Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FUMING......

Search this Thread

Old 21 February 2002, 04:14 PM
M8TT J
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry to have a rant and moan but I am fuming...

Guy agreed to buy my car subject to an RAC inspection and the b######s pulled it to pieces...bearing in mind this is a 98 R Tubbo with full main dealer history and is mint, they said it has a new bonnet and boot lid and rear bumper..sorry but does this really matter...not happy and they won't send me a copy of there report...

So looks like I am keeping it...and modfying it...

Rant over, has anybody had a similar experience...
Old 21 February 2002, 04:29 PM
Olly
Scooby Regular

So its had a front and rear bump then?
Old 21 February 2002, 04:34 PM
JoeyDeacon
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Hate to say it but the guy doing the inspection was only doing what he was paid to do. If I was buying a second hand car then I would definitely want to know if it had been in an accident.

You say the car is mint but if you were given the choice between buying one that had been in an accident and repaired or one that had never been in an accident which would you want?
Old 21 February 2002, 04:49 PM
imatrukahs
Scooby Regular

Have you ever tryed to find a straight Cossie?LOL,not a chance..so you have to buy a jacobs..unless you are lucky,but if i was to buy a scoob,it would have to be straight(unlike the owners).

[Edited by imatrukahs - 2/21/2002 4:50:12 PM]
Old 21 February 2002, 05:13 PM
devils_ad69
Scooby Regular

<Sorry to have a rant and moan but I am fuming...>

Why?

<Guy agreed to buy my car subject to an RAC inspection and the b######s pulled it to pieces...bearing in mind this is a 98 R Tubbo with full main dealer history and is mint, they said it has a new bonnet and boot lid and rear bumper..sorry but does this really matter...not happy and they won't send me a copy of there report...>

You tried to flog your car without telling the prospective buyer that it had had a bump? and then you get funny when it is noticed? And lastly you ask to see the report which you have not paid a penny for?
Old 21 February 2002, 05:24 PM
M8TT J
Scooby Regular

Wow steady on now fella....I bought it from an approved dealer...and was never told by them that it had a bump and also I myself haven't bumped it...It has had a new bootlid, rear wing skin and bumper...is that really that bad...I don't think so...anyway if he blows me out I will either modify it slightely further or PX it againest a 328i sport on sat.
Old 21 February 2002, 05:26 PM
Jolly Green Monster 2
Scooby Regular

Wink

As long as the repair has been done properly then I don't have a problem with buying a car that has been in a minor bump.
But if there were two for sale, one had a bump and one not then obviously you'd buy the non-bumped one.

He might let you have a copy of the report if you offer to pay for it... but if they are being funny about it you may as well pay the RAC to do one. The RAC might print you a copy for a price?

Did you bump the car? if so do you have pictures so you could prove it was just panels etc?

Old 21 February 2002, 05:27 PM
M8TT J
Scooby Regular

Sorry forgot to add if one of you lot, bought your car in good faith from a main agent and then 6 months down the line found out it was had been crashed repaired how would you feel...also not only that but if it has been professionally repaired what is the problem..

Sale not completely blown out yet as he is still thinking about it...may knock a bit of cash off..
Old 21 February 2002, 05:29 PM
M8TT J
Scooby Regular

The guy is a friend of a friend...will have the report tomorrow and will tell you the outcome...
Old 21 February 2002, 05:34 PM
JoeyDeacon
Scooby Regular

Depends how fussy you are I guess. I am very, very **** about my cars and this would put me off big time.

I bought a car a few years ago that I was perfectly happy with until one day I noticed that the offside wing didn't line up perfectly. Bit more invstigation and I discovered it had obviously been in an accident at somepoint as the wing, front light and bumper didn't line up 100% correctly.

That was it, even though nobody else could notice it it was the first thing my eye was drawn to every time I looked at the car.

P1ssed me off BIG time and was one of the reasons I chopped it in for the (brand new) Impreza.
Old 21 February 2002, 05:35 PM
Jon1T
Scooby Regular

Wink

Why don't you take it up with the dealer? what about trades description act - if the dealer described it as a minter and you can prove it's been shunted how do you stand?

You can't blame the inspection guy for doing a good job tho - always worth doing one wherever you buy it from - dealer or no
Old 21 February 2002, 05:42 PM
Jza
Scooby Regular

Main delears are legally bound to tell you if the cars been in a prang....... IF YOU ASK

So ask before you buy!!!

Otherwise they wont say diddly

Jza
Old 21 February 2002, 05:55 PM
CELL
Scooby Regular

When i was looking round for a scoob, i had an inspection done on one i was intending to buy. Seriously expensive these reports, so i was a bit pi55ed when i came back with quite a few faults.
I left the bloke a cheque for £100 as a deposit subject to no serious faults being found.
Anyway, i didnt buy it because of the faults but the bloke tried to cash my cheque a few days later

on to the point... the guy is probably feeling a little dissapointed by the report too. Why dont you drop the price a bit to keep him interested.
Old 22 February 2002, 09:17 AM
M8TT J
Scooby Regular

I will keep you posted about the outcome....dropped the price and he is going to get back to me...see what happens...He has spent 200 quid on the check...so knocked 500 notes off the price and see what happens...

Also I must say I myself have lost the love for the car now....as now I know it has been in a crash, so it's got to go. I have been offered 10k in px againest a nice BMW 328I Sport up at 12....so if he don;t buy I think it will go at the weekened...

Old 22 February 2002, 09:41 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Good luck with the sale.

It's not a nice feeling knowing that your pride and joy isn't what you thought it was. I bought a R19 16V that was a nail. If I'd taken time to inspect it, it was obvious that it had been in an accident. Once I found it had, I wasn't happy with the car...
Old 22 February 2002, 09:51 AM
fivepint
Scooby Regular

LOL a straight cossie ;-) NEVER... best Ive seen was in Naas, Kildare, Ireland after a rallycross meet, this car was round! a saff cossie not one straight panel not even the roof looked liked it had been rolled... but he took off like a man posessed feckin priceless and a wicked car... a driver I never wish to meet on the road ;-)

Cheers Fergal

Old 22 February 2002, 10:07 AM
devils_ad69
Scooby Regular

M8TT J,

I can understand your frustration but you came across as being fuming because the prospective buyer was now unsure about the car.

How would you have reacted if you were in his shoes?

Did you ask the dealer where you bought it from whether it had an accident history?

Did you tell the buyer that it had had new bits?

My own views has always been that if someone tries to pull the wool, over my eyes, I walk away no matter what (not saying that is what you have done)

An honest discussion means such problems can frequently be sorted out with a bit of good faith on both sides.

Hope you manage to sell. Keep us posted.

[edited to correct typos]

[Edited by devils_ad69 - 2/22/2002 10:26:28 AM]
Old 22 February 2002, 10:18 AM
juan
Scooby Regular

if its had a bash its not mint like you say. simple.

any prospective purchaser would be pleased to find this out. Then they can either leave it or incorporate into price.

accept it

edited to add: totally agree with the above post. Anyone pulling wool = no chance of selling it to me

[Edited by juan - 2/22/2002 10:19:53 AM]