Sponsored by:

new wrx

Search this Thread

Old 22 February 2002, 09:05 AM
woody100
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

i am considering buying a new WRX from motorpoint in derby (£17999)but am concerned about dealer servicing and warranty backup. Anybody bought a car from a car supermarket and how do the main dealers treat you?
Old 22 February 2002, 09:20 AM
sillysi
Scooby Regular

A Subaru dealer told me that the cars from Motorpoint are brought in from Europe especially Cyprus, so they are not UK cars. You will only get one years european warranty which UK dealers have to honour.
Old 22 February 2002, 09:26 AM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

Hi Mate - some are a bit awkward, I understand (possibly instructed to be like this by International Motors - the official concessionaires for Subaru in the UK). They shouldn't be, because EC rules say that there is a free market for consumers buying/selling throughout Europe, and hence servicing should not be restricted.

The warranty should be pan-European. In fact, Belgian cars all come with a 3-year warranty. All that happens is that the dealer doing the work rings up Belgium to get payment etc ratified.

Best advice is to ask Scoobynet users what experiences they have had in your area - and who they use.

Also, check carefully with Motorpoint where their vehicles are sourced. If it's Cyprus, be careful, as you're not guaranteed a full UK spec, or even that they have been properly rustproofed. And, watch that warranty!

Do Motorpoint charge extra for delivery and admin as well? Just a thought...

You might be better going to someone like Bentleys in Sheffield, or even doing the import thing yourself, from Belgium or Holland.

Cheers, Harry.
Old 22 February 2002, 09:55 AM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

Hi Woody - U still out there???
Old 22 February 2002, 10:04 AM
woody100
Scooby Newbie

YES STILL HERE! MOTORPOINT HAVE NOT RECIEVED ANY CARS YET BUT I AM AWAITING A REPLY ABOUT THE ISSUES YOU RAISED. THAMKS FOR THE ADVICE. THERE ARE NO CHARGES, THE PRICE ON THE SCREEN IS WHAT YOU PAY, JUST LIKE A MAIN DEALER BUT WITH A 3 AND A HALF GRAND SAVING. HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE FOR THE CAR TO RUN IN/PERFORM AT ITS BEST, BECAUSE A YEAR OLD CAR IS ALSO AN OPTION BUT WOULD STILL COST MORE THAN A NEW ONE FROM MOTORPOINT. I WILL PHONE THEM NOW AND FIND OUT WHERE THE CARS ARE SOURCED.
Old 22 February 2002, 10:13 AM
woody100
Scooby Newbie

Have just spoken to motorpoint. Cars are sourced from belgium or holland and are full uk spec. Come with a one year warranty but the guy I spoke to wasnt sure and said some come with a three year warranty.
Old 22 February 2002, 10:47 AM
Jon1T
Scooby Regular

I spoke to Motorpoint and Trade Sales - didn't like their atitude. They sounded like they wanted to get you off the phone as quickly as poss and didn't know any info. It was 'yeah yeah whatever'.

Plus I heard that a lot of cars are sourced from Cyprus, aren't UK spec and don't come with any warranty. Is this true? Oh and don't forget they're mostly preregistered so you'll be the second owner. Why not import one and save another £2k?

Trending Topics

Old 22 February 2002, 10:55 AM
woody100
Scooby Newbie

motorpoint is just down the road from me so it is convenient. It isnt very convenient for me to import one and i dont have the time to mess around going to fetch one ect. When i spoke to them they were very helpful and went off to find the info i had asked for. the cars come in i may and this is when i want one anyway so it seems an ideal way to get one. i will be looking into importing one though!
Old 22 February 2002, 10:58 AM
BL
Scooby Regular

Why dont you try Keyring cars or Litchfield. They are very reputable importers & @ good rates as well.
Old 22 February 2002, 11:02 AM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Virgin cars have some for delivery (including STI)

Bough a Leon from them last year but traded it for the scoob and they were pretty good.
Old 22 February 2002, 04:02 PM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

Have a word with Bentleys in Sheffield if you can't wait to import your own. WRXBob reckons they might have a couple in stock (perhaps). I'm importing direct from Belgium - they ALL have a three year pan-European warranty. Saving about £5,500, but waied four and a half months. Yer takes yer choice, Mate....

Still dubious about Motorpoint and Trade Sales, to be honest. Keyring are great, but might not have the stock. Litchfield are good too - and might be able to help on stock.

