Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Origin Blue-I report

Search this Thread

Old 21 February 2002, 04:59 PM
druddle
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well i have had mine for about 2 months now and thought it was about time to report on how i have been getting on with it.

Installation:

Due to me owning a girly Clio with a heat/sound reflective windscreen, the GPS aerial could not be mounted next to the windscreen. I bought the 10m aerial cable and mounted the antenna bit on the ledge next to the drivers side rear window. It was easy enough to get the trim off to install it. Mounted the unit on the right of the dashboard instrument panel, above the vent so it is in eyeline. I used the sticky velcro pads to mount the brackets and so far it has been fine.

Use:

Initally for the first few days it was taking a while to lock onto the GPS satellites. I was told this is normal and after those few days, it now locks on within a couple of minutes. I have had a few occasions when i have waited 20 mins or so to connect, but after power cycling it connected in a couple of minutes.

In normal use (no camera warnings) the display shows the direction of travel, speed (in kmh or mph) and the number of GPS satellites locked on.

It has some interesting functions, like the limitator. If you switch this function on, then it will not alert you of a camera if you are going under the speed limit. I didnt realise this at first (RTFM ) and i thought it was not picking up all the cameras. I switched this feature off and now it has picked up every camera i have been past. I have the range set at 600m (can go up to 2000m).

When it alerts you of a camera, you get three types of warnings. Repetative beeps, a voice alert and an on-screen display. I turned the beeping off as it is bl00dy annoying !! The voice alert basically tells you what sort of camera you are approaching (SPECS or GATSO). The on screen display tells you what sort of camera it is, what the road name is that it is on (current road), distance in meters that it is away (changes in 50m increments) and gives an arrow signal to tell you where it is and what directions it is pointing. There are also 2 LEDs that flash wildly.

If you are on a motorway, you can switch the MWAY function on so that, for example, if you are on the M25 where there are cameras for a few miles, it does not flash and beep at every camera, it only flashes at the first and last cameras and in between just keeps the warning on screen. On variable speed limit cameras it also says VARI on the screen.

My unit (after I had worked out how to use it properly) has not missed any cameras i have gone past. It is a piece of cake to update it, and if you spot a new camera you just press a button on the unit and its location is uploaded to the server and verified (same as Geodesy). Although is does not get temporary or hand-held cameras, i think it has already saved me a few points on my license !!

Cheers

Dave

Old 21 February 2002, 06:29 PM
Rum*
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks for that Dave...

Mine is being installed on Monday...and I shall no doubt be trying it out over the next few weeks...and shall also report back for others that are interested...

Thx again

Tom
Old 21 February 2002, 09:00 PM
DocJock
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Dave

Think you covered it all there.

Mine's the same , easy-peasy to install/use and not missed a camera yet as far as I know.
Old 21 February 2002, 09:12 PM
chris p1
Scooby Regular

I'm getting one soon does it have to be installed by a pro or is it just a fitting into the lighter socket,also can it be moved from car to car.Where's the best place to buy it ie price service.
Thanks Chris.
Old 21 February 2002, 09:38 PM
druddle
Scooby Regular

Chris

You can use it in any car as long as you have the GPS antenna fitted. It gets power from the cigarette lighter.

Dave
Old 21 February 2002, 09:39 PM
druddle
Scooby Regular

Oops forgot to say that if you switch the MWAY function on, then even if there is a camera on a road within the range of the motorway (on slip road, or a parallel road) then it wont report it, and will only report cameras on the motorway.

Dave
Old 21 February 2002, 09:47 PM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

What's the price guys - and where do I get more info? Have they a web site?
Old 21 February 2002, 09:54 PM
druddle
Scooby Regular

http://www.originbluei.com

Dave
Old 21 February 2002, 10:12 PM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

Cheers Dave!!
Old 22 February 2002, 10:38 AM