacked for 1 with 4 lads in the car so that's why they only take 1 at a time out.

The guy I was left with started to push me for a deal, saying this other guy was at the station and coming to see the car. I told him verything that was wrong with the car and told him I wasn't going to offer him good money for it so I would leave it.
He pushed and pushed for me to make an offer so I did, a low one. He then got the **** and told me that the car was fine, that the drive shafts etc. were ok and that he would only knock 300 for tyres. He aslo told me that a guy turned up the day before with all the money in cash but they couldn't sell because they didn't have the paper work yet. Plus their phone has been going mad with calls about it so they tell me.

A long post I know guys, just don't want anyone else to waste half a day of their lives going to see this car.

Last edited by C_RHYS; 25 February 2009 at 10:04 PM.
Old 25 February 2009, 10:01 PM
Alarmeng
Scooby Regular

Which car and where is it being sold fella.

Gaz
Old 25 February 2009, 10:02 PM
crammy
Scooby Regular

do you have a link to the car or maybe im missing something. dont know what car it is mate
Old 25 February 2009, 10:05 PM
C_RHYS
Scooby Regular

Sorry guys forgot the link, post edited, link now the.
Old 25 February 2009, 10:11 PM
GPD
Scooby Regular

Sound like a right bunch of fellas...with one dodgy *** car.
Old 25 February 2009, 10:16 PM
crammy
Scooby Regular

just done a check on the plate and its coming up as a WR1
Old 25 February 2009, 10:20 PM
M444GY
Former Sponsor

Location: MSOCs tyre and ROTA wheel dealer .Ruisliptyres@gmail.com

sounds like a ringer
Old 25 February 2009, 10:23 PM
C_RHYS
Scooby Regular

Dodgy as f**k then good job I walked away, glad they didn't take my offer of 7,500 then.

I had a mate of mine who works for VW run the plate through an HPI check which came back clear but I didn't ask him to check what car it should be attached too. I'll make sure I do that next time cheers crammy.
Old 25 February 2009, 10:31 PM
crammy
Scooby Regular

your welcome mate...and thats a trader. the dodgy *******s.
Old 25 February 2009, 11:07 PM
C_RHYS
Scooby Regular

2005 (05) SUBARU Impreza 2.0 WRX STi grey metallic on eBay, also, Subaru, Cars, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 04-Mar-09 20:00:00 GMT)

Found it on ebay as well now.
Old 25 February 2009, 11:23 PM
wrx-maniac-22
Scooby Newbie

Really appreciate posts like these good of you to take some of your time out to potentially help someone else,nice one.Scooby owners on the whole seem pretty cool good to be part of the tribe.
Old 25 February 2009, 11:27 PM
jimmy_wrxsti
Scooby Regular

The engine is the full STI Prodrive ECU upgraded version, producing an astounding and frankly stunning 340bhp
Yeah ok!
Old 25 February 2009, 11:31 PM
WRX_SWRT
Scooby Regular

thats wierd bout the wr1 bit my 05 sti comes up as that on insurance quotes and the like dunno why lol
Old 25 February 2009, 11:35 PM
WRX_SWRT
Scooby Regular

heres one for you are the seats in it not the ones that were fitted to eu import sti`s with the extra bolster thought uk ones had no middle bolster?

did it have the alarm sensors on the a pillars?
Old 25 February 2009, 11:35 PM
scoobyschef
Scooby Regular

walk away and smile

jim
Old 25 February 2009, 11:44 PM
C_RHYS
Scooby Regular

I was very happy i left this one Jim

Yes it did have the sensors on the pillars
Old 26 February 2009, 07:33 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Mr Rhys, is that your postcode on the bottom of the advert? If so, I suggest its removed

Excellent write up too, sound like typical rogue traders with a shed of a car.
Old 26 February 2009, 10:37 AM
scooby_will
Scooby Regular

hey mate i had very simlar to this when i was looking for a classic impreza, i was up in burton on trent on a course and was looking on the net and found a garage around 20 miles from where i was staying, so jumped in the car and went up there, got and looked a dodgy place to start with, all the cars were under 1k apart from this impreza which was about 2800, it was a little bit dark but i thought well im here i may as well look at it, looked around and generally looked ok, was a black aparent uk turbo 2000 1996 with around 80k on it, started it up all seemed fine, when i asked him to look at the paper work he said o we havent got much for it and he wasnt joking, just the v5 form, i asked him if it was a uk turbo and he was saying yeh yeh it is mate, then phoned his mate up and asked him as it was aparently his car, was saying yeh its had all this and that done, under the bonnet was mucky and only thing i could see it having done was a nur spec exhaust, O and forgot to say it was a wrx as well, had jap everything all over it lol. I told him i would come up during the next day to look at it in the light and he said well you will have to be quick i got people asking for it everyday.

Went back next day and glad i did, in the light every panel and i mean every panel had deep key scratches in it, all the seats were ripped and badly marked, the engine was even worse state than before and i also noticed the dash panel by the gauges had been tampered with i.e butchered so i reckon it had been clocked. Told the bloke all the problems and got told if i didnt like the car i should simply f**k off as he had other buyers waiting for it, to which i told him you can go f**k off and your lucky i havent got anyone else with me.

