The Scooby "Experience" -- Your Input Needed

Search this Thread

Old 30 January 2001, 03:30 PM
Dumb Student
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi there!

I am a student working on a project/paper for my Marketing class, and I am hoping you guys could help me with some basic information. Many thanks in advance!

The subject is very dear to my heart – performance cars. The objective of the project is to understand THE EXPERIENCE of owning a performance car, and to identify ways of making it even more enjoyable and fun (e.g. by offering the owners new products or services).

I would really appreciate if you could help me by answering a few simple questions (it will help me a great deal with my project, and hopefully make an entertaining read for the rest of you).

So, here we go. If you think of your car ownership experience...

1. What are the best things about owning a performance car?
2. And what are the worst?
3. What are the bits that you can “live with” but find frustrating / annoying / inconvenient?
4. What things in your experience of owning / using the car would you like to change?
5. Is there anything (e.g. product or service) you CAN’T get at the moment but would like to get?

Many thanks for taking the time to read and reply!!!

Happy motoring

Old 30 January 2001, 03:43 PM
Robertio
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

3. What are the bits that you can “live with” but find frustrating / annoying / inconvenient?
4. What things in your experience of owning / using the car would you like to change?
5. Is there anything (e.g. product or service) you CAN’T get at the moment but would like to get?

1. Driving it.
2. Feeding it / insurance / other people damaging it.
3. <20mpg / insurance being 4 figures
4. Touching the back left alloy against a 1 foot kerb the week after I got the car. Not standing outside the house with a golf club when the thieving sods nicked the rear spoiler, or when some toerag took a key across the back right panel. Or from the manufacturers point of view - a bit more power, some steering feel, a health warning on the std stereo.
5. A cost effective fuel source
Old 30 January 2001, 03:43 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

1. Grin factor whilst driving the thing
2. Paranoia of leaving it anywhere
3. Idiosynchracies, such as clutch judder
4. Understeer.
5. Nope, it's just a question of money.

Good luck with the research
Old 30 January 2001, 04:04 PM
mattski
Scooby Regular

1. Driving it and it *always* making you smile, and it always making you look back when you leave it. The fact that a machine can be so scarey.
2. Petrol and Petrol, the constant worry of scum taking it and maintenance costs.
3. Having to think twice before parking it, terrible fuel economy, rattles!
4. Cheaper running, avoiding kerbs , not needing an obscene amount of 'security', garages not taking you for a ride because it's an impreza.
5. Complete head up display dashboard and cheaper octane boost or 100RON petrol cheap!
Old 30 January 2001, 04:08 PM
GCollier
Scooby Regular

1) Best Things
Buzz of driving the thing. Owning something "different" and distinct.

2) Worst Things
Paranoia about leaving it anywhere, and it getting vandalised or stolen.

3) Live with but frustrating
Scarcity of super-unleaded petrol.

4) Things I'd like to change
Bigger fuel tank for greater range between fill-ups. Wheels which are easier to clean, but still look as good

5) Nice to have products and services
Music-on-demand for the stereo - voice activated access to all the MP3s in the world!
Old 30 January 2001, 04:35 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Wink

Grin factor or smiles an hour. This can only be understood by enthusiasts, so borow a scoob and take your lecturers etc for a spin. You know that Shania Twain song with the words "I don't believe you kiss your car goodnight"? I bet the car was a scooby

Speed limits, and the ability to break all of them in 6-7 seconds from a standing start.

Insurance (2k this year)
fuel economy ( <20 mpg - maybe we should call that fuel first class)
running costs in general. (there is no point putting cheap tyres on a performance car. It will become as bad as the tyres)

Abolish speed limits.
find a non-profit making insurance company.
I'd like more money to spend on all the mods I really want

Again, It's just a question of money

p.s. Dumb Student? I don't think dumb describes any student. I work hard (not) for a living and pay my taxes, so the goverment can pay you to hang about the students union and drink beer.

