Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Oil Pressure and Temp (typical) advice required.

Search this Thread

Old 29 December 2008, 01:46 PM
scoobyc
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My Oil Pressure and Temp (typical) advice required.

Hello again guys.

Finally finished fitting my gauges and i was wondering.

On start up what Oil pressure are you guys getting? Mine is reading between 100 and 120psi which fluctuates.

Also ive idled the car for around 5min the water temp has become normal however the oil temp gauge has not moved. I would imagine the oil temp to be above 50deg C (min) after 5min of idling? Im guessing perhaps there is something wrong.

I didnt actually test the temp guage before putting it on. There is also a very slight oil leak on the oil temp plug (top of no 3 cylinder) so ill need to tighten that a little (atleast shows there is oil there). Also my oil temp sender doesnt extened all the way through the adapater if that makes any sense at all.

Last edited by scoobyc; 29 December 2008 at 01:47 PM.
Old 29 December 2008, 01:50 PM
tanyatriangles
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Finally got them in eh? Well done

Oil pressure: mine runs at 7bar cold, idles at 2.2 bar red hot, and runs anywhere around 4-5 bar when the engine is hot and working normally.

At this time of year the oil temperature can lag the water temperature by 5+ minutes easily.
Mine runs at around 70 degrees tickover, around 90 degrees on a run, and 100-110 degrees when working hard
Old 29 December 2008, 01:57 PM
scoobyc
Scooby Regular

Ahh nice one. Yeah i decided to go get the adapter from Mike/Matt Lewis Racing (ebay) from dorking. Seemed like a top chap and sorted me out.

Slight leak from the oil temp plug. I might just leave the engine running for another 5min then to see if the temp does rise.

My Pressure seems to fluctuate between 100 and 120 about every second. Just goes up and down. Would assume the pressure would be almost constant?
Old 29 December 2008, 02:24 PM
AndyMoody
Scooby Regular

Got my gauges fitted about 10 days ago. Oil pressure 100-120peak from cold start, oil temp gauge takes a while to move then sits around 70-80 have to drive it, peak has been about 85-90. I don't think you have anything to worry about. Using Motul 300v 5-40 in a 2003 WRX if that makes any difference to anything???
Old 29 December 2008, 03:57 PM
scoobyc
Scooby Regular

Nice one. Cheers guys. Turns out each one leaked. So ive took them all off and put them back in 30 min! With PTFE tape in certain places.

Just need to finish the wiring. Put the Pod on and off we go.

Was gonna use some double sided velcro for the Pod for the time being so its easily removable for anything wrong. Howd you lot attach yours?

I passed my cables through a hole underneath the brake pipes at the top left looking from front on. There is another unused hole near the downpipe but im scared that may get to hot. Im gonna see if i can squeez this grommet back in. I doubt it.

Also ive mounted the OP sender on a screw into the inlet manifold. The thing does just hit the padding on the bonnet. Hope it wont catch fire from that. Shouldnt i suppose. Will see how it goes/move it later.

Ive only got a tiny garage and all the bits i need are wedged in down the side of the car so i cant get them. Cant roll the car out either cos the drive is very steep :S

Its ran for about 10 min without leaks, however i expect when the oil gets alot hotter then the leaks will show. Will have to put some cardboard under the thing tonight see if it leaks.

Almost there
Old 29 December 2008, 04:00 PM
scoobyc
Scooby Regular

O yeah. Forgot to mention my leval of back ache! Jesus. I can only open the door to the first notch so trying to get into the footwell my back is twisted and bent and everything. Combined with yanking the intercooler out cos the strut brace is on = pain.

Cant believe how quickly i just did it all again now i have an idea whats going on.
Old 29 December 2008, 06:27 PM
scoobyc
Scooby Regular

Right Then. All in. Been for a quick 20 min boot and it all seems OK. No new oil leaks that i can see.

Plenty of smoke from where it leaked before. Need to clean engine and see if it happens again tomorrow.

Engine Temp works fine. However the last 100 yars it was fluctuating by 20 deg, and flickering off. I think perhaps dicky connection in the back. Gauges have stayed in the pod and the pod has stayed on.

Looks like job done!

Just need to keep an eye out for any leaks and get them sorted.

Boost is making about 16PSI that ok?

Trending Topics

Old 29 December 2008, 06:47 PM
AndyMoody
Scooby Regular

Boost sounds about right, mine is approx 15PSI.