I couldnt believe someone who is supposed to be a trader could tell me this and have this attitude, he was an asian version of mr t i have never seen so much gold on someone, even his teeth.

There are some dodgy people out there but some good ones as well, just got to shop around!!
Old 26 February 2009, 10:50 AM
cossie-nutter
Scooby Regular

Looks like you missed out on a right bargain! AFPMSL!!!

Perhaps we should ALL call them and waste there time as after all "there" phones haven't stopped ringing so they say! LOL

Funny how it's still for sale as the guy at the station is there with all the cash! Typical sales blag!

Last edited by cossie-nutter; 26 February 2009 at 10:52 AM.
Old 26 February 2009, 12:21 PM
ice643
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scooby_will
hey mate i had very simlar to this when i was looking for a classic impreza, i was up in burton on trent on a course and was looking on the net and found a garage around 20 miles from where i was staying, so jumped in the car and went up there, got and looked a dodgy place to start with, all the cars were under 1k apart from this impreza which was about 2800, it was a little bit dark but i thought well im here i may as well look at it, looked around and generally looked ok, was a black aparent uk turbo 2000 1996 with around 80k on it, started it up all seemed fine, when i asked him to look at the paper work he said o we havent got much for it and he wasnt joking, just the v5 form, i asked him if it was a uk turbo and he was saying yeh yeh it is mate, then phoned his mate up and asked him as it was aparently his car, was saying yeh its had all this and that done, under the bonnet was mucky and only thing i could see it having done was a nur spec exhaust, O and forgot to say it was a wrx as well, had jap everything all over it lol. I told him i would come up during the next day to look at it in the light and he said well you will have to be quick i got people asking for it everyday.

Went back next day and glad i did, in the light every panel and i mean every panel had deep key scratches in it, all the seats were ripped and badly marked, the engine was even worse state than before and i also noticed the dash panel by the gauges had been tampered with i.e butchered so i reckon it had been clocked. Told the bloke all the problems and got told if i didnt like the car i should simply f**k off as he had other buyers waiting for it, to which i told him you can go f**k off and your lucky i havent got anyone else with me.

I couldnt believe someone who is supposed to be a trader could tell me this and have this attitude, he was an asian version of mr t i have never seen so much gold on someone, even his teeth.

There are some dodgy people out there but some good ones as well, just got to shop around!!
your lucky he didnt call the A-team,he must have seen jaws from the Bond movies with the teeth he had.
Old 26 February 2009, 02:48 PM
tbtstt
Scooby Regular

As wrx-maniac-22 said: thanks for taking the time out to post this information. As someone who is looking at buying a Subaru (an '05 STi!) shortly, its nice to see warnings like this in advance.

Cheers! (and I hope the next car you look at is better! )
Old 26 February 2009, 04:18 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Bloody hell mate, looks like you got off lightly!!! Imagine some poor sod who dont know anything about cars and buys the thing!!!
Old 26 February 2009, 04:38 PM
Ianm1983
Scooby Regular

if someone who doesnt know anything about cars goes out and spends thousands of pounds on a car without checking anything then they get what they deserve imo

even people not into cars know it ca be dodgy ground and has been for years, how these people still get away with it is beyond me
Old 27 February 2009, 11:03 AM
SPEN555
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scooby_will

With that description as soon as he appeared I would have done a U turn and not wasted my time. Did he have a tracksuit on
Old 27 February 2009, 01:23 PM
Gary C
Scooby Regular

It really annoys me that even big dealers can't be trusted.

Went to look at a EVO V a few years ago on sale for £18,000. Fantastic car, perfect in every way.....but, the vin plate was missing and a bit of alloy plate had been rivited over the top of the chassis number.

An obvious stolen car, on sale at BOC in Bolton. As soon as I noticed the plate, apes started appearing and I made a quick exit.

Really puts me off buying an expensive second hand car
Old 27 February 2009, 01:31 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

The photo's look like they were taken at the White Waltham Airfied?

A big lesson here for everyone - if in ANY doubt whatsoever WALK AWAY!! There are 1,000's of these available ........................ no need to buy any old tat!
Old 27 February 2009, 01:47 PM
Mark'sWRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SunnySideUp
The photo's look like they were taken at the White Waltham Airfied?
Not surprising, since they are based on the Grove Park estate, a few hundred yards from the airfield. Used to work on that estate and plane watch many years ago.
Old 27 February 2009, 01:50 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

I used to work on the Airfield in the early 70's ..... MLAviation (who have long since gone).

The Proffessionals filmed there many times ... I would go out and watch Bogie and Boil racing their Capri's and Granada's around which shooting out the windows! Those were the days!
Old 27 February 2009, 06:04 PM
Mark'sWRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SunnySideUp
I used to work on the Airfield in the early 70's ..... MLAviation (who have long since gone).

The Proffessionals filmed there many times ... I would go out and watch Bogie and Boil racing their Capri's and Granada's around which shooting out the windows! Those were the days!
And I learnt to drive on that airfield. So many people used it for that, that they now have a 'No Learners' sign at the entrance.
Old 27 February 2009, 06:08 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

I had a 3 car race along the runway there in the early 70's !!!

I had a 2litre Cortina MK3 GT and pronounced that it was the fastest car in the car park ...... a couple of kids took exception so we lined up for a blast, 3 abreast! ....... I wish I had the Impreza then!