Fast Bloke - Dumb Worker (a.k.a jealous ex student)
Old 30 January 2001, 04:36 PM
church_monster
Scooby Regular

Cool

1) GIRLIEEEESSSSSSSSSS.....wanting a ride (and they usually get one !!)

2) Being 24 and paying more on insurance than the girlfriend paid for her car !

3) High Kerbs (Mr Collier I'm sure you can relate to this...1ft kerb outside the Tavern in Letchworth) Bast**ds with a desire to take your wheels

4) John Prescotts ability to live...(super Unleaded kills me)

5)a Digital Dash Board !!

EDITED BY ME cos I cnat spoll...

[This message has been edited by church_monster (edited 30 January 2001).]
Old 30 January 2001, 04:47 PM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Talking

And now for the *politically incorrect* but true answers:-

1)
Being one of the fastest modes ot transport on 4 wheels from a to b. and knowing it

Driving at obscene speeds (where legally allowed)

Driving at obscene speeds (where you know you won't get caught!)

Respect from those who know and the ability to *waste* those who don't

2)
The risk of getting caught

The fact that regardless of how much power you have its never enough

3)
Fuel consumption, insurance (if you have to pay for it), running costs, attention from neds (but see above for dealing with that)

4)
Nothing really!

5)
As 4

Disclaimer:

Please note that I do not in any way support or advocate the use of excessive speed on the public highway, etc, etc, etc.....
Old 30 January 2001, 04:55 PM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

The pure fun factor (in all weathers - unlike my mates and their bikes). On a serious note the primary safety factor of being able to avoid some situations simply by accelerating away. I recently drove a very slow diesel and did not feel as safe, simply beacuse I had less control over my surroundings.

The attitude of some people to the whole concept of driving for enjoyment. (inc Mr Prescott !)

Cost of Insurance/Cost of Fuel @ 20 MPG (but then it is my choice )

Not many really. I like the dealer and can live with the less than exotic trim because of the price. (Again my choice....) I would like a bigger service interval so I don't have to see a dealer quite so often.....

Force field to protect from the cr*p on theroads at the moment . A truly personal insurance service which takes into account the exact circumstances of previous claims etc. not just feeding a few std things into a computer. I can dream .....
Old 30 January 2001, 05:04 PM
wall
Scooby Regular

Note: Elise 111S ...no longer scoob STI

1) Best Things
Driving it.

2) Worst Things
Paranoia about damage, accidents, breakdowns, vandals, ecc.

3) Live with but frustrating
Lack of space in the boot, not the most comfortable cruiser.

4) Things I'd like to change
Targa roof that fits inside, way bigger boot, headlight design, even more power (it's never enough...

5) Nice to have products and services
Original accessories available quickly from the dealer, and at reasonable prices. Also insurance and track insurance available via the dealer factory.
Old 30 January 2001, 05:15 PM
Subarussian
Scooby Regular

1. Performance (acceleration, handling) Looks (when the car has just been waxed).
2. Fuel economy. Servicing costs (tyres, brake pads, dealer services).
3. Washing/waxing the car is HARD work and takes a long time! Also choosing and getting aftermarket parts for replacement and mods could be a pain. There are so many different brands of the same products (e.g. exhausts - Scoobysport, Magnex, Scorpion, etc) - everyone claims to be the best, so deciding which one to buy can be sometimes really confusing. On top of that there are numerious suppliers offering roughly the same range - so you have to contact many of them to find out about availability and price.
4. Make the servicing and modding more affordable (e.g. PPP for less than £2k).
5. With reference to point 3, perhaps some sort of search engine embrassing all / most suppliers.

Hope this helps!

