ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Problems with new car :-(

Search this Thread

Old 24 February 2009, 10:14 PM
snerkler
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems with new car :-(

Just got my MY06 STI tonight and there's a couple of niggles :-( Firstly there was some slight cosmetic damage on the rear bumper that they promised to fix, this hasn't been done

Secondly when setting off with full lock or nearly full lock on there's a knocking and juddering which feels like it's coming from one of the axles :-/ It doesn't do it if coasting with full lock, only setting off. Any idea what this could be?
Old 24 February 2009, 10:19 PM
phil_wrx
Scooby Regular

have u made sure dccd is switched to auto or fully open as this makes a clunking noise,
Old 24 February 2009, 10:26 PM
snerkler
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by phil_wrx
have u made sure dccd is switched to auto or fully open as this makes a clunking noise,
Nope not checked as not played about with it. Lit up as auto on dashboard. Will check the button in the morning though
Old 24 February 2009, 10:39 PM
greatgonzo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by snerkler
Just got my MY06 STI tonight and there's a couple of niggles :-( Firstly there was some slight cosmetic damage on the rear bumper that they promised to fix, this hasn't been done

Secondly when setting off with full lock or nearly full lock on there's a knocking and juddering which feels like it's coming from one of the axles :-/ It doesn't do it if coasting with full lock, only setting off. Any idea what this could be?
Hi mate
As for the cosmetic damage you will have to stand firm and demand that they do the work, Confront the sales man who you dealt with. If you still get no joy ask for the manager and if that doesn't work Subaru customer care are very helpful.
Now the juddering you feel is the diffs there is nothing wrong with them it just happens some times there is a thread explaining the reasons on SN some where! If you dial the **** so the light is green when using a lot of lock it should not happen. there is a section in the hand book that explains some of the strange noises that come from the diffs.
Hope this helps mate
Old 24 February 2009, 10:41 PM
phil_wrx
Scooby Regular

takes some getting used to the clunking diffs
Old 24 February 2009, 10:42 PM
bluenosewrx
Scooby Regular

Its deffo the diffs mate, not to worry on that one. however make sure you get the cosmetic stuff done no matter what delays they say,lol

Mac
Old 24 February 2009, 11:23 PM
stuart2008sti
Scooby Regular

Mine has the same noise last month rear diff replaced faulty locked up driving at 70mph,this month centre diff replaced faulty and the front diff is making a noise so will need that changed as well,think the rear diff locking up has caused problems to the drive train, hope this is not the case with yours. the joys of motoring.
Old 25 February 2009, 01:22 AM
MowbrayWRX
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by stuart2008sti
Mine has the same noise last month rear diff replaced faulty locked up driving at 70mph,this month centre diff replaced faulty and the front diff is making a noise so will need that changed as well,think the rear diff locking up has caused problems to the drive train, hope this is not the case with yours. the joys of motoring.
I bet thats sent him to bed knowing that all is well with the world. He will be sleeping like a top without a single worry now.

As you say, the joys of motoring, and asking for an answer to a problem on here.

Lifes great, but it can suck at times.
Old 25 February 2009, 07:03 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MowbrayWRX
I bet thats sent him to bed knowing that all is well with the world. He will be sleeping like a top without a single worry now.

As you say, the joys of motoring, and asking for an answer to a problem on here.

Lifes great, but it can suck at times.
True, but it's a fact that these cars are not bombproof like they once were. Amongst other things (a lot of other things) the rear diff went on my 2003 STI at 64K (car always serviced) i.e. 4K out of warranty and of course Subaru said it was unheard of. Maybe they should read Scoobynet eh? Back in a proper Scoob now
Old 25 February 2009, 08:53 AM
snerkler
Scooby Regular

Ok so after reading the first half of the posts I was quite reassured, now after reading the last few I'm a bit worried :-/ If it is normal is this something on the latter saloon sti's then as I didn't get anything like this on my 2004 sti? My old sti didn't have the manual adjust though.
Cheers, Toby
P.S. The cosmetic stuff WILL get sorted, Ill make sure of it. Just a pain in the **** and a huge disappointment when I've been so looking forward to getting the new car :-(
Old 25 February 2009, 10:57 AM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

You're not having much luck are you mate. The garage doesn't sound the best to me. I'm glad i don't have DCCD. It's just another gizmo to cause problems. Poor show though for not getting the bumper fixed.
Old 25 February 2009, 11:55 AM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by snerkler
Ok so after reading the first half of the posts I was quite reassured, now after reading the last few I'm a bit worried :-/ If it is normal is this something on the latter saloon sti's then as I didn't get anything like this on my 2004 sti? My old sti didn't have the manual adjust though.
Cheers, Toby
P.S. The cosmetic stuff WILL get sorted, Ill make sure of it. Just a pain in the **** and a huge disappointment when I've been so looking forward to getting the new car :-(
As said, it's all the do with the DCCD diff which only became standard on UK STI's from 05> (WR1 aside) and completely normal. Take a look through your drivers manual as it's covered in there IIRC..

Don't worry about it, regardless of the odd bad story on the whole the drivetrain is very solid..

However, welcome to the paranoid world that is owning a subaru and being a member of SN..lol..!
Old 25 February 2009, 12:09 PM
snerkler
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GazTheHat
You're not having much luck are you mate. The garage doesn't sound the best to me. I'm glad i don't have DCCD. It's just another gizmo to cause problems. Poor show though for not getting the bumper fixed.
To be honest the last 2 cars I've bought I've had problems with the dealers, are there any good ones out there?

Just had another look around the car and got a few more niggles. Both nearside (passenger side) wheels have huge scuffs on them, more like gouges. When I looked at the condition of the wheels when I first saw the car I didn't notice these and so I believe they've happened between then and the car being delivered. Is there any way I can prove that they weren't there before and so get the dealer to sort it?

And finally I asked them to take the mudflaps off as they were red and i din't like them, in doing so they've damaged the black plastic trims where the brackets fit into the wheel arch :-/

The joys of buying used cars eh? You would have thought an authorised dealer would be better than this though I feel like I'm moaning too much, but at the end of the day I don't think I should have to put up with these things
Old 25 February 2009, 12:41 PM
ColiNThESTI
Scooby Regular

your right you shouldn't but you also shouldn't have driven it off the forecourt either in that state lesson learned the hard way
Old 25 February 2009, 12:57 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

As Colin said. The first mistake was driving off of the forecourt with the car in that state. Now there is no way to prove that you didn't scuff the alloys yourself.

On the bodywork front, speak to the sales guy who you dealt with.
Old 25 February 2009, 02:05 PM
Soobmeister
Scooby Regular

I would advise you voice your concerns with the selling dealer give them the opportunity to solve them for you. I would suggest the salesman first and if he doesn't sort then the sales manager etc etc. I'm sure they will sort if you give them the opportunity.
Old 25 February 2009, 08:35 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Not un-heard of for people to have a "perfect" set of wheels/tyres for viewing, and bung the original ones back on once sold !

imho

dunx
Old 25 February 2009, 08:46 PM
snerkler
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ColiNThESTI
your right you shouldn't but you also shouldn't have driven it off the forecourt either in that state lesson learned the hard way
True and normally I wouldn't, but the car was delivered to me. Plus I asked the guy who I was dealing with before he came up, and he told me it was. And to top it all off the guy who sold it to me was the owner of the dealership, and it's an official subaru dealer. Shows you can't take anyone's word