Sponsored by:

Old V New

Search this Thread

Old 19 February 2002, 08:39 AM
gibbo_ireland
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi all,

I read with interest the topic regarding Old V New and peoples thoughts. This topic could go on for ever but it was solely around a UK300 Vs P1. Within the next 5 months I will be buying my first Impreza and sadly can only go for one of the "Standard" (if you can call it that) models such as a new WRX or older MY00 Turbo.

I really havent made my mind up which I prefer. The new one is definitely better built, but the older one is really for the younger driver and getting on a bit.

My question to you all is, with a 2002 WRX or 2000 Turbo in mind, which would you choose if you had to.

Sorry to double on topics, but Id really need all the help I can get to make up my mind.
Old 19 February 2002, 09:18 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

current shape- look at how many ppl on here go on about waiting for the 2003 makeover before they buy because of resale etc... the 00 is a car that is no longer made and in a few years (when you try to sell) it will be looking olddddddd. (looking a bit old already or should i say classic wasnt that what the first MR2 became- the MR2 Classic, i remember i wanted one sooo badly but as soon as it became a classic i went off the idea)

Tiggs
Old 19 February 2002, 09:56 AM
carl
Scooby Regular

I still prefer the Mk1 MR2 to the later (Ferrari-style) ones which became a bit 'hairdresser' (and bigger).
Old 19 February 2002, 09:58 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

carl, me too but would you drive one 5 years after the stopped making it?
Old 19 February 2002, 10:06 AM
carl
Scooby Regular

Actually I'm thinking of buying one as a track-day car/runabout. Either a decent one for 1500 quid or a non-runner with sound bodywork to drop the 4ZAGE supercharger conversion in. Should be OK for going to work and back in the summer (I like 4WD in the rain...) and halve the annual mileage on the Scoob.
Old 19 February 2002, 10:16 AM
Paul78
Scooby Regular

The MY 2000, IMHO is a better looking car in standard form than the newer models.

Once you start adding bits and changing the lights then there isn't really anything in it.

The MY2000 has also got more mid range punch and ( in standard form ) and is more 'classic' Scooby.

However, the car ( and model ) will be 5 yrs old when it is sold - but as you see on a regular basis in the for sale of this BBS - there will always be a market for the slightly older & reasonably priced Scoobs..

At the end of teh day it is a matter of personal preference - they both have pros and cons ...

Old 19 February 2002, 10:29 AM
gibbo_ireland
Scooby Regular

What Id be concerned with is the extras you WOULD have to buy if I decided to go for the newer WRX due to its terrible front looks. Therefore its going to be more or less another £1000 when you look at it onto the price to make it easier for you to stand the sight of the thing in the mornings! First thing has to be the lights to go, then wheels, then front spoiler.

With the older MY00 you dont necessarily have to start with the looks and can go straight into enging tuning!

Regarding performance, will the new WRX leave me disappointed in comparision to the older version?
Old 19 February 2002, 10:33 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

buy an old one, you clearly dont like the looks of the new and seem to have doubts on its performance- get an an old one and be happpy

but when you sell it in X years bear in mind it will be very old looking compared to everything else (except other very old cars )

Tiggs
Old 19 February 2002, 10:34 AM
Paul78
Scooby Regular

Neither car will dissappoint - Don't be worried, they simply provide different experiances..

The older Scoobs have a rawness about them, they are less civilised - but again in my opinion due to this more fun and exciting to drive.

The newer basic models are more refined, and generally more comfy -However they do lack that edge...

I havn't really experienced the new models so am not best placed to comment ...

I'm sure someone can be a little more constructive !
Old 19 February 2002, 12:01 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

I would rather spend £17k on a X reg MY00 and then another £3-4k upgrading the front and rear spoilers, front grille, colour coded side skirts, eibachs lowered suspension and finally some decent wheels and tyres. If you want to see how nice the old shape looks with a few mods then take a look in the members gallery at (sorry but silver is the dogs bollox): Scoty's Scoob, POCs Scooby or This Silver Scoob

And I alsp reckon they sound better - check out Squizz's Turbo
Old 19 February 2002, 12:03 PM
JoeyDeacon
Scooby Regular

Cool

P1Fanatic,

Thats all very well but how gutted are you going to be having spent 20K on the car when you trade it in and the dealer offers you 12K for it....

Have to say from a financial point of view, buying a new age Impreza is ALWAYS going to be the right move.

