Sponsored by:

WRX & Sti 7 haters...What's going on???

Search this Thread

Old 22 February 2002, 08:37 PM
Jools
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

Why do so many people hate the WRX & the new Sti so much... What is going on here I ask fellow enthusiasts; Are we good old die hards...or are we people who like to gang up and pick on the few...do we just hate change...do we just write a load of crap on here about something we know very little about...or do we just not know what we are talking about- period.
Hmmm???

I have a P-Sti 7 with 2500 miles on it already. I have two friends with P1's and we have all been out to play...and we play hard. Just ask anyone who has been out with us on the West Coast of Scotland tours that we do every year and the many track days we all attend. We are not racing drivers, and don’t claim to be, but we do use the cars to their limits, especially on the track. (Which I have been on twice already with my P-Sti, along with the P1’s)

On twisty B roads the P-Sti is proving to be much more of a car than the P1’s...It hauls you through corners, when the P1 still wants to go straight ahead...and stops o so much better too. One of the P1’s mentioned has a Tarox big brake upgrade, full de-cat system and a dam fast driver to boot. My P-Sti has the standard two mid sections and back box removed already. (1 cat gone and 1 cat still in the down pipe)

Over several consistent runs from 0 to ton-30 the de-cated P1 was never more than two car lengths in front of me. From ton back to 0 out-braked it every single time (by far more than two car lengths I may add). Now consider this; where do we think the P1 will I will have a fully de-cated P-Sti 7?

Come on people see the light here! The P1 is a hell of a car and I mean one hell of a car. Wanted to buy one so many times my wife was fed up of hearing about it! Told me go and by one, just to keep me quite many times. I have done several thousands miles in my mates one, when he is overseas working and I have also followed it for several thousands of miles as well.(In my moded MY99 all over the dam place). However, I am glad I held out for the P-Sti 7. What we have here are two different cars, which will suit slightly different needs; I’m referring to 4 doors, 2 doors, kids, no kids, quite inside, not quite inside, etc.

When it comes down to two fully de-cated cars…I simply would not split hairs over it…nor slag off either car. But don’t assume for a minute that the P1 will show the Sti a clean pair of heals...no danger of that at all!

People need to drive the Sti 7 on the same roads you drive every day and a few times too...not just on the road for a blast and then back to the fore court with a salesman riding shot-gun. How many people out there who have test driven an Sti7 and found it's limits...or knows it limits other than accelerating up through the gear box...and we pass judgement on it so soon? When you have driven one to and on the limits, then come and pass judgement on the new car. And by the way I still prefer the shark like lines of the P1, but the Sti is like a red headed step-child; You know its got real fire in their somewhere...and you can’t help but start to love it.

The following cross section of Scooby drivers have been out in mine already (And I don't mean just round the block;-How else do you cover 2500 miles since 31st Jan?); 3 x P1 owners, 1 x PPP RB5 owner, 1 x PPP UK MY99 owner, 1 x Sti 5 owner, 1 x UK MY00 owner and 1 x moded Terzo owner...And they all loved it! Out of the 8 mentioned, 3 have placed orders and 2 are going to real soon.

I rest my case...

Old 22 February 2002, 08:53 PM
FreeT
Scooby Regular

Arrow

Who hates it, who cares - like most of the sensible posts it is all down to opinion, some just slag it cos of the looks others like me haven't driven it but love it.

Iis this going anywhere?
Old 25 February 2002, 12:09 AM
Miles
Scooby Regular

Jools, that's a good comparsion between the new STi and the P1. Even better because I've met the cars involved

Also, as someone who was not keen on the new model car, when I saw yours, for the first time it was like "Wow, nice motor!". To the point that when I eventually change mine[1], it will be for an STi7

All this "anti-STi" stuff is getting very tedious. A friend said to me earlier today that the Evo7 had "beaten the STi7" in every area in a recent test (ie Driven), I then got very exasperated at him. As every silly **** this side of Jupiter knows, as a pure point-to-point weapon YES the fecking Evo is better. BUT, and a big but, if you give up a bit of that performance the Subaru is a *much* nicer car to live with. Most people make a compromise that they buy a car to be versatile, take the kids to school/do the shopping/commute to work/drive round to friends at night and also to "enjoy" at the suitable moment. For that the Subaru wins, period. If you only want a point-to-point weapon buy an Evo, or if you don't want to ***** about, get it over with and buy a Lotus.

[1] But as boring stuff as buying houses has to come first , that won't be for a few years. For the meanwhile, I'll cheer myself up with some STi rear spoilers from a certain MY99 5dr .
Old 25 February 2002, 12:43 AM
sasman
Scooby Regular

Wink

GOOD POST, Been trying to decide 4 about three weeks, you just did it 4 me . hope your not a salesman. How did it compare to the wrx performance wise?.

[Edited by sasman - 2/25/2002 12:45:50 AM]
Old 25 February 2002, 08:34 AM
RichieB
Scooby Regular

Sasman....interesting question....STI harder, and feels a lot freer engine wise than the WRX. It is without doubt significantly faster and sharper. Also very docile too when you want it to be. I would have ordered one on the spot if they had a 5 door. Got back in my WRX newly serviced and wasn't disappointed though

Old 25 February 2002, 08:37 AM
medders
Scooby Regular

I dont think people hate bug eyes. It's probably more suspicion than anything. There are an awful lot of vastly conflicting reports out there at the moment (as covered in a different post).
I drove a WRX when they came out and after having 2 turbos already, I absolutely hated the way the WRX performed (just my opinion) More than anything though I don't like the way the WRX looks (again my opinion) I think a lot of people don't like what Subaru have done with the new cars.
I don't "hate" WRX/STI's though. Just wouldn't buy one.

Would still be interested to hear why the reviews of the STI are suddenly amazing compared to when the jap sti came out reviews were average to say the least?? I am very suspicious.

Cheers
Old 25 February 2002, 10:46 PM
jeremy
Scooby Regular

Jools,

How do the P1 and sti7 compare in wet b-road driving? Does the P1 have the edge i terms of predicability, communication and more progressive break-away- for which the likes of Evo magazine always seem to compliment the P1 for?

Thanks, JL

Trending Topics

Old 25 February 2002, 11:10 PM
SteveB
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Some interesting comments.

Have a P1 and love it. It's by far the most involving/characterful car i've ever driven. Though haven't had chance to drivce the new WRX. Certainly don't hate them !
From all the tests i've read, the criticism/comments of the new shape has been directed at this lack of involvement/feel. Whether or not the new STI is slower/faster doesn't really interst me.
My in the week hack is a Golf TDI, which in performance terms is excellent - Fast, loads of grunt, economical but completley lacks any feedback/feel so lacks driving pleasure. There's more to it than just speed.

Cheers

Steve.
Old 28 February 2002, 03:48 AM
jeremy
Scooby Regular

Jools where'd you go?
Old 28 February 2002, 09:49 AM
JohnS

Jools is currently sitting on an oil rig in the middle of the North Sea, off the coast of Denmark
Old 28 February 2002, 10:44 AM
Kosy
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

LOL John