Sponsored by:

It aint legal ...

Search this Thread

Old 29 January 2001, 04:00 PM
Bajie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

I was followed by a motorcycle cop from Hyde Park to the Kings Road.
Knowing a conversation was imminent I turned down the radio.
He pulls up next to me and asks for me lower window.
Conversation went as follows ....
"Why have you got that paintwork on your number plate"
"That's Scooby Blue"
"Why is it there"
"Because it looks good ..."
"Do you know its illegal?"
"Er, no. Why is it illegal"
"It obscures your number plate"
"It does. OK. I'll change it then"
"You better had. Otherwise you'll get some points. I won't charge you now but you'd best get it sorted"

Well, I'm going to get in touch with Mike to get a new rear plate made.
Now, I personally had many different thoughts going through my mind about the situation [some good, some bad] ....

Anyone else been told off about their number plate?
Old 29 January 2001, 07:02 PM
Gastro
Scooby Regular

There are strict regulations concerning number plates - spacing of letters/numbers, background colour (it has be yellow, unless the car is manufactured around the '60's when it can be black with silver letters), even the font style can come under scrutiny if its deemed illegible !

Regards,
Gastro
Old 29 January 2001, 08:50 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

"You better had. Otherwise you'll get some points. I won't charge you now but you'd best get it sorted"

Points???
Can't get points for a duff plate.
BTW I think the fine for not displaying a number plate is on average about 50 quid.

Much cheaper than a speeding fine
Old 29 January 2001, 11:20 PM
SCD Simon
Scooby Regular

Received 47 Likes on 13 Posts
Thumbs down

I got pulled about 2 weeks ago after having the n.plate on the car for over a year,i was advised to change it which i've done as i work about 20 yds from the station the cop came out of,the spacing was fine but the font was the same,it starts S55,the chap in blue said he couldn't tell if it was SSS or 555 which is why the blue light's came after me!!!!!!

CHEERS SCD Simon

[This message has been edited by SCD Simon (edited 29 January 2001).]
Old 29 January 2001, 11:30 PM
Ian E
Scooby Regular

They can't give you points - I think the penalty is "Failure To Display A Registration Plate" - or something like that and it used to be a £20 fine.

I got pulled over in Settle a couple of years back. The Policeman jumped out of his car with a ruler and measured the height of the letters on my motorbike plate. They were half an inch to short so they fined me - made his day

About four years ago I was with a mate on another bike and was pulled on the motorway by a Police Senator. When asked why we had been stopped we said no idea - he said illegal registration plates. He then got his ruler out, found out they were ok and apologised!

Ian.

[This message has been edited by Ian E (edited 29 January 2001).]
Old 30 January 2001, 12:07 AM
ndouglass
Scooby Regular

Check out this link it'll tell you all you need to know.
Old 30 January 2001, 12:14 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Question

Is there a law on the width of the number plate??

I have a plate made up of 5 characters, they are legally spaced, from the edges, and between the characters, etc. It's just the blank bits on the end have been removed, thereby creating a plate that's not as wide!

Cheers
Andy
Old 30 January 2001, 09:29 AM
Danny Fisher
Scooby Regular

I have a ScoobyMania rear plate only now (Police didnt like the front version, TOOOO SMALL!!!!) I received a £30 fine, no producer, and told to be on my way. The rear number plate is the same type as Ian's, but in NORMAL colours. I have had the police pull up behind my, point at the plate and laugh! Cant say more than that!

Dan
Old 30 January 2001, 11:01 AM
James Douglas
Scooby Regular

Im a biker as well as scoobier - most bikers have tiny (about Font size 24!!) number plates. The police are on a real crackdown on us bikers - particularly in Derbyshire in the summer. They stopped over 150 riders in one afternoon who all got "get it fixed" tickets and fines. Some of the bikers figure that its better to not get gatso'd doing 150 in a 30 limit - so they pay the fine.

My concern is that the police are going to start cracking down on cars aswell. £50 for 5 mins work and one form to fill out is a good rate. My advise is to not go over the top with RIDICULOUS fonts and cops have better things to do.

I read a quote from a copper who said that we all moan about the plates, but would we be happy if we got smashed into by a car / injured, and no one could trace the bloke because his number plate was ilegable (like my spelling!!!). Good point if someone gets killed i guess.

James
Old 31 January 2001, 12:23 AM
DazW
Scooby Regular

I understand that the DVLA can take back a "cherished" plate, but what do they do if you've got a standard plate?

DazW.
Old 31 January 2001, 12:38 AM
Gary Foster
Scooby Regular

Cool

£20 Fine for no number plates !!! is that all !!!

Sod that I'm removing mine, I could get a fine a fortnight and it would still be cheeper than this years speeding fines ! (plus you get to keep your license and go fast).

Even better, think I may invest in 007 type revolving jobies

'Hello officer, why have you stopped me'
'You have no number plates'
'Oh really, are you sure ...'bzzzt clunk

Gary
Old 31 January 2001, 12:39 AM
Gary Foster
Scooby Regular

Or even better, fit an LCD panel over the plate, it'll be perfectly clear normally - until you apply a voltage to the LCD at which point it goes completely black ...
(Sorry, imagination running wild here
Old 31 January 2001, 12:50 AM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Wink

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Danny Fisher:
<B>I have a ScoobyMania rear plate only now (Police didnt like the front version, TOOOO SMALL!!!!) I received a £30 fine, no producer, and told to be on my way. The rear number plate is the same type as Ian's, but in NORMAL colours. I have had the police pull up behind my, point at the plate and laugh! Cant say more than that!

Dan[/quote]

Dan
You are losing your memory - the time the police pulled up behind you and laughed you weren't in the car M8!!

Old 31 January 2001, 12:55 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Richard F:
<B>Andy

I don't think you'll have a problem if you saw off the blank ends of the plates although there is a minimum width which has to be maintained all round the plate (I think it's about 1cm) so as long as you have this much blank plate then you'll be fine.[/quote]

Thanks Richard, that's what I hoped!!

Andy
Old 31 January 2001, 08:35 AM
Richard F
Scooby Regular

Andy

I don't think you'll have a problem if you saw off the blank ends of the plates although there is a minimum width which has to be maintained all round the plate (I think it's about 1cm) so as long as you have this much blank plate then you'll be fine.
Old 31 January 2001, 08:40 AM
Gussie Cup
Scooby Regular

Question

I have seen Scoobs on track-days with no front plates - just a full-size 'stick-on' plate on the front edge of the bonnet (I've also seen plenty of minis amongst other things on the road like this)

Provided the lettering is the correct size, font and colour etc, is it legal to drive on the road ?