Cheers, Harry.
Old 22 February 2002, 05:08 PM
woody100
Scooby Newbie

CHEERS HARRY. PLENTY TO THINK ABOUT AND BESIDES THE 206GTI HAS GOT TO GO YET. I WENT ON TO 4 IMPORTER SITES ADVERTISEDIN THIS MONTHS WHAT CAR AND THEY ALL HAD EXACTLY THE SAME WEB SITE DESIGN WHICH I THOUGHT WAS A BIT ODD. THE CHOICE I HAVE IS TO GO TO MOTORPOINT OR A COMPANY LIKE IT WITH THE CASH AND SEE THE CAR AND BUY IT OR IMPORT ONE MYSELF SAVING AN EXTRA 1 - 2 GRAND BUT HAVING THE WAIT. HOW DO RESIDUALS HOLD UP ON SUCH CARS BECAUSE IF THERE GOOD THEN THE EXTRA SAVING FOR ME MIGHT NOT REALLY BE WORTH IT. MOTORPOINT TOLD ME THEY HAVE TAKEN QUITE A FEW DEPOSITS FOR THE CARS COMING IN ALREADY (£500) BUT STILL HAVE PLENTY AVAILABLE
Old 22 February 2002, 05:26 PM
WRXBOB
Scooby Regular

woody100

I can recommend Bentley's of Sheffield.

They are an ex Subaru dealer that have now gone into imports in a big way, and not just Subaru's, they've got loads of cars and commercials in stock, ie: Clio 172's under £12k, Golf 130's & 150's etc

The WRX price is £17995 on the road,and they include a Sigma Cat1 alarm in that price. Due to the very high demand for these cars there is a delay of circa 4months. But worth the wait.

I had a call from them to say our cars arrived today (1 for me & 1 for business partner) so we went up to check them out. Mine was having its Sigma alarm fitted...
Can't wait till next Friday to drive it home!

The cars come from Holland / Benelux and are Full UK spec.

Cheers

BOB

6days, 15hrs, 35mins to go
Old 22 February 2002, 05:44 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

WRX Bob - can you request the usual UK WRX mods on your car or are they just vanilla WRX's?
Old 22 February 2002, 05:51 PM
WRXBOB
Scooby Regular

P1fan,
Sorry for sounding thick...which I am but what do you mean by...
can you request the usual UK WRX mods on your car or are they just vanilla WRX's?
BOB
Old 22 February 2002, 05:54 PM
WRXBOB
Scooby Regular

Do you mean things like, buckets or Sports seats, std lights or Morrettes, Colour coding of side sills, having it chipped, etc etc

If so, then yes you can, but not sure if thats what you mean?

BOB...still
Old 22 February 2002, 06:06 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Yeah I meant can you customise your car with all the options like you can with a UK sourced car, as you say upgrade alloys, spoilers, seats, lights etc.
Old 22 February 2002, 06:21 PM
WRXBOB
Scooby Regular

P1Fan ... YES

We had the choice of seats, but with my 'ample' measurments I found the buckets too hard so opted for the sports seats. Didn't like the 'bug eyes' so opted for Morrettes (£500 painted, fitted AND properly adjusted) don't like the orange side indicators and reflector thingy's, so opted to have the white/clear ones (£77.95 genuine Subaru ones) Wheels...sticking with the std ones for now... think they look ok on the silver cars.

If you've got the money then you can have whatever you want.

Cheers

BOB
Old 22 February 2002, 06:24 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Sounds good! You got a website?
Old 22 February 2002, 06:39 PM
WRXBOB
Scooby Regular

Bentley's of Sheffield
48 Suffolk Road
Sheffield
S2 4AL

Tel: 0114 276 9003
Fax: 0114 275 4803
Email: bentleyssheffield@lineone.net

They are really friendly guy's, but then, they do want your custom so thats no surprise!
Dont think their website is up to much...far better to speak to them in person.
They are VERY busy at the moment, loadsa people wanting cars for March 1st.
If you call them mention Rob Bailey recommended you to them, I'm collecting my Silver WRX March 1st along with my business partner who's getting WR Blue. I told Chris(sales guy) that I've been recommending them to people, dont think he beleived me!

6days, 14hrs, 22mins to go...

BOB
Old 22 February 2002, 06:40 PM
WRXBOB
Scooby Regular

Just round the CORNER from me...

BOB