Scooby Day

Search this Thread

Old 24 January 2009, 10:44 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Cool Scooby Day

Just had a bit of scooby day today

GreenDream was looking for a standard air-filter/box for his MY95 WRX STi RA for which he would swap his HKS Mushroom jobbie.

my_first_scooby had had his car written off ( ) and rather than have it taken by the insurers with his nice wheels was looking for something cheap for it to sit on

Hxx had a magnex d/pipe he wasn't needing, so had given it to me & it needed collecting.

As H lives near Kettering, arranged to meet the other 2 at the Kettering BP services on the A14 around midday. My_first_scooby was first to turn up and took the 15" scooby wheels that I had had sitting around at home. Just as he was off, GreenDream arrived and we (well he did the spanners!) swapped air-filters over, then it was off to H's for the d/pipe and a natter.

Not had a scoob without a standard airbox before so although I knew that the mushroom was going to be a bit noisier with the induction sound, wasn't prepared for the wastegate chatter I could now hear on changing gear under acceleration - schweeet Wish I'd done that before & I spent quite a bit of the return trip changing down, then accelerating and changing up again

When I got home, I thought I'd look for what was needed to do on the d/pipe and that meant taking off the heat-shield, which once that was done (how many bloody bolts? ), thought I would check the stiffness of the 5 bolts keeping the oe pipe attached to the turbo, which was fine on the 1st four but the 5th was the one furthest away and try what I might was a complete bugger to get leverage on. In the end I took the tmic off but that was a pain as I also had to undo the strut-brace yes - one of those little jobs that just gets bigger & bigger!

Anyway, apart from the 2 bottom bolts attaching the d/pipe to the centre section & the Lambda sensor, thats all thats left to do. Bolts are liberally sprayed in WD40 so hopefully won't be a pain to do in the morning. Then it's putting the new one on and bolting it all back together

Whilst the top mount was out, thought I'd check out the lay of the pipes for the front mount & all looks pretty simple except for the intercooler spray water bottle - looks like it might have to move someplace as there needs to be a dirty great hole through where its sitting I think...

Anyone know what the score is with waterspray bottle & fmics? If it does have to move, where's a good place to put it?

Otherwise, it's been a fun day, good to see the others & I'm wondering whether to miss karate in the morning to get the d/pipe fitted - can't wait to hear it, too long had a very quiet scoob, time for a wee bit more of a rumble
Old 24 January 2009, 11:05 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

*awaits knowing post about 'wastegate chatter'*
Old 24 January 2009, 11:06 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

*checks vape sabre is armed and ready...*
Old 24 January 2009, 11:08 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a bit of Scoob day today also.
Not driven it for almost 10 days so I put a few miles on the clock.

Downpipe.......When I took off mine all went well until I tried to swap the Lambda sensor over. Would it budge........... The thing was welded in place[not literally] and I ended up trashing the thread completely and had to get a new one. I'll soak the thread in WD next time.

Also, be careful with the turbo to d/p gasket as they can tear.

[hope i'm not teaching you to suck eggs]

Enjoy