Oh and you are right, silver is the best colour. I had a DBM one and regretted it EVERY time I saw a silver one.

[Edited by JoeyDeacon - 2/19/2002 12:04:40 PM]
Old 19 February 2002, 12:06 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

im afraid as someone who never really looked at scoobs much before 2001 i reckon the old ones look...err...old!

now loads of old car enthusiasts can flame me but unless your lucky enough to sell the car on to one of them you will get hit at resale cause you have an old car and it looks it!

Tigs
Old 19 February 2002, 12:16 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Talking

And to think boy racers can now afford older shape scoobs that may look like yours!! That would be enough to persuade me!

MY01 and beyond..........................
Old 19 February 2002, 12:32 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Tiggs - to be honest at 2-3 years old youve missed the major hit of depriciation. Its all down to what you like. You could get an import WRX and spend £5k on mods for the price of a UK WRX if value for money is what your after.
Old 19 February 2002, 01:29 PM
mattski2
Scooby Regular

at the end of the day it is purely down to personal preference. I have recently been in the position where I could choose either new or old, I chose 'old'. Why?

Well, for me the 'classic' shape is an Impreza, not the new shape ('old' ones look *much* better ) and yes, they do have a rawness about them but that is what I wanted.

All of this talk about depreciation and so forth is pretty irrelevant imho, get the car for what it is and what you want out of it, if depreciation was a real worry you would not be buying an Impreza (maybe a turbo-diesel Mercedes E class).

I think you'll be happy with either, get one that turns you on...

M
Old 19 February 2002, 01:29 PM
Gridlock Mikey
Scooby Regular

Wink

I've got an MY00 and i bought it just as the MY01 was hitting the showrooms. I drove 'em back to back for quite a few weeks, trying to justify the MY01.

It had far superior build quality and that was it! CD player and aircon, so what? CD players cost next to nothing and we are in England for crying out loud so aircon, whilst nice isn't vital IMHO

As far as handling is concerned, i'm no race driver so on the limit driving is what i do accidentally but driving round town, a few Carriage ways, a bit of motorway and the like, the MY01 was a nicer place to be (As an ordinary motorist) On the back roads though, the MY00 kicked ***. It was a noiser, more rough experience and everything i wanted my scoob to be The MY01 was probably as quick or even quicker but just didn't feel like it and as such, for me, missed the point in having a car with such a massive reputation.

I had my financial head on, resale values were an issue for about 2 weeks and then i thought "sod it, i've always wanted a scoob, and the one that i'd "grown up" wanting was the "classic" shape. The MY01 was not an issue to me 5 years ago! so why should it now, so i bought one of the last MY00's to be registered.

I can honestly say, that i've never thought about whether i've made the wrong choice, when i go to meets, i look at MY01/02's that look fantastic (Dr Evils' to mention but one) but I have a soft spot for the older cars, To me there is something truly raw and aggressive about those cars that the MY01> seems to miss.

I got the MY00 cos me heart told me to

When i change, it will be for a P1 not STi7 (I don't think )

Mikey (BIG fan of the older cars, but hasn't got a problem with newer ones)
Old 19 February 2002, 03:10 PM
Osama Mc Donalds
Scooby Regular

What do you think??
The Old shape looks much more classy and it has a much better image the newer models are slower and IMHO more of a plain looking Car they really don't appeal to anyone like me who wants to look good while crusing

Osama

[Edited by Osama Mc Donalds - 2/19/2002 3:12:00 PM]
Old 19 February 2002, 03:15 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Talking

To summarise this thread

I think MY01's are better. MY01 owner
I think pre MY01's are better. Pre MY01 owner.

Some of the justifications are also very amusing!

Old 19 February 2002, 03:45 PM
Gridlock Mikey
Scooby Regular

Wink

LOL @ davyboy

Sooooo True

Mikey
Old 19 February 2002, 03:54 PM
Osama Mc Donalds
Scooby Regular

Shouldn't that be

I think MY00's are better. MY00 owner
I think post MY00's are better. Post MY00 owner

Also I think that it's healthy that most scooby owners enjoy the cars they own and drive.

I just happen to know that the Classic Scooby is far seperior looking Impreza and better to drive
Old 19 February 2002, 03:55 PM
stephen emery
Scooby Regular

my01 corners better
Old 19 February 2002, 04:40 PM
wilf
Scooby Regular

For me new car is too light and floaty its also ugly. It is nice and comfy to drive fairly quickly in.