Old 30 January 2001, 05:28 PM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

1. Rapid changes in direction (ie Accelerating/braking/cornering)
2. Can seldom use it fully except on track
3. Fuel costs, tyre wear, servicing costs
4. The ease of cleaning 15-spoke wheels, the ease at which the paintwork chips
5. No speed limits Money can buy everything, would be nice if everything came cheaper though

Good luck. To fully some it up, you need to ride in or even drive one!! Its all about passion and horsepower/torque/traction.........
Old 30 January 2001, 06:00 PM
Gussie Cup
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

The pleasure of driving it - makes you grin as you approach it - you're still grinning when you get out! It overcomes ALL of the downsides.....

People scratching it/car-park door dings/insurance/petrol costs/where you park it

The above are all annoying but definitely worth living with - the other option is no Scoob!(and thats not an option )

Peoples attitudes to other peoples property (see vandalism/theft/door-dings etc)

Nothing springs to mind!

Good luck with the project.
Old 30 January 2001, 06:38 PM
Andy W
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

D.S.
1 The sheer grin factor of owning an absolute stormer of a car, and using it.
2 the cost of running it: Insurance, through insurance we are all paying for the common mentality of putting in a claim after any accident just to see if any money can be claimed regardless of injury!!Petrol prices a complete rip off.
3 The worry that some thieving scumbag regards it as ok to nick or vandalise the pride and joy that we work so hard to get/keep.
4 I would like to remove the understeer built into the car withou paying even more in insurance.
5 something that would repay a thief/vandal properly, A device that would zap/punch/bite said thief before he damages your motor!!!!
Old 30 January 2001, 08:10 PM
Dumb Student
Scooby Newbie

Guys,
Thanks for your replies. I appreciate it. Please keep them coming as I ideally need a "statistically significant sample size."

In terms of your "wish list" I've taken on board your comments about the costs (petrol, insurance, maintainance) and theft-prevention. What about any other services or as our Prof calls it "unmet consumer needs"? Something that could be introduced / marketed by a company as a new product or service (e.g. Subrussian mentioned shopping for spare parts). Or is everything already available and is just a question of money?

Thanks again!

Old 30 January 2001, 09:49 PM
Gerg2
Scooby Regular

1) Blowing away V8s that cost twice as much as my car.

2) Being paranoid about every single rattle that probably means nothing. Not to mention thieving scum. Rip off insurance. Unreasonable fuel prices.

3) Waiting for the car to get above 3000 rpm (its an MY94). Clutch judder. Stone chips. Not brave to park in the all day park so have to park in a premium spot and move the bloody thing every two hours. Stinkin 1st gear synchro. F@*king heat shield rattle!!!

4) Remove all possibilties of Qs 2) and 3).

5) A free 100,000 km complimentary, complete car rebuild from Subaru.
Old 31 January 2001, 08:56 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

DS,

I think you're probably seeing a picture forming here. Regards the new product marketing, if someone had a great idea, they'd do it themselves

Personally, in-car computing can go far. I've built an MP3 player, and am now trying to shoe-horn a GPS receiver onto there for navigation/gatso finding.
Old 31 January 2001, 09:04 AM
RB170
Scooby Regular

1)Driving it
2)Paranoid about parking it anywhere and the attention from the Old Bill and puffer jacket community.
3)Fuel consumption and insurance
4)Cheaper running
5)A decent looking new model
Old 31 January 2001, 10:18 AM
Stuart H
Scooby Regular

Cool

1)Driving it
2)Cost of SUL and little sh*ts trying to nick bits off it
3)Crap fuel economy
4)Not having to leave an armed SAS guard in the glovebox every time I park it somewhere.
5)Cheap SUL!
Old 31 January 2001, 10:20 AM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

1 - Driving it, having something that looks different from the run-of-the-mill type cars.
2 - Feeding it fuel, paying its insurance, and getting 'caught' driving it.
3 - On long journeys the feed back from the steering wheel can be a strain, especially motorways (150 miles plus).
4 - The paint work, not as durable as some other makes.
5 - More dealer approved upgrades, ie breaks, wheels, exhausts, induction kits, turbos etc...