Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

UK Photo card Driving Licences - check expiry!

Search this Thread

Old 22 January 2009, 01:07 PM
Imprezive_52
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UK Photo card Driving Licences - check expiry!

I hope this isn't a re-post, but i thought this may come in handy for those who got a photo-card licence when they first switched over in 1998.

This info has been confirmed at my local police station, so have a read. . . .

Thousands of motorists are at risk of being fined up to £1,000 because they are unwittingly driving without a valid licence.

They risk prosecution after failing to spot the extremely small print on their photocard licence which says it automatically expires after 10 years and has to be renewed - even though drivers are licensed to drive until the age of 70. The fiasco has come to light a decade after the first batch of photo licences was issued in July 1998, just as they start to expire.

Motoring organisations blamed the Government for the fiasco and said 'most' drivers believed their licences were for life.
A mock-up driving licence from 1998 when the photocards were launched shows the imminent expiry date as item '4b' They said officials had failed to publicise sufficiently the fact that new-style licences - unlike the old paper ones - expire after a set period and have to be renewed.

To rub salt into wounds, drivers will have to pay £17.50 to renew their card - a charge which critics have condemned as a 'stealth tax' and which will earn the Treasury an estimated £437million over 25 years. Official DVLA figures reveal that while 16,136 expired this summer, so far only 11,566 drivers have renewed, leaving 4,570 outstanding. With another 300,000 photocard licences due to expire over the coming year, experts fear the number of invalid licences will soar, putting thousands more drivers in breach of the law and at risk of a fine.

At the heart of the confusion is the small print on the tiny credit-card-size photo licence, which is used in conjunction with the paper version.

4b: The small print on the back of the driving licence is easy to miss
Just below the driver name on the front of the photocard licence is a series of dates and details - each one numbered.
Number 4b features a date in tiny writing, but no explicit explanation as to what it means.
The date's significance is only explained if the driver turns over the card and reads the key on the back which states that '4b' means 'licence valid to'.

Even more confusingly, an adjacent table on the rear of the card sets out how long the driver is registered to hold a licence - that is until his or her 70th birthday. A total of 25million new-style licences have been issued but - motoring experts say - drivers were never sufficiently warned they would expire after 10 years.

The DVLA said failure to update the photocard after 10 years fell into the same category as failing to inform them of a change of address.

CHECK YOUR LICENCE EXPIRY DATE!!!
Old 22 January 2009, 01:09 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Its a re-re-re-re-re-post!
Old 22 January 2009, 01:10 PM
Imprezive_52
Scooby Regular

Cheers fella, Apologies for the waiste of space. . .

Can never be too sure though
Old 22 January 2009, 01:45 PM
scoobyc
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

tbh i hadnt seen this before so im glad you did post.
Old 22 January 2009, 02:09 PM
EAndy
Scooby Regular

I hadn't seen this so thanks... looks like I need to renew soon then as just looked at license...
Old 22 January 2009, 02:40 PM
ColiNThESTI
Scooby Regular

id not seen it either although i got a renewal form through the post mine runs out in Feb as long as you got your correct address on you license you'll get the renewal form if not well you can get a £1000 fine for that as well
Old 22 January 2009, 02:44 PM
Imprezive_52
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ColiNThESTI
id not seen it either although i got a renewal form through the post mine runs out in Feb as long as you got your correct address on you license you'll get the renewal form if not well you can get a £1000 fine for that as well
^That's true!^
Well, at least this re-post has done a little bit of good.
Old 22 January 2009, 02:50 PM
N_Scooby
Scooby Regular

My missus had to re-new hers last year - had a reminder in the post. Still got 3 years to go on mine. Only got rid of the paper licence because I moved house. Look a lot younger and thinner in the photo though - must have been a rough 7 years
Old 22 January 2009, 03:01 PM
Chris.B
Scooby Regular

If you move house then you won't need to pay
Old 24 January 2009, 06:08 PM
Ginge !
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chris.B
If you move house then you won't need to pay
not true at all, i had a photo card for 5 years before i passed my test, ive just checked mine and it expires next year !!!, ive changed address 3 times too since then and its from the date of my provisional licence

its a ****ing rip off, i went to change my address on my licence and was told i would have to pay 17.50 as the paper copy is defaced according to them,, so i never bothered sending it back as i informed them ive changed address,, **** em