Its hardly clever pointing out that old shape owners prefer old cars and vice versa. If new shape owners didnt prefer the new shape they wouldnt have bought them. Many old shape owners have had the chance to buy the new and didnt (myself included twice now).

I do like new shape UK STi but it wont persuade me out the the P1 just yet.
Old 19 February 2002, 04:41 PM
stephen emery
Scooby Regular

can't afford a new one then wilf
Old 19 February 2002, 05:07 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Wilf -
Its hardly clever pointing out that old shape owners prefer old cars and vice versa.
Thanks

[whisper]Old shape cars suck ***![/whisper]
Old 19 February 2002, 05:13 PM
chuckster
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

If I wasn't sitting on a £6k loss I'd sell my MY01 and go back to a MY99 with PPP, that or get a MY01 STI. I don't like my bugeye . It's all down to personal taste of course.
Chuck (ex-my97, ex-my99 with ppp, current 22B and MY01)
Old 19 February 2002, 05:20 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

I reckon the 'Classic' is the one to get for one BIG reason, the MY01/02 will ALWAYS be the UGLY one - when the 2003 facelift is out and residuals will be terrible

Pete
Old 19 February 2002, 05:39 PM
akshay67
Scooby Regular

For me, the old/classic shape is the authentic Impreza. This was a cult car of the late 90's...the rally successes, the Gran turismo computer games...I'm afraid, Imprezas of this generation just don't cut the mustard like the classic ones in terms of image and looks, as it was the classic impreza that really made the name.

Also, you should get an objective opinion (i.e. from someone who doesn't own an Impreza) on whether old or new is better. I can tell you that nearly everyone I have asked (and mostly women) prefer the looks of the older shape (99/00 to be precise).

Old 19 February 2002, 05:45 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

lol- lots of "it was this" and "it was that" being used by old shape owners- WAS WAS WAS, not everyone lives in the past otherwise we'd all drive around in Capris cause they were good once too.

Tiggs
Old 19 February 2002, 06:02 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Cool

I had the choice as decided to replace my UK 98 turbo at the motorshow launch in 2000. If it looked good in the flesh I was ordering an MY01. The day after I brought an MY00 WRX , I didnt want an MY00 UK as there was little point in trading my MY98 as it had only done 11K.

I looked at both cars and the figures. The RA has 276 and weighes around 1230kgs the WRX was 215 and weighes 1385kgs. Simple maths really to work out the better power to weight and a good indicator of the way the cars performance will compare. It also meant I was looking at heavier modified 310bhp in the WRX just to equal the RA, the price difference was negible (1K difference) and both cars were obviously new.

Okay the new STI UK has 260 and a rumoured PPP of 300 but isnt the STI even heavier ??. My point from the start was that the car was crying out for 240 bhp from new due to the extra rigidity, this along with the new styling put me into a "classic" Japanese import.

I accept styling is in the eye of the beholder and neither car is exactly italian styling but I simple didnt like the styling when it came out. I have seen a few MY01's and 02's which look very good and have been very nicely and tastefully done but they have all have their front ends modified to some degree (DTS and CTS, PeteC's and Graham@TSL to name but a few of the best I have seen).

This obviously wasnt available when I made my decision. Looking back its funny that both the UK300 and new STI have both have the headlights altered.

Did consider an STI UK as I think this back to what the original WRX should have been and at 26K a very good price.

I accept things move on and depreciation wise I will take a massive hit when I trade the RA in but I enjoy driving it which is surely the point in buying the car in the first place .

I will be looking at an MY03 STI hopefully though .

cheers

Chris
Old 19 February 2002, 07:14 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Hmmm - if you want to buy a car based on how much it will depriciate then buy a £500 piece of junk or buy german. Anything else will lose money (admittedly some more than others).

Tiggs - new doesnt automatically mean better by any stretch of the imagination. With the older shape having lost already on depriciation you can buy one and spend a few k making it into the car of your dreams instead of buying a stock new WRX which in my opinions needs around £5k to make it look even close to respectable.

To me the old shape has a raw and evil look - it basically says "dont f*ck with me".

I dont own either (in fact am being drawn away from a scooby altogether due to being crucified by insurance if I do buy one even before mods) so you cant pigeon-hole me into sticking up for my car. Both are very similar in performance and each can be easily tuned to out perform the other. At the end of the day the only difference in the real world is the driver - that said the only thing left to decide on is the looks. Some like the old, some like the new - there is nothing wrong with that and I think we'd all do well